motorcycle carry - Page 2

motorcycle carry

This is a discussion on motorcycle carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry when riding but still don't have "the perfect method" for accessibility. I've thought about something called "The Thigh Pack" but would rather see ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: motorcycle carry

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I carry when riding but still don't have "the perfect method" for accessibility. I've thought about something called "The Thigh Pack" but would rather see it and not order blind before knowing if I'd like it or not..
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    The Army has cops? LOL (JOKING I R ONE - well retired one anyways).

I've taken to wearing the new Army Delta motorcycle jacket as it breaths real well and dosent over heat. It conceals my shoulder rig or in the pants holster but is only used when were actually putting some serious miles on the bike (over 100) as around town I stick with the untucked t-shirt and my colors on my vest.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    The Army has cops? LOL (JOKING I R ONE - well retired one anyways).

I've taken to wearing the new Army Delta motorcycle jacket as it breaths real well and dosent over heat. It conceals my shoulder rig or in the pants holster but is only used when were actually putting some serious miles on the bike (over 100) as around town I stick with the untucked t-shirt and my colors on my vest.
    Is this the jacket you mention?
    http://www.newenough.com/protective_...le_jacket.html
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've been wrestling with this as well, and I haven't found a good solution.

First thing is this: despite the convenience, I would not want my gun in a shoulder holster or anywhere above my hips. The reason being that my ribs are much more likely to break than my gun if I fall on that spot.

I've considered a low-mounted thigh holster, but that makes it real difficult to conceal, especially off the bike.

I've also thought about mounting a holster somewhere on the bike, but this has problems too. If my bike and I are separated suddenly, I'm without my weapon. I can't leave the gun on my bike when I'm not next to it, because it's not secured. It would also be hard to discretely transfer the gun to on-body carry when I arrived somewhere.

Another option would be to leave it in the lockable under-seat compartment, which secures the gun, but also makes it unaccessible.

The best I've come up with has been wearing my IWB normally with my jacket over it. It's not easy to get to, but at least it's on-body and concealed. If anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it.

I usually just hang that Terminator shotgun around my back while riding my Harley. No need to worry about conceal carry with that action going. I'm still working on making that thing cock with the spin of the gun. ;}
    john

I have carried while riding my bike for many years. I use a fanny pack that has a rip cord on the front and back top corners. I carry the PT140 in a position that i can draw with my left hand and still control the throttle and front brake lever with the right. I don't use the safety on this pistol so I don't have to be concerned about it being on the wrong side. I have a small shooting range on my hunting lease 18 miles from home, so I practice regularly with the left hand, one hand control. I first found it difficult to use the left hand with any accuracy, but with practice it came around. I also practiced left handed sitting on the bike.

I found myself in trouble with some 1% gangsters on the road between El Paso and Carlsbad in New Mexico, heading to a Fall rally in Ruidoso. Myself and another rider came close to getting our asses beat by a greater number of gangsters. I really think standing up to them and showing no fear saved our butts. I have carried in New Mexico ever since. Even when New Mexico didn't reciprocate with Texas CHL. I will never be in that position again if I can possibly prevent it.

A fanny pack made for carry with all the velcro inside and an adjustable holster is an excellent way to carry while riding. Just remember to spend some time practicing with the left. It don't come natural.

As a LEO and Medic, I've rolled up and many a many a bike crashes. Funny thing, not once has any of the gun totting riders (civilians and leo's) complained about an injury caused by them landing on their weapon, regardless of where it is. In a barrel roll down the highway, your arms will protect your rib area and your hips will bounce over the weapon placed there.

I know a number of bikers who routinly carry ankle rigs or shoulder rigs and they all work. I guess its like carrying off the bike, its your call and totally what you feel comfortable with. Me I wont carry in a tank bag or saddle bag cause I dont carry a purse when I get off my scoot.

Ohh ArmyCop...ya thats the jacket. $150 for mine delievered.
    Steve

How about the chest rig from http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm?

Might not be ideal in a motorcycle crash, though...maybe a shoulder holster is safer.

Hey AgentX....that is an awsome rig. Love mine with my little guns while running. Heck even carried a Sig 228 in one as a PT gun when on protection detail. As a medic I'd prefer to work on your side being hurt than you putting a gun through your chest on impact, LOL.
    Steve

Bah, you can just start wrapping some ties around the gun/holster combo to help deal with the chest flail...it's like having a custom-made dressing for the injury already in place!!

tanker holster

My every day carry is a 1911 or a Glock 17. I recently purchased a replica M-7 tanker holster to wear when going for recreational rides. I mostly commute on my motorcycle and use my IWB holster but I was looking for something to wear exclusively on recreational trips when I keep my riding jacket on, so I got the chest holster. I have only used the M-7 on three short rides so far and I like it. If long term testing works out I will get a nicer vertical chest rig.

I got the holster here- http://www.sarcoinc.com/ww2m7-hol.html
    Attached Images

right now i am considering a fanny pack or my 5.11 tactical vest that has inside holster pockets like the coronado vest. i don't know how smartcarry would work on the bike. the survival sheaths off duty chest rig looks interesting. long term i hope to get a coronado leather jacket and/or vest. still open to ideas.

front pocket of the jacket works for me.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I usually just carry IWB normally. Maybe something different for longer trips, but probably not.

I don't like the hassle of moving stuff around or having to have my jacket on, etc. I definitely don't carry a stinking fanny pack.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by longtrain58 View Post
    I carry the PT140 in a position that i can draw with my left hand and still control the throttle and front brake lever with the right.
    I'm surprised you're the only person to mention this. I guess it goes without saying that you should carry in a left-handed position regardless of your handedness. The problem comes when you get off the bike and might want to switch back to strong side. And I don't think too many people will get into rolling shootouts. Another tidbit worth mentioning is your first instinct should be to hit the gas and get away if you can. I have yet to put any of this theory to use, but make sure if you want it accessible that it's in an area you don't have to contort yourself to get at and possibly lose control of the bike (like drop it or inadvertently kick it into first).
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links