Newby! Needs Help!!!

Newby! Needs Help!!!

This is a discussion on Newby! Needs Help!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey All I've been looking for the perfect 9mm for my CC gun, I really like the looks and size of the Kel Tec PF9, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby! Needs Help!!!

New Member Array quickdrawkinker's Avatar

Newby! Needs Help!!!

Hey All

I've been looking for the perfect 9mm for my CC gun, I really like the looks and size of the Kel Tec PF9, but don't know anything about Kel Tec??? Is this a gun you guys would recommend? Is there anything else close to it? Thanks!
    Quick

Oh, Lord.. You have unknowingly opened up a can of worms here. There are many here that love them and many that do not. I would recommend that you do a quick search and read a few of the many, many threads on exactly this topic that already exist.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Administrator
    Keltec is good at what they do... making low cost guns that are meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.
    Look around here www.Ktog.org
    "Just blame Sixto"

Look into a Kahr arms P9. They are a little more spendy, but they have a longer, more accurate barrel length and they are easily concealable.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

I still dont get the whole "carry a lot, shoot a little"? I like to shoot. In fact, if I was able to shoot daily I would be in heaven.

How do you get good with your side arm if you rarely shoot it?

What can you afford?

Are you looking at Keltec because it is cheap or because it is better? I suspect it is the former, but I'm not sure because you haven't given us much information about why you favor Keltec.

If you are asking for advice on a good quality, smaller 9mm that will probably work every time and stand up to a good amount of range practice and years of use, then I would suggest:

Glock 26 or 19
    S&W M&P 9mm compact
    Walther P99 regular size or compact
    H&K P2000sk
    Sig P239

On KTOG, they talk about the PF9 being less reliable than the P11. If you insist on the KelTec in 9mm then I'd lean more toward the P11.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Welcome to the forum, Quick! And search, search, search! Lots of brains to pick here on CombatCarry!

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I still dont get the whole "carry a lot, shoot a little"? I like to shoot. In fact, if I was able to shoot daily I would be in heaven.

How do you get good with your side arm if you rarely shoot it?
    +1

me
    I shoot my P3AT as ofthen as possible. I put atleast 10 rounds through it every time I go to the range. If I go specifically to shot it I will shot about 20 or so out of another gun. I shoot it to remain proficient only.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The perfect 9mm CCW piece.... hmmm...

Well I can recommend the Glock 19 or 26, Springfield Armory XD9 Subcompact, and maybe the Smith & Wesson M&P. I personally stand behind Springfield and Glock.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I'd say it depends on what you are looking for. You said you are looking for the perfect CC gun, but I personally have thought of KelTecs as good BUGs (back up guns). For your primary you might look at something a little bigger like some of the people have already recommended. I'm not sure if this one has been recommended but I just got a Springfield XD40 in the Subcompact 3inch barrell. They make an XD9 in the subcompact as well.

www.springfield-armory.com - cool site
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Kel Tec makes good cheap guns , and tho i have not owned a pf9 i am shure it is a fine weapon . It is not the smallest , it is not the best , but if you can live with acceptable accuracy and keep it clean it may well be the best choice for you . You should note that i have spent a bit of money on KAHRS for my carry guns tho , so i really dont want to hear that i could have had as good had i waited a year or two lol . Basicly tho the pf is a scaled up p3at action and should show the best and worst of it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Kel tec's pf9 is a newer gun and i dont believe it would be the best choice (yet) for a primary weapon.

Your perfect ccw piece may not be the same as someone elses.
    your best bet is to go rent and shoot or at least handle several of the choices offered and get what feels right to you.

New Member Array quickdrawkinker's Avatar
    WOW, I'm really beginning to like this website The only reason I'm attracted to the Kel Tec is because of it's size, I would be willing to spend more to get better quality if I could find one with simillar specs. I will look around at some of the suggestions you guys have graciously offered--I'm sure atleast one of them will fit the bill. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links