Kel-Tec PF-9 Owners -- Chime In

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF-9 Owners -- Chime In within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered a Kel-Tec PF-9 and was curious about your experiences with this gun and what you had to pay for yours. There are ...

Thread: Kel-Tec PF-9 Owners -- Chime In

Kel-Tec PF-9 Owners -- Chime In

I just ordered a Kel-Tec PF-9 and was curious about your experiences with this gun and what you had to pay for yours. There are none currently listed on GunBroker. There are several listed on GunsAmerica with prices ranging as high as $495.00 (for a gun with a MSRP of $333.00). I assume that prices run high because of lack of availability. The two internet sites I usually check are Bud's and Davidsons. I've never seen one on Buds and while Davidsons lists them, they show them as allocated meaning they are only available to their best dealers. I bought mine for $285.00 from a dealer on GunsAmerica. Adding $15.00 for shipping and $9.00 for CC fees brought the total to $309.00. I hope this ones turns out to be as reliable as my P-3AT.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont have one , and have not seen one yet . I do have a Kahr pm9 and eagerly await the range report that you no doubt will post . Please dont make it too good since ill really be mad if it mesures up to the Kahr when you consider prices LOL . Seriously tho i heard of some issues on about the first 100 of the production run , but the issues seem to have been addressed by kel tec with speed , and of course warranty handled it for the buyers . Let us know how you find the little beast tho if you would .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I imagine that its an acceptable backup. I a P-11 several weeks ago and found the trigger pull very hard . They say its 8.5 pounds but feels heavier More like 10. Trigger itself is uncomfortable pinches my trigger finger.I don't Know if the PF 9 is any better. Very concealable however. Not made for +p. I can attest to Kel-tec service. My P32 FTF after 20 rounds. Hammer would not fall. Kel-tec repaired and returned in 23 days. Does not say much for reliability but many people will swear by them. I would not carry a Kel-Tec because of my experience.I have both for sale now.I replaced the P32 with a Berreta TomCat that I got for $318 delivered. Good luck with yours !

Tex just so you know the PF 9 trigger will be far better than the p11 , the pf 9 uses the same system as the p3at which gives a great trigger but sacrifices the double strike capability .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I've got one, got it for $269, which is still a little high for a KT, They're really pumpin' em' out now and you ought to see the price settle below the $250 mark soon. My impressions, good little pistol, but like most Kel Tecs, it helps to put a little work into them. If you're finger is getting "pinched" by the trigger and trigger-gaurd take some 200-400 grit sandpaper to it and sand off the mold marks. The PF-9 trigger is almost as light as the P-3AT, and P-32's (not that they're especially light). I need to put another 1-200 rounds through mine before I take her apart and go to work with the sandpaper, dremel, and action magic. I expect everything will smooth out well after that, and by that time I might actually have a holster from K&D. But I've got 100 rounds through mine, and have no failures so far (knock on wood), though I have yet to run HP through it. Just remember, Kel Tecs are not glocks, they like plenty of lube.

Just remember, Kel Tecs are not glocks, they like plenty of lube.
    IMHO even compact glocks run better wet than dry . When you go compact for any round or any action lube becomes important. If you want to " run dry " then stay full sized , cleaning and lube become critical as you go small where the basic design does not have the built in " fudge factor " such as slide mass to help chamber .

Hoss,
    My dealer got one last week, I was given first divs on it and I passed. I did not pass because of any negative issues with the pistol, I passed for two reasons: one- If and when I order, it will have the Hard Chrome slide option. I like the way it changes the appearance of the pistol, of course that is just my personal preference. two- It was a little larger than I hoped it would be.. I still think it is fine for pocket carry in a good holster, but will not give "quite" the degree of deep concealment as my P3AT. I may still order one at a future date, but I have a couple of other handguns (not pocket rockets) that are on my somewhat short list....I think my dealers price was 289.00 plus tax, and that is in georgia ( he of course sold it couple days later )
    I really do like my P3AT, it goes with me everywhere it is legal...
    Good Luck
    Lloyd

Eternity is a long time, do you know for certain where you will spend it?

