Tell me if this dumb.. - Page 2

Tell me if this dumb..

This is a discussion on Tell me if this dumb.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; commonality of weapons is good... to an extent. I see nothing wrong with getting a handgun for each member of the family if you are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me if this dumb..

commonality of weapons is good... to an extent.

I see nothing wrong with getting a handgun for each member of the family if you are all on the same page regarding that. (do they all want one?) I don't believe in forcing something on someone who does not want that responsibility.

Age of the children is not as important as is their level of maturity and responsibility and level of training in firearms. (Massad Ayoob was carrying a full size concealed .45 1911 in his fathers jewelry store at age 11.)

There are lots of "pre-teens" who shoot competition events with full size, full power weapons so enough said regarding age of the children.

As far as everyone having the exact same gun? Good in theory, but in practice, you may find what what fits one member, may not fit another member of the family.

What you do want, and I believe takes presidence over commonality of parts, magazines etc... is that each member of the family be comfortable with the weapon in their ability to handle that weapon safely (manual of arms) and shoot it accurately and consistantly!

If everyone can handle and like the same make, model and caliber of gun, then great! Buy all the same... however, I have found that with six individual people, you may find that "one gun" does not fit all.

I also feel that someone who can afford to go out and buy a $500 pistol for each of his family members can also afford to have at least one shotgun and one centerfire rifle which many consider to be paramount to having a good all around "Home Defense System".

Good luck in your pursuits! You have a great attitude!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thats not a bad idea...but I would not go .45 - thats a fairly large caliber for less experianced shooters. I would keep a few 9mm Glocks in stock to hand out for emergency use. Also as Lima said, each member should have a task/specialty....you could assign the youngest to a .22lr for rabbit hunting, an older child as overwatch, etc.....

Dont think I would go for six....maybe 2 or 3 - say if you and one of the kids need to go into town you carry your normal sidearm and the child gets a Glock. If the kids are out working in the garden, one takes a Glock the other does overwatch with a shottie, .223, etc....

Now if you are planning on doing a major bug out you may want each to have a firearm if they are seperated....me I am bugging IN (out in the country) so I will have plenty of stock on hand to arm the locals!!!!!

what happens if the 45 is to much for one of them or their like me and hate glocks.
    Get them one they can shoot well if they all pick the same one great.

Since you asked about pistols, I'd say go for it. There is nothing wrong with commonality, especially when it comes to ammo. I have whittled it down to three: .308 for my sniper, .308 for my AR-10,.45acp for my handgun and 12ga for my roit gun. Im also in the process of getting an AR chambered in .45acp as a shorty.

Back to pistols. For a LOT less money than the Glock, Id look hard at the SA XD45 Compact. Grip is fatter, but IMO a better all around choice.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I have an XD 9 already, and some other various stuff, I do like the XD I haven't had it for very long and I am not sure about reliability. But I bought it one the recommendations of some friends and I have seen the torture tests that Springfield did.

This seems a bit extreme, but if I were to do it I would probably look at a 9mm instead, like a Glock 19. The 9mm ammo is quite a bit cheaper but still packs a great punch. That should be important so everyone can afford to shoot their new gun often enough to feel like it is an extension of their own hand.

Personally I like the XD-9 a lot better, but the parts for the Glock 19 are easier to come by for an emergency fix.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

This is the kind of info I am looking for, I am waffling between 9mm and 45. The 9mm ammo is cheaper and would be easier for the smaller folks to handle. But the good old 45 acp it's as American as apple pie.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    "That's what I tell my wife".

Then what is the real reason? Are you just looking to get everyone guns so you can shoot together?

What's the real story?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    "That's what I tell my wife".

Then what is the real reason? Are you just looking to get everyone guns so you can shoot together?

What's the real story?

Does everyone in the family want guns?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

kpw
    While I'm not going into the good or bad idea part of this. If I were to arm 6 people in my household with the exact same pistol, it would be the Glock 19. It fits a wide range of hand sizes. Easy to learn, easy to care for and has a fair rep for being reliable and durable. My 10 year old has no problem shooting it but she doesn't like .40s...yet.

If everyone is going to become proficient, then they are going to need to shoot. The more pleasurable they find shooting is, the more they will want to do it, the more proficient they will become and the more confidence they will have. By all means, train them all to shoot what is available, but I'd vote for a variety of calibers rather than a one size fits all. If my10 year old enjoyed shooting a .380 for example, but was intimidated by a larger caliber, the larger caliber is going to do her precious little good. She won't shoot it enough to get proficient, and she won't be able to use it with confidence.

My recommendation is that you educate them and give each family member a say in what "their" gun will be, then be sure they all shoot some with the others, in addition to their favorite.

Adopt me please!!!
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Any shooting they get to do now is major progress. While pistols are good, buy them shotguns and get them out to the range to practice, practice, practice!!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

What the hell, if it doesn't work out, you can always trade them. I purchased each one of my sons a gun, they picked as well as my wife. They are all very proficient in the use and care of them, which is the key anyway.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by turdherder View Post
    This is the kind of info I am looking for, I am waffling between 9mm and 45. The 9mm ammo is cheaper and would be easier for the smaller folks to handle. But the good old 45 acp it's as American as apple pie.
    Stick with what your gut's telling you. 45acp has stopped more bad guys than all other calibers combined. I don't find it any harder to control than 9mm and no where near as obnoxious as .357, or .40.

You started on the right track. Don't waver now.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links