Why the Ruger SP101

Why the Ruger SP101

This is a discussion on Why the Ruger SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger makes some great guns, and when mentioning defensive revolvers the SP101 is easily at the top of the list. If you own an SP101 ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree303Likes

Thread: Why the Ruger SP101

Why the Ruger SP101

Ruger makes some great guns, and when mentioning defensive revolvers the SP101 is easily at the top of the list. If you own an SP101 what made you choose it? Was it looks, price, features, caliber, barrel length-weight-size, or are you just a Ruger fan?

I've always gravitated towards S&W's but there has always been a draw to the SP101, I find it an attractive platform while offering a great selection of features. I would love a .357, a 9mm, and one of my grail guns would be a 2" in .22 LR, why didn't I buy that .22 back in the day when I had the chance.

Tell me why you choose the SP 101 or why you would choose it.

Edit: Pictures welcome.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Ruger makes some great guns, and when mentioning defensive revolvers the SP101 is easily at the top of the list. If you own an SP101 what made you choose it? Was it looks, price, features, caliber, barrel length-weight-size, or are you just a Ruger fan?

I've always gravitated towards S&W's but there has always been a draw to the SP101, I find it an attractive platform while offering a great selection of features. I would love a .357, a 9mm, and one of my grail guns would be a 2" in .22 LR, why didn't I buy that .22 back in the day when I had the chance.

Tell me why you choose the SP 101 or why you would choose it.
    I have owned 2 S&W revolvers and a SP101. I broke 2 Jframes in the span of about 3 months. The new S&W revolvers just aren't built like the old ones. The Ruger is a TANK. Run out of bullets? Use it as a club. If your going for pocket carry I don't think it's a great option but for IWB I think it's a great CCW revolver. The extra weight soaks up a bit more of the recoil from .357's making them a bit more comfortable to shoot. Also, it doesn't have that annoying cylinder release that grinds your thumb knuckle like the J frame.
    Wasp, 10thmtn, gen3 and 8 others like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Rugers are Rollo-proof...that's why I like them. (Good to see you posting again)
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Dumb luck. Actually, I read a little, but didn't like the fact that the early .357 models were limited to 125 grain loads. By the time I had saved enough dough to start looking at buying a new revolver, the LGS shop shared that the newer ones weren't limited in their load. That was 25 or so years ago. That little 3.15" SP101 is a great shooter and a solid gun. Not too many years ago I changed out the stock grips for Hogues. That made it even better.
    gen3 and Eric357 like this.

Senior Member Array Air,Land&Sea's Avatar
    There's something about it that makes it my #1 gun of all time all things considered.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse those who are free from thought.

I have a SP101 because I haven't gotten around to getting a SW686 yet.

VIP Member
    ...If you own an SP101 what made you choose it? Was it looks, price, features, caliber, barrel length-weight-size, or are you just a Ruger fan?...
    All of the above!

Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

It just feels solid. You know by the heft in your hand its going to be reliable, but its not too bulky. I also find that its easier to open and close the cylinder compared to S&W and older Colt's I've handled.

I happen to have the Spurless model, which I think just looks and feels better than the S&W internal hammer design. S&W's design just feels hokey in comparison. Yes, I like it because it looks sexier.
    Kilowatt3 and Eric357 like this.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

My GP100s had lost their little brother until I found him hiding in the LGS.

Aside from that, It's built like a tank and can handle even my rather warm hand loads with ease.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why the Ruger SP101-sp101.jpg  

Why the Ruger SP101-trio.jpg  

wmhawth, Kilowatt3 and Eric357 like this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

There isn't much I can say about the SP101 that hasn't already been said. The good reviews abound.
    High on the list of Ruger revolvers that I own and have owned are the Security Six, the SP101, and the LCR. It may seem strange to some but the GP100 has not been a favorite of mine. I've never owned any of the single action Rugers....yet.

The SP101 is a forever gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why the Ruger SP101-013.jpg  

If you own an SP101 what made you choose it? Was it looks, price, features, caliber, barrel length-weight-size, or are you just a Ruger fan?
    Yes to all.

IMO S&W revolvers are popular because they've been around longer. They are the landmark. Like some people refer to Colt 1911's. The original, even though they aren't built the same way anymore.
    But when Ruger came onto the scene it was fewer parts, reliability, both large and small packages, THE GUN to test heavy loads with, LE carried them, price... you had the whole package. What wasn't to like? The SP101 is a solid revolver and will hold up to .357 rounds being shot through it. It epitomizes Ruger. And quite frankly, my very first revolver was a Ruger because I preferred the cylinder release button over Colt and S&W. The SP101 is to Ruger today what the Security-Six or GP used to be. Hits on all cylinders.

A 3" SP101 is my everyday carry gun. Why? I like revolvers. I like the variety of loads available for 38/357 even shoot 180 grain Buffalo Bore on occasion. Good balance, well built,easy takedown, grip choices, front sight choices, etc...
    Kilowatt3, Eric357, AzQkr and 2 others like this.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

Because it is a beautiful little wheel gun, it has a great reputation, it's compact, fun to shoot, easy to carry and very accurate. Here's my 2 1/4 in model, Wasp:

I wasn't completely thrilled with the out-of-the-box trigger (especially in D/A) but a little "fluff & buff" improved it greatly, along with grinding about 5/16 in. off the main spring.

Now, it's easy to "stage" that D/A trigger. Here's a recent range session (I haven't shot it much, and had not shot it in several months)

That was 50 rounds of .38 Spl. to warm-up. First 5 (to the head) were S/A, then all others D/A. And then:

50 rounds of aluminum case .357 Magnum. I fired the first 5 in S/A (to the head, again.) Really unimpressive but this was immediately after 50 rounds of .38 Spl.

I realized that I needed to pay attention and settle down, which I did, and I fired the other 45 rounds in D/A.

I was not unhappy at all, Wasp. This a GOOD little gun.
    PAcanis, Kilowatt3, Wasp and 4 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Because it looks better then a Glock
    Eric357, Eagle7840 and Chief1297 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Yes to all.

IMO S&W revolvers are popular because they've been around longer. They are the landmark. Like some people refer to Colt 1911's. The original, even though they aren't built the same way anymore.
    But when Ruger came onto the scene it was fewer parts, reliability, both large and small packages, THE GUN to test heavy loads with, LE carried them, price... you had the whole package. What wasn't to like? The SP101 is a solid revolver and will hold up to .357 rounds being shot through it. It epitomizes Ruger. And quite frankly, my very first revolver was a Ruger because I preferred the cylinder release button over Colt and S&W. The SP101 is to Ruger today what the Security-Six or GP used to be. Hits on all cylinders.
    YEAH ! Hittin' on all five !
    Eric357, AzQkr and BigFish like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links