Thinking about a small revolver

This is a discussion on Thinking about a small revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking about getting a small revolver. I went to B&S Guns in Garland tonight and had a GREAT discussion with the salesman ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a small revolver

I have been thinking about getting a small revolver. I went to B&S Guns in Garland tonight and had a GREAT discussion with the salesman Reese. He showed me the black S&W 442, the grey S&W 642, and the dark grey S&W 340. They were priced at $399, $419, and $699 for the 340. The 442 and 642 are 38 special and 38 special + P, while the 340 is 38 special, 38 special +P, and also 357 magnum. The 340 had night sights.

I do not know which is the better buy. The prices seem a little high, but am okay with paying a little more since I would have a place to ask questions and such.

What do you guys think?

Joe

I do not know which is the better buy. The prices seem a little high, but am okay with paying a little more since I would have a place to ask questions and such.
    Keep that attitude, it is first class.
    Too many people nickle and dime the gun stores into oblivion.

I love and trust my SW442. Easier to conceal in warm weather than my XD. I paid $350 for it new. Point and shoot is easier than you may think. Been debating crimson trace grips.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I just posted about two friends who asked about small revolvers. One guy is a civilian with no weapons experience and the other is another agent who hasnt carried a back up before. I heartly recommended to both the same one, S&W 442. I had a S&W 340PD in 357 and it was to brutal, and almost double the cost of a 442 which is only 3 oz heavier. In fact once I get my 1911 CCO style semi then my next purchase will be a S&W 442 to replace my old (its kicking 14 years now) S&W 36. I think that 10oz less on my old ankle will be a blessing.

Ok one more thing. I notice that your also from the DFW area. I have found that Sportsmans Warehouse has the best prices around on most firearms. The old price on the S&W 442 was about $350 but S&W just jacked up thier prices on all their weapons. As of Friday, Sportsmans Warehouse in Lewsiville is selling the 442 for $390ish.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

depends what you think you can shoot..

the lightweight 357 are as said brutal but don't buy just a 38 model the 357 have better resell even if you only shoot 38+P in it

I know I have said this a few times on this forum, but the 642 is a great gun. Very concealable and surprisingly accurate. I can manage the recoil pretty easily, but have never shot a snubby in .357 so I can't compare. I feel comfortable with it in my pocket with +P's. Good luck, but I don't think you can go wrong.

I went with a 442. I didn't see what the extra $$ really bought me, and I like blued guns.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    My EDC is a 642 and I really like it. Personally I disqualified the 340 due to the price.

I carry my 642 loaded with Speer 135gr +P's. It conceals well and I am looking forward to carrying it this summer.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I don't know jack about S&W... I owned a S&W 459 9mm semi-auto many years ago and loved it! Was a great gun.

My revolver experience is with Ruger. I have two SP-101's (snubbies) one in .38 spl. and one in .357 mag and I also own a Stainless Speed Six with 3" barrel .357 mag.

The Rugers are great guns! Those little SP-101's will shoot anything! +P+ no problem. The .357 will digest anything. They are strong pieces and still rock solid after a dozen years of steady shooting. The rubber grips standard on the SP's are great at soaking up recoil. The snubbies are very accurate at 15-20 feet and lightning fast.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

personally, and I think this goes against conventional wisdom, but I think the semi's are more reliable for personal defense. IF someone is able to grab the cylinder on a revolver - it won't fire, but a semi with one in the pipe will.

Some will say that a revolver is more accurate, but take a look at what the Secret Service uses to guard the President, what SOF use, what most policemen use.... A well maintained high quality semi (XD, HK, Sig, MK) will give you greater capacity and reliability as good as any.

IMHO.

Administrator
    "IF someone is able to grab the cylinder on a revolver - it won't fire, but a semi with one in the pipe will."

Actually...push the slide slightly back on semi-autos to take them out of battery and they won't fire either.

Just FYI
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I love the snubby revo, and I prefer one that is lite, I had a ruger sp101 that was a pain to carry because of its weight.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Ron
    I have the 642 with CT laser grips and love it. Easy to pocket carry, will take +P ammo, and recoil is manageable. Lot's of folks highly recommend it.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

True, but it's doubtful in most hand to hand situations that you'll be pushing the gun towards the assailants body and the assailant will be pushing it towards yours - if he has a hand on the slide. The natural reaction is to pull away from the other person or to the side... if it dose then discharge, there is a good chance of hitting the assailant or his hand/arm and being able to recover for a second shot.

Again, there is a reason this is the gun of choice for the Secret Service, Homeland Security etc.. and SOF units.

It is because it improves your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "IF someone is able to grab the cylinder on a revolver - it won't fire, but a semi with one in the pipe will."

Actually...push the slide slightly back on semi-autos to take them out of battery and they won't fire either.

Just FYI

I bought a 442 that I pocket carry in a Kramer. I did not think that the 340 warranted the price. Spend the money saved on ammo.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links