Why revolvers?

Why revolvers?

This is a discussion on Why revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, call me a newbie if you must... I'm certainly pretty new to the world of concealed carry. I've been shooting about 4 years now, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why revolvers?

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar

Why revolvers?

Alright, call me a newbie if you must... I'm certainly pretty new to the world of concealed carry. I've been shooting about 4 years now, though, and I've never understood the rationale behind using revolvers... really for anything, but certainly for concealed carry.

It's not a bias, IMO, but it's probably more a function of not really knowing the up sides to revolvers. I've read PLENTY on here where people talk about buying a new revolver, loving revolvers, etc.

What am I missing?
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Mostly depends on preference.

Revolvers have been around for a very long time, are simple to learn, use and repair, and most work the same straight out of the box as they do after being drug through hell and back.

Autos do have their advantages, mainly in capacity/ and reload speed but often they need to have feed ramps polished, springs replaced etc etc.

That being said I like them both, although I do not shoot snubbies very well, so for CC I will use an auto.

Best advice is to shoot what you are comfortable with. Leave the debate to others.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Senior Moderator
    When you expect bang but get 'click':

Auto - tap, rack, re-engage
    Revo - pull trigger again

A much simpler failure drill (assuming, of course, a double action revolver).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

revolvers

i have been told that revolvers do not leave spent brass at the sceen if that matters to you.

Revolver advantages

A revolver of a given size is often easier to conceal than a semiauto of similar size. This is not intuitively obvious, and you probably would have to experiment with both types before you come to believe this. I believe the reason is that the revolver's shape is very curved and rounded, with a thin barrel (compared to a semiauto barrel and slide), and a thin, curved grip. The revolver is a little wide in the cylinder, but this doesn't seem to matter much in actual use, because the cylinder is short in length compared to a semiauto. I have found that short barrel revolvers, in the right belt holster, really tuck tightly into the body and don't tend to print on cover garments.

As mentioned by others above, revolvers also have reliability advantages over most autos, and are less likely to jam or fail to fire.

If you want power, there are available small revolvers in some very powerful calibers, such as .357/.41/.44 magnum, as well as .45 ACP. These compare quite favorably to the power of common semiauto handgun calibers.

And regarding the capacity and reloading time disadvantages of revolvers compared to semiautos - it may not be that important in most civilian CCW scenarios. I believe that most civilian self defense encounters are settled with 0 to 3 shots, and the 6 shots in a typical revolver will probably handle 99% of the conflicts that a civilian might experience.

If you have to ask...you wouldn't understand.

Just kidding! A lot of guys - myself, included - "cut our teeth" so to speak on the good ol' revolver. I still have a passion in my heart for a Smith & Wesson revolver. It's just truly a work of art and the epitome of reliability! The revolver will work when the auto won't! When you drag a rusty ol' Smith model 10 out of that dusty ol' leather holster, you KNOW it's gonna work!

Senior Moderator
    For me a snubnose revolver is easier to conceal than any auto of similar caliber and price range. The .38 spl is a proven round so is the .357 mag the two most common caliber revolvers carried.

My wife like the revolvers because they are simple. Pick it up make sure there are rounds in the cylinder, pull the trigger. If it doesn't go bang pull it again.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

My .38 spl revolver is the easiest to carry, most concealable firearm I own.

My .357 magnum revolver has an immaculate stock trigger and is easy for my wife to use (she cannot rack the slide on semi-automatics)

Revolvers are simple tools, you don't have to teach your friends to use one if you take them shooting, teach them the safety rules then tell them "point and shoot".

A revolver has very few moving parts, yes, they CAN break but there is generally less to break.

And finally, I'm not going to get into the reliability debate, but consider this. With very little exception most $250 new revolvers will fire every time, no matter what. They are as reliable as a $600, $900, or $1200 revolver (although they may not have all the bells and whistles, and may not be as accurate). Very seldomly can the same be said about a $250 Semi Automatic (at least any that I've had the pleasure of shooting).
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Pete,
    I carry a S&W model 65-5 3" every day. I know it will go bang if needed. I don't need to think (or worry) about immediate action drills.

Try to find a thread questioning how many rounds you need to run through a wheelgun before you think it's reliable to carry. I doubt there is one.

I also shoot revolver in USPSA matches. I've learned that, with six rounds, every round counts. There's no "spray and pray" with the wheelgun.

Watch (or shoot!) a USPSA match and see the difference between the round gunners and the bottom feeders. The revolver shooters are about accuracy first. (now, before you flat gunners get excited, I shoot bottom feeders too )

Dave

You wanna sell that 65?

Quote Originally Posted by robinsonre View Post
    With very little exception most $250 new revolvers will fire every time, no matter what. They are as reliable as a $600, $900, or $1200 revolver (although they may not have all the bells and whistles, and may not be as accurate). Very seldomly can the same be said about a $250 Semi Automatic (at least any that I've had the pleasure of shooting).
    Most $250-$350 revolvers shoot better than $1200 1911's do! I just can not say enough good things about S&W revolvers!

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    A revolver of a given size is often easier to conceal than a semiauto of similar size. This is not intuitively obvious, and you probably would have to experiment with both types before you come to believe this. I believe the reason is that the revolver's shape is very curved and rounded, with a thin barrel (compared to a semiauto barrel and slide), and a thin, curved grip. The revolver is a little wide in the cylinder, but this doesn't seem to matter much in actual use, because the cylinder is short in length compared to a semiauto. I have found that short barrel revolvers, in the right belt holster, really tuck tightly into the body and don't tend to print on cover garments.
    That has been my experience as well and one of the reasons I choose to conceal a revolver.

There are very few firearms of proven fighting caliber that conceal and carry as well and as easily as a Smith & Wesson J frame short barrel revolver or similar weapons from other makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    You wanna sell that 65?
    Nope! I carry it daily and use my 3" 66 for nice outings!
    Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    Nope! I carry it daily and use my 3" 66 for nice outings!
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Aaawww...C'mon! Hell, I'll drive to Kentucky to pick it up at your front doorstep! I want a 65 3 incher!

Assistant Administrator
    I also ''teethed'' on revo's and love 'em - even tho I now use semi for carry.

But - two things that IMO need remembered (no three even), that can stop the wished for operation every time.

1) - Even the smallest piece of crud getting under the star can make cylinder hard to turn.

2) - Similarly - a high primer can be catastrophic - binding on recoil shield and making rotation hard or even impossible. (inspect ammo for carry first to check).

3) - If the ejector rod comes unscrewed even a fraction - once more - cylinder can bind up.

This is mentioned not to put anyone off revo's at all - just to ensure there is awareness. These things aside then yeah - the revo should go bang every time!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links