Awesome Revolver article

Awesome Revolver article

This is a discussion on Awesome Revolver article within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Enjoy. Some great points for defending the revo. http://www.snubtraining.com/pdfs/Why...sBeatAutos.pdf...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Awesome Revolver article

Awesome Revolver article

Enjoy. Some great points for defending the revo.

http://www.snubtraining.com/pdfs/Why...sBeatAutos.pdf
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Excellent article. I carry a taurus .357 snubby when i go jogging.

Lead Moderator
    Nothing wrong with a revo, but I hate the revo VS. semi slant the article seems to take. Either will get the job done if the operator does his/her part.
    I have trained with both ,prefer semis, but sure as heck respect revos too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I like revo's too, but "Looks nicer" isn't really one of the criteria I base my handgun choice on... Many of those other "reasons" were aimed specifically at novices - amatuers who won't train, won't maintain their weapon, won't learn their weapon, etc. Many others were just answers to non-asked questions; half-truths and selective comparisons about reliability, ammo selection, trigger pull, capacity, and a bunch of other crap...

The revolver is tried and true, and has its place in the handgun world - it doesn't need arguments like this one to defend it.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Assistant Administrator
    I ''teethed'' on revo's and, love 'em to death. I have carried three different ones but - these days am a semi carrier and find it suits better in many respects.

Neither is necessarily ''the best'' - it depends on an individual's tastes and requirements. I sure would still not feel under armed with a revo as the only piece on my person.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Still prefer a semi as my primary weapon, but cant think of a better back up weapon than a j-frame. Friend of mine just got his ccl and really isnt up to alot of weapons training. My suggestion (that he is following) was a S&W 442. In fact another agent just asked the same question as he never carried a back up before and is himself buying one. Maybe I'll find someone who'll buy my old model 36 so I can buy one too, LOL.

Anyone but me remember qualifying with a wheel gun and dump pouches or cartridge slides? LOL. Funny the young guys now days complain about the times during qualifications and we did the same times with revolvers and dump pouches .... and man if you had a speedloader you were way hi-speed.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    I've qual'ed with my P228, Glock 19, M9 (for the Army and my Agency), S&W 19, Ruger SP101... Like I said, revolvers have their place, and - properly employed - will be sufficient for the majority of armed citizen encounters. For my purposes, however, a semi- is more suitable.

I just didn't find many of the arguments in that article compelling for a serious firearms user... Revolvers are good enough without that hot-air blowing brown-nose-fest of a list.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Good link for us snubby novices. Thanks...
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Ron
    I carry one or the other depending upon what I am wearing and where I am going, in terms of ease of pocket carry and threat potential. Both have their place.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Moderator
    No offense intended here, but I think if you were to go through some real-world FOF scenarios you'd see immediately the limitations of a revolver.

You can talk about "...if 5 shots won't get it done then..." all you want. Do the training and see if you shoot more than five shots.

I think we've moved from the days where we shoot the BG one time and he drops, to shooting until they're not a threat. I believe we have moved beyond the flawed concept that high capacity means everyone will pray and spray. Hopefully, we're getting past the notion that we won't miss in a gunfight. We need to be getting past the point that we'll be able to reload in a gunfight. All the training I've had, heard about, and seen, indicate that one will finish the gunfight with the ammo in the gun; one simply will not have the time and opportunity (and it takes both) to reload during the gunfight.

I like revolvers myself. I took one to Gunsite's Advanced Tactics class. But that experience convinced me that I would never carry a revolver as a SD gun.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

In NYPD's SOP-9 over the course of 10 years the average number of rounds fired by Officers in a gunfight was 5.2. There is a lot of different stats out there regarding rounds fired in shootings, so numbers can be grabbed to support either side's position. One other report I read stated that the average gunfight between bad guy and LEO is 4 rounds with 2 for each side.

I have carried a semi auto for a long time and recently switched to a revo (my first one) for personal defense. I feel that 5 rounds and a reload it is more than adequate FOR ME for off duty carry. As an LEO I feel that situational awareness is still the most important aspect of personal defense.

I just thought it was a good article for revo fans. I fully support anyones position on what, where, when, why and how they carry.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

This is about the same as the .45 vs 9mm debate.
    Carry what works for you.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, I think some of his points were pretty good, but I certainly don't think there were 25 "good" reasons. Also, I was taught to reload with the strong hand because it was a fine motor skill, & that ability would decrease in a real situation. Having said that, when I went through the Police academy, I got proficient enough reloading my revolver, that I was quicker than most & as quick as the quickest using semi-autos. I used my strond hand to load with. Having said all that, as quick as I was loading a revolver, I'm quicker loading an auto.

I don't know how old the article was, but most semis have a loaded chamber indicator on them now, & some have 2 of them. The number of rounds fired in a shooting are going up. Multiple attackers is increasing.

I don't dislike the revolver, I used one almost exclusively as a back-up & primary off-duty for 7 yrs or so. My wife's SD gun is a Dan Wesson .357 revolver (Along with an Ithaca police special shotgun with 00 buck & slugs). But as times get worse & the chances of you confronting multiple BGs increasing, the revolver becomes even stronger as a BUG, but as many posters have said, they go to a class & realize they might need an auto to defend them & their own.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Moderator
    I'm saying this because this subject could have life and death implications. I'm not bashing revos, anyone, or what they carry. I realize sometimes we choose a gun because we like it, it has a warm place in our hearts, but too often that's all we base our decision on.

What I've said, and what I'm about to say is my opinion based on a bunch of training and FOF scenarios.

First, this is nothing like the .45/9mm debate. The .45/9mm debate deals with two calibers with little proveable/demonstrateable advantages. Both work and both fail. It is very difficult to design any kind of test or develop any kind of statistics that resolve which is better.

But revo and semi effectiveness can be clearly demonstrated in FOF scenarios. It is important to realize that the 'issue' at stake here is not nastalgia, a bet, etc. but your life. You are literally betting your life that you can resolve a gunfight in 5 or 6 rounds. If you're planning on reloading a revolver it simply isn't going to happen. You'll never get the time and opportunity and probably not have the fine motor skills to do the reload in a gunfight. I believe the same thing is true for a semi - you simply won't have time and opportunity.

Since few of us, if any, have actually been in a gunfight, we really don't know what works 'for us'. The best we can do is evaluate those 'needs' in a FOF gunfighting scenario. I've done it both ways, revo and semi. I will not carry a revolver after what I've seen and experienced. Even a simulation of a gunfight is a sudden, violent, aggressive, essentially unpredictable, dynamically changing event, consisting of generally more than one BG, some of which you may be aware of and some you may not. You may or may not be able to use cover. It is certain that you and the BG will be moving. Not every shot is going to be a good hit, some may not hit at all.

Another stat that comes into play is incapacitation time. I.e. the time it takes for the BG to cease the attack. Fifteen seconds is an 'average' time of incapacitation. Know what speeds that process up? More holes. The goal is to stop the attack without getting shot. Overwhelming the threat with hits is one way to do that.

We need to be very careful about those 'average rounds fired in a gunfight' because you can 'hear' anything. Even if the average were 2-3, that means some had to fire more than 2-3 and some less to get the 2-3 average.

I'm gonna bow out of this, I just want you to be sure that 'what works for you', with your tactics, and skill level that 5-6 shots will get the job done. It is highly unlikely you will get to reload.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Ron
    Thanks, Tangle. You provided much food for thought. I always appreciate posts, such as yours, whether I agree with them or not, because they cause us to at least step back and rethink an original position.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links