Fullsize carry

This is a discussion on Fullsize carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Glock 23 size pistol is as small as I would want to go for EDC. I prefer a full size pistol, but make do ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fullsize carry

VIP Member
    The Glock 23 size pistol is as small as I would want to go for EDC. I prefer a full size pistol, but make do with what I have available.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njeske View Post
    i what i'm wearing will conceal a full-size pistol, then i carry a full-size pistol. if what i'm wearing will not conceal a full-size pistol, then i have a couple of smaller guns to choose from.
    That's it in a nut shell

My primary carry is a 5" 1911 year round. When the situation requires deeper concealment I carry my S&W 642. I'll be switching to a Glock G19 shortly due to weight and recoil savings (bad back), I don't really care to go much smaller for a primary weapon - though I AM working on a .380 PPK for use as a "suit and tie" gun.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    If I'm not carrying my full size 1911, I'm carrying a Commander size. Find them both easy to conceal.

I carry a Government Model 1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special year round. Conceals well and is quite comfortable. I have been carrying a 1911 since Uncle Sam "gave" me my first one, 32 years ago!
    I sometimes carry an XD-9 Sub Compact when I want something a little lighter or am training a class where the majority are using "more modern" designs.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I usually carry something in the 4.25" - 4" barrel range with no problems. But I have several smaller ones as a option if I want.

I have two handguns, a Glock 17 and full size 1911. I also live in the Las Vegas, NV area the past week till the fall the average temp is 90+. I mange to carry conceal IWB with polo, aloha, and t-shirts with any shorts with proper belt loops. CCW with full size handguns is not a problem for me.

With a good belt and a well made holster from Sparks, Comp-Tac, Blade Tech, Rosen, or a few other the average person can carry a full sized handgun concealed pretty easily. I prefer the IWB in the warm weather and have lately really got to liking the Woolrich Discrete Carry Shirts. I also put the spare magazine in the pocket to reduce the bulk.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

IMO The right holster makes all the difference when carrying a full sized gun.

Just the other day I carried my full sized XD-45tac all day in shorts and polo shirt. No problems at all. The reason? My Crossbreed Supertuck.

YMMV
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

That's what I do. I just like my Commander better than any smaller gun. If absolutely necessary I'll go down to the Kel Tec P3AT or Smith J-Frame, but usually I've got the Commander and have no trouble concealing it.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

me
    I carry a regular size M&P .40. I consider this a full size gun. A full size fits my hand better and I shoot better with them.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by glembe View Post
    I have two handguns, a Glock 17 and full size 1911. I also live in the Las Vegas, NV area the past week till the fall the average temp is 90+. I mange to carry conceal IWB with polo, aloha, and t-shirts with any shorts with proper belt loops. CCW with full size handguns is not a problem for me.
    I too live in Las Vegas and carry a full size 1911. With a decent belt and IWB holster, concealment is not a problem. Im not a big guy either.

Oh yeah. First post!

PPCPilot, please consider that you may have to use your gun. If you use it, it needs to hit hard enough to have a reasonable expectation of stopping the other fellow's actions RIGHT NOW. That means that the gun you select can be no less than the minimum you believe necessary to effect its purpose. Probably indicates a service sized gun, as well, but there are very fine examples in compact sizes.

You will hear the audience cry that bullet placement offsets weight and / or velocity. They are right in theory (a .22 in the medulla oblongata) but terribly wrong in practice. Consider that you will probably be reponding in dim light to a small (the areas on a man's body that can be relied upon to result in an instant stop are few and tiny), moving target while your heart beats like a triphammer. Under these conditions, it seems to me best to select a gun most likely to stop a preditor's actions with a single shot to the torso. There aren't any. Thus, one must approximate. Something beginning with .4 would be a nice place to start.

Everything I've noted above, PPCPilot, applies to women as well. I can't tell you how distressing it is to hear "I want to get a small gun. It's for my wife". Small guns -- and small calibers -- are very hard to shoot well under duress. And even if shot well, they cannot be relied upon to stop large men. Small guns and small caliberes are best left for people you don't care about.

Buy a decent calibre in at least mid-sized interation. That's Problem 01. Concealing it is Problem 02, and may require some adjustment in your wardrobe. The thought here is that if you carry a gun, you may have to use it. At the moment of impact, which calibre would you most like to be striking the man who is trying his best to kill you?

I personally like a "handfull" of gun. On duty I always carry a 2nd gen Glock 22 in a Safariland 6280 duty holster. Off duty I have been carrying my 2nd gen Glock 23 in a Galco "Concealable" OWB holster. However, I am about to order a Comp-Tac "Infidel" IWB with the big clip for my G23. I also thought about an XD-40 SC with an XD Gear X-Tension on a full size mag, hence making the grip on it the same as a full size, but they always hang up on me when I go to do a mag change.

Quote Originally Posted by ppcpilot View Post
    Would you as a 'low risk' civvy carry a full size 'service' type weapon over a small pistol? Especially if you can't carry at work? I'm thinking the benefits of a larger weapon for self defense would be better than those of a smaller one...and since my carry would be pretty much delegated to weekends and night trips during the week, would the 'inconvenience' of a full size piece not be a big deal due to the small amount of carrying being done? Summer time is also a question I would have..I wear either polo - type shorts or denim shorts..would a full size be a drag in 90+ heat? What if it's not an all day carrying?

I know some say to carry 24/7, but that's not going to happen in my house...we keep it locked at all times, and if someone were to try and enter, the shotty would come out. But I do take trips around town and on the weekends for no more than maybe 3-4 hours at a time.

If this were to be your carry behavior, would you go to something like a BHP, Glock 19, CZ, (trying to stay 9mm or .40) or would you go subcompact like 642, ppk, glock26, Keltec, etc...

I carry a 1911 until it gets hot and then I carry a pt-145. Same caliber, smaller weapon.

I do a lot of walking and running in the desert and mountainbike riding and I found the 1911 was just too cumbersome in the heat during those activities so I went with a smaller lighter weight weapon in the same caliber.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links