I bought one at the last gun show in Raleigh, I got to the show 1.5 hours after it started and bought the last one in the whole place. I paid $279 for it. I thought it was a salesman ploy when the salesman said he brought 6 of them and only had the one I was holding left. A line of ~5 people had formed behind me, when I laid it on the table to look at the P3AT, the guy behind me actually reached around me and picked it up and started telling his buddy that was the gun he was looking for. I immediately told the salesman I would buy it and he told the man to pass it back to him. The guy got mad and stormed off, followed by the others lining up behind him. The last guy in the line came up to me a told me I made a good decision because he was going to buy it if he got to it. I know it was the last one because I checked again later and nobody in the whole show had any.

I have one. It's back at Kel-Tec right now. Bought it for $279.00 plus tax, lubed it, took it out to the range. 100 rounds of 115 grain Winchester White Box ball ammo, only 2 FTF. (Rounds nose dived from the mag) Fed 20 rounds of 135 grain Federal Bonded Tactical +P without a hitch.

Nice trigger, like the P3AT, no second strike capability. Recoil actually not bad for a 12 oz. pistol, it does jump, but nothing uncontrollable. Doesn't hurt at all to shoot with +P, wish I could say that about my J frame Airweight.

Went to break it down, just like the manual says to...using a 9mm shell casing rim to pry out the assembly pin. A large chunk of the assembly pin broke off. I figured, well, it's already broke, I might as well pull it out with pliers and order a new assembly pin. No such luck. That pin would NOT come out. Took it back to the gun store, and the gunsmith couldn't get it out, either.

I will sacrifice capacity, and even caliber (to some extent) for a nice, light, concealable handgun. I will NOT sacrifice build quality or reliability. It will be for sale as soon as it comes back. I just hope my J frame isn't mad at me for cheating on her.

No second chances with me. This is a potentially life saving tool that I may need one day. Now I wish that an established quality gun maker would manufacture a pistol that slim and concealable. What I wouldn't give for a Glock or S&W that small!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I don't have one., have never seen one, have never shot one. I do have a P3AT. When some dealer close to me has one, I will buy it. Don't care about price, I will have it!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I just bought one for hot-weather carry and to back-up my 1911. I put 150 rounds of hardball handloads through it on the first day on the range, disassembled it to check for shiny spots, reassembled and then did two magazines (14 rnds) of Fiocci jhp. Had one stove pipe with the handloads and the slide wouldn't fall on the first round of jhp and I had to jack the slide (probably lack of lubrication). Everything else went swimmingly.
    I'm a sa guy so the dao long travel trigger seemed to take forever. The recoil was very managable and the accuracy at 15 yards was adequate (all within 8"), even with the take-forever trigger pull. It's something that I have to get used to again. I attribute the less-than stellar accuracy to me forgetting the basics and not fighting the urge to simply get lead on target. (I'm working on that whole impatience-thing)
    The fit & finish are ok for a plastic-and-pot metal firearm. I can't get over the grey metal barrel...it looks like the cheap sintered-metal machine parts that my company used to get from China but seems to shoot well. There were very few wear marks after the 150 rounds. The gun grips well even in my medium to large hand when I used the extended magazine butt (included). The molding mark on the inside of the trigger guard ate a hole in the bottom of my trigger finger. I have since sanded the trigger guard and plan to tape my finger for future range work.
    The pistol disappears in a iwb, tuckable holster. It points well and for the $269 price tag, imho, it provides good protection when I can't carry my gun(s) of choice. (Kimber...Benelli M4...Abrams M1A2...whatever)
    I just wish I could find a supply of mags.
    Buy it!
    Good luck, be safe and train hard.

I am waiting for the price to even out. I do have a P3AT and like it. Steve48

Links