Tell me if this dumb..

This is a discussion on Tell me if this dumb.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to purchase each member of my family an auto for "emergency situations" ( thats what I tell my wife). I want them all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me if this dumb..

Tell me if this dumb..

I want to purchase each member of my family an auto for "emergency situations" ( thats what I tell my wife). I want them all to be the same so if a gun goes down all the spare parts will be the same, mags are all the same, and these kinds of reasons. I have 4 kids, so with me and the wife that makes 6 total firearms. I am looking at the Glock 36, 45 acp ammo is pretty common and fairly inexpensive, the smaller grip would allow my small handed kids and wife a fairly good grip. Tell me what you guys think.

2. Remove Ads

I like the idea of commonality of parts. By kids, I assume you mean they're all adults legally allowed to possess firearms. (just checking).

The only concern I have is that firearms and fit/POA/POI / etc is very subjective and individual. But in a SHTF emergency situation, common equip could be a VERY good thing.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

If a situation would be so terrible that I would need to arm my entire family I would not be looking at pistols...
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Kind of the Southwest Airlines approach to home defense... :)

I prefer to celebrate diversity...
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

.45 seems like a large caliber for "kids". If things are that bad in your neigborhood, I would just put a loaded shotgun in every corner of my home...
    I'm married to my Kahr.

I like the idea. Although you should have them all handle one before making any purchase to see if they all are comfortable with the pistol.

I would only add that I think it is a very bad idea to give a gun to someone who hasn't made the decision FOR THEMSELVES that they want to have and/or carry one. Maybe this is not your situation at all, but we seem to get this discussion on here every now and then... "My wife doesn't like guns but I am going to buy one for her, because she really, really needs to carry one. What should I get?"

Some people may feel differently and they are, of course, entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that the only remotely-rational response to the question above is, NONE!!! Trying to push a gun on someone who doesn't want one is a dumb, DUMB thing to do!

So, go ahead and buy the guns if you want. Teach the wife and kids gun safety and how to shoot. Nothing wrong with any of that. But the preparedness to use a gun in self-defense is a very personal decision that--no matter how you might try--is really not something you can push onto someone else. Each one of us has to make that decision for ourselves.

Good luck!

VIP Member
    I don't think it's dumb but personally I think it's extreme. I would prefer an assortment of weaponry that everyone is familiar with.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Well worth doing. While pistols are not the optimal SHTF arm,they are concealable and transportable with ease. Supplement them with a pair of Remington 870s (or SKSs, or maybe another mid-caliber carbine set) in the home, and you're more than prepared.

me
    I like the Idea but would make sure they all could handle the same gun first, but buying a group of guns with the same manual of arms is a good idea. We have an assortment of pistols for my family but all are DA (Except one Dad has put up [SA]). We have 2 revolvers, a Glock, a Kel-tec and a M&P. All have pretty much the same manual of arms and can easily be picked up and fired by any family member - youngest 17.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    If a situation would be so terrible that I would need to arm my entire family I would not be looking at pistols...
    Agreed... If something is happening that requires EVERYONE in your household to be armed it's going to be a pretty big SHTF scenario. My recommendation would be to have a variety of weaponry and make sure you have enough ammo and magazines to accommodate that variety.

And we are talking about in the home security, not carrying, I assume.

Treat your family like a team.. Each team member has a different specialty and responsibility.

Military or Police teams have snipers with scoped rifles. They have their entry guys with assault rifles and pistols. Each team member has something different they are chosen for. Some do explosives, some something else (I would hope you wouldn't have to use explosives, but you get my point).

Your youngest should be your "ammo guy" the guy that runs from position to position with fresh ammo and helps reload for the person doing the shooting.

Every household should have a rifle, a shotgun and a pistol to cover all of your bases. Find who's best with what and designate that person the official rifleman, shotgunner or pistoleer. Cross train to make sure everyone can at least effectively use each weapon should they have to, but let them do what they do best with the weapon they do it best with.

As far as children being ready and/or willing to use a gun in a time of necessity.

By the time I was no more than eleven, when my parents used to leave us kids home alone, my father would bring out a revolver, he would go over the basics of it with all of us. He would load it, put it in a drawer next to the door and say, "If anyone comes to the door that you don't know and tries to get in, shoot first, ask questions later."

It set a valuable basis for my adult years and letting me know with certainty that I could carry a gun in self-defense.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 15th, 2007 at 11:42 AM.

Senior Moderator
    I agree with Lima but would add different weapons but the same caliber.

My wife and I came to the conclusion that we want to concerntrate or calibers to .357, 9mm, .308, and 12ga. With revolvers being dominate. I have to add .30 carbine becuase my wife likes the little M-1 carbine so much that we have to get another one (I like it too, its better if we both get to shoot them than take turns).
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

+1 to Lima and pgrass101. Never a bad thing to be prepared. Also if this is for a SHTF kind of thing then you will want to make sure you have your long guns too.

I asked about the pistols figuring that you guys would have some input, I am wanting to get each a long arm that does double duty as a hunting rifle, a shotgun, and a pistol and as they start to move away to give them to each child as they leave . At this point they are all to young to possess there own firearms and obviously buying 18 guns and the assorted ammo and accessories is going to cost a little. So this project will be drug out for a little while. Although if I walked into my local gun shop and ordered them all it might out a smile on their face.

Senior Moderator
    At least you can start out with the basics..

Even just for the two of us, we have four long guns.. a Benelli, a .223 M-4 type AR, a SOCOM and a .17 HMR with a scope.

We then have six or seven handguns... maybe eight (I'm loosing count). Two of the guns are chambered in .40 so that I can share my husband's magazines.

A new Sig is joining the family here in a week as well. It's good to have variety but it's also good to stick with common ammo. All of our pistols are either in .380, .40, or .45 and we have a .22 for target practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links