Another female holster question

This is a discussion on Another female holster question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't want to hijack friesepferd's thread, so I will ask my questions here. My 21 year old daughter will be getting her CCW permit ...

Thread: Another female holster question

I didn't want to hijack friesepferd's thread, so I will ask my questions here. My 21 year old daughter will be getting her CCW permit soon, and is not sure how she wants to carry. She looked at the pictures limatunes posted awhile back, but she isn't too sure about IWB carry. Her current gun is a J frame, so we would like to make that work. If we can't, another gun may be needed. I am wondering if a high riding OWB holster with a cover garment would work well. Do any of you ladies (or guys with wives, girlfriends etc.) have any experience with this type of setup?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have done a lot of work on " gals arms " over the years . With that being said allow me to reccomend a member here Pax is who you want to ask ( or more accurately you want your daughter to ask on the issue . ) she has a site ( www.corneredcat.com ) that is structured to women who carry that might be a great start for yall . Point i want to make is teach the skills ( your self or if not a trusted instructor ) then stand back and let your young lady make her own selection .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Check out Corneredcat.com

http://www.corneredcat.com/

oops. I'm too late....

but it's a good site.
    Last edited by Mtbiker; May 17th, 2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Reading is fundamental
    -Biker

"Another female holster question"

How do you tell the female holsters from the male holsters?
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

Mitch Rosen Holsters - "Nancy Special" Made specifically for J-Frame revolvers and for Women! Also for several other revolvers and semi-autos.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...duct_line.html
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by glockmav View Post
    "Another female holster question"

How do you tell the female holsters from the male holsters?
    That's a good one!

That Nancy Special just may be the ticket.

I too was going to recommend www.corneredcat.com , PAX is the resident EXPERT on gun issues pertaining to women, come to think of it - she is real savvy on gun issues in general
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

If you think about it, ALL holsters are female.

JD
    Administrator

Lightbulb You might try...

When I was ordering Lima's OWB from Comp-Tac, the owner and I talked at length about women's concealable holsters, he is working on a model for appendix carry (in front of the curve of the hip).

Also check out FIST holsters, they make a specific line for women that may fit your daughters needs.

VIP Member
    Also look into the "Woman's Paddle Holster" from Kramer Leather. It is also specifically designed with the female body shape in mind. I just ordered one for a colleage, and she and I have both been please so far. I wore it for a few days (yes, I wore a "woman's" holster - see Murphy's Rules of Combat: If it's stupid but it works; it isn't stupid) and was pleased. With a 2.5" S&W19, it was very comfortable, doesn't require a belt (important for many female styles), is light, holds securely but is quick to draw, and was generally a nicely done piece of work. The only down side is that it is not as concealable as some holsters, it being a paddle and all.

After my colleague has had a chance to really put it through it's paces, I can offer a more detailed report, if anyone is interested.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Hubby beat me to it.

IWB conceals the best, but if that's not comfortable or not doable then, of course, other options are in order.

You may want to look into a shoulder rig. Lately I've been liking mine. It's comfortable for the most part but there may be some concealment issues.

Look into Galco's shoulder rigs.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

The best thing would be to try on a few. Many women are built different....small waist....short waist...these and other factors may make drawing a weapon more difficult. Just like clothes...best way NOT to end up with a bunch you won't use is to try them on before you buy.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Sponsored Links