Carry a lot, shoot a little?

This is a discussion on Carry a lot, shoot a little? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just posted this in reply to another thread. Still bugs me (or I don't get it), so I thought I would ask in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry a lot, shoot a little?

Carry a lot, shoot a little?

I just posted this in reply to another thread. Still bugs me (or I don't get it), so I thought I would ask in a new thread.

Shoot little carry alot? Do you get good at shooting it a little? Is this a disposable thing? I like to shoot what I got. If I could, I would shoot more, or all the time.

You just dont/cant do that with some firearms? I know some are no fun after so many rounds etc.

This saying has kept me from buying certain pistols.

2. Remove Ads

What he means is he wouldn't trust the keltech's reliablity if you shot it a lot.

Meaning it won't last.

Administrator
    Some pistols are designed for just such things. Strength is second to carry ability. The other type is like the lightwieght J frames... stuff them with +p or .357, they are no fun to shoot but they are easy to shoot and great ccws
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 17th, 2007 at 01:53 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As six said it is a multi meaning phrase . All guns have a " round count " shelf life ( the number of rounds the action will stand up to ) In at least one case by S&W ( the .380 sigma ) it was as low as 3k rounds ( By smith's original reccomendation ) . Other compact guns are uncomfortable to shoot , like the S&W hurtyourhandieum J frame .357s . You naturaly will carry them a lot and shoot a little due to pain thresholds . Right there is two extreme examples of the statement from one manufactorer . Its just an example and i in fact like S&W guns be they auto or revolver . The point ( IMHO ) is that traditionaly we have defense guns which get carried , and range guns that get shot . The seperation is not as bad as it was say 20 or 30 years ago but it still happens , a guy will pickup a pistol to carry , and then shoot another at the range for whatever reason . So the phrase has become an " icon " for all failings from why i bought a POS pistol that wont function to why i dont shoot my small carry gun enough to become accurate with it . Dont let the phrase by its self exclude a pistol , research the gun , and if it looks ok try it to see if it will work for YOU .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    There are only few firearms that are carry a lot & shoot a little.
    One that I can remember off hand was the original NAA Guardian in .380

There was a good reason for that.

It is because the maker wanted to put the most powerful cartridge possible into the smallest firearm possible.
    For ultimate ease of conceal ability and mostly intended for Law Enforcement.

The gun was intended for seasoned shooters and for Law Enforcement to use as a back up. It was not intended to be shot with multitudes of rounds as it would shoot loose.

It was never intended to be a range gun.

It was intended to be a specialized firearm intended for one specific purpose and that was as a last ditch back up that could be carried all the time and reserved for saving ones life at close range distances should the primary firearm fail. I believe that NOW the NAA .380 can be shot a lot more since there have been advances in metal technology since the original ones were first made.

Guns that are intended to be carried a lot and shot only a little were compromise firearms. They compromised some durability for light weight and small size.

Another one I can think of was the .38 Special J-frame that was custom modified to shoot .357 magnum.
    Again same exact reasons.
    A gun intended for a professional who already was a practiced shooter and just needed the smallest lightest BUG possible for a daily carry weapon.
    Constant shooting of .357 in the gun would shoot it loose and cause it to eventually go out of time.
    The folks who carried it knew that in advance but, wanted it for its one intended specific purpose.
    Which was to have the smallest, lightest, .357 which was modified from a little .38 Special.

Some extremely large bore and powerful derringers fall into this category...again for the exact same reasons.
    So no...the guns are not disposable but they do have a specific intended purpose that compromises and sacrifices some structural strength for ease of carry which is more important than durability for some people.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    "Shoot little, carry alot." It's a term typically for pocket guns. Guns that are so small &/or light that they're not really meant to shoot thousands of rounds through them, nor would you want to. They're typicall just not comfortable to do so.

As an example, Seecamp .32. Basically, no sights, very light & small. You can't get a full grip on it & you can't really target shoot with it. So, you shoot it a little, maybe quarterly or be-annually.

As far as practicing with your weapon, a primary probably shouldn't be one of the "shoot a little, carry alot" guns. Sure, people do, & many will 2 or 3 of them. That's fine.

My little AMT SA .380 back-up is not a fun gun to shoot. Because of the SA trigger, that's not bad, but I can't get a full grip on it, it's too small & basically no sights. I can't shoot more than a box of ammo through it at one time & enjoy it.

My Kahr PM9 with the extended mag is decent to shoot. My Taurus PT145 Mil Pro is actually quite fun to shoot. It's shorter than a Glock 26, but has a full grip on it (Not to mention it has 10+1 rounds of .45!), so shooting it is not bad. The same with my Glock 36. That's actually a sweet shooting gun (Too bad I want to sell/trade it).

Hopefully, this explains some of it.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Nice gun in your avatar, but I couldn't help noticing your finger on the trigger.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

A lot of what you all are saying is what I thought originally. I do my research (especially when I have time on break) the best I can. I get it on the J frame stuff. The .38 +P's make my smile at the range, but I don't shoot as many of them as the white box stuff.

Most of my confussion came from the limited life on some pistols, ie. break in is so many rounds...then you have only so many more it it degrades.

Thanks for the clarification. This forum is by far the most kind and generous one I have experienced.

Yeah I know, finger on the trigger is not good gun etiquette/saftey. The pic was made for other reasons seperate from this place. FYI, it isn't chambered and pointed in a safe direction. Suppose I should make a new one that is a bit more proper. I was wondering when someone would say something.

me
    Yeah Zero I dont shoot my kel-tec for extreeme range visits but If I plan to shoot it alot that day I will take a second gun as a more comfortable shooter to give me breaks. Shoot little may for some of us mean not many rounds at a time, my max is 4 mags through it and I need a break
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Funny - I'm sure I break all of the rules of Kel-Teks, but I have thousands of rounds through my P3AT, and I haven't had a single problem (knock on wood). It's a beast!
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

I agree with Sixto's interpretation. The KelTecs are not range guns, meaning they are not the funnest guns to shoot at the range. They are very easy to carry though.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Lead Moderator
    I don't carry my NAA .22 derringer much, but carry it alot. My other carry guns get shot quite a bit, but carried more.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Yeah I know, finger on the trigger is not good gun etiquette/saftey. The pic was made for other reasons seperate from this place. FYI, it isn't chambered and pointed in a safe direction. Suppose I should make a new one that is a bit more proper. I was wondering when someone would say something.

All is forgiven, My Son.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I wouldn't WANT to shoot my Kahr PM40 a lot. It's downright unpleasant! Very, very easy to carry, though.

On the other hand, my Ruger 22/45 is all kinds of fun to shoot. I could spend ALL DAY at the range with it, and the only pain I'd feel would be from sunburn. Can't think of a reason why I'd want to carry it, though.

I kind of like my Taurus PT1911 as a compromise. It's fun to shoot, and comforting to carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links