Newby! Needs Help!!! - Page 2

Newby! Needs Help!!!

This is a discussion on Newby! Needs Help!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it's price that's a factor............don't rule out the police trade-in guns...GREAT guns, maintained well, shot little but with lotsa holster wear (it won't effect ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newby! Needs Help!!!

If it's price that's a factor............don't rule out the police trade-in guns...GREAT guns, maintained well, shot little but with lotsa holster wear (it won't effect the machanical function of the gun.. but blueing is just a coating and if you buy a blued gun......it will look the same at some point in time)....or a good used handgun. LOTS of people buy new, only to trade em in on something else they can't live without. S&W 669/6906 series... Glock 26/19... The Smith M&P series and the lesser loved sigma series might be a good strater as well...
    Sig P226,,,p229....p239 series are great ideas.. as well as the Springfield Armory XD series guns.. If you have a public range that allows you to rent a gun......I'd suggest going there and trying a few to get the feel for what you really like... Hope this helps.. and let us know how it's going
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Keltecs are meant to be light weight and easily concealable. They are not intended for a lot of target practice. Sure you can shoot them, but this would not be a gun you would want to put several hundreds rounds through every weekend. Being so lightweight they also tend to sting your hand a bit, after a few magazines worth of ammo.
    As was said, it was intended to carry a lot and be ready to use, IF needed. I'm very happy with my Keltec .32 & P3AT, and I carry them a lot. They truly are guns that you can find a way to carry in near any situation, where legal.

If you want a gun you can shoot a lot on a regular basis, as well as carry, I go with one of the others suggested, a Glock, Kahr, SW MP Series or a quality pocket sized revolver from SW or Ruger SP 101.

Quote Originally Posted by quickdrawkinker View Post
    WOW, I'm really beginning to like this website The only reason I'm attracted to the Kel Tec is because of it's size, I would be willing to spend more to get better quality if I could find one with simillar specs. I will look around at some of the suggestions you guys have graciously offered--I'm sure atleast one of them will fit the bill. Thanks again!
    If size is you main issue I would look at the Kahr PM9.

I carry one at times as a third gun, in my pocket. Usually I carry an N-Frame Revolver with a J-Frame as a BUG. I do find that Kahr has the best, IMHO, DAO Trigger out there. There have been "issues" with reliability in some guns, but Kahr has been very good about standing behind their product.

My Kahr has been 100% reliable since the "Break-In" period. One thing to remember about a Kahr, it likes it's lubrication. In fact, speaking of reliability, I have another Kahr on Lay-Away. This one is a P45.

Biker

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have to agree with Biker, if you're looking for an auto. I've heard about Kahr problems, but I haven't experienced any with my PM9, nor have I heard/seen any with the several friends/co-workers that one of the Kahrs.

If you're looking for light & inexpensive, I'd say go for a Kel Tec. They're not high-grade, but they're not meant to be.

If money isn't an issue (To a point, I'm sure), then you probably can't go wrong with a Kahr. Any of them. Personally, I like the PM9's light weight. If it's my primary, I put the extended mag in to allow me a full grip, & then I carry the 6 rounder as an extra. The Kahr PM's are so light & thin.

Well, good luck
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links