Boycott - Page 2

Boycott

This is a discussion on Boycott within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cannot buy any new S&W firearm due to their high cost/poor quality (as compaired to earlier years). They are interested in only one thing, ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Boycott

I cannot buy any new S&W firearm due to their high cost/poor quality (as compaired to earlier years). They are interested in only one thing, and that is "shareholder value". It's not a boycott, just prefer higher quality at a reasonable cost.

Sturm Ruger came out in support of the "assault weapons ban" in order to keep his precious Mini 14 off the list. He denounced all AR's and AK's and yet produced a gun pretty darn much exactly the same as them! His gun survived the list and was not banned and now...which I find an appropriate ironic twist of fate, the new proposed ban list includes it. He never appologised for it and they used his statements to help pass the ban the first time. He was the Jim Zumbo of his day. At least Jim has tried to make amends. Ruger never did.

Colt restricts its sales of its AR's to civilians very limited amounts and very limited features. Of course they don't have to sell to much in the civilian market as they have the Military contract. But it is looked on as a slight of the civilian to not be able to get much variety from Colt. They have recently improved that a bit. They do sell a flat top now. But its more of a careful marketing, scared marketing thing with Colt. Not so much a public stance like Ruger took.

I will buy Colt. Won't buy Ruger. Not too set on S&W as they have made amends to some extent. But now we are stuck with that dam revolver lock. No one can not include it for fear of liability. "Well Sir why did you not have a lock so that Mr Jones's kid would not have killed himself? S&W has a lock... so its obvious that S&W saw the need for it". See? Never were required to do it. But since they did it... we all stuck with it.
    Last edited by cphilip; May 18th, 2007 at 01:35 AM.

1943 - 2009
    S&W, Colt and Ruger are in the business of manufacturing and selling firearms. Firearms and related products are their principal source of revenue.

Why would these companies cut off their nose to spite their face? To say that they are anti-gun or don't support the 2A is ludicrous, and defies logic.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

They all three bent to pressure and caved. Simple as that. They gave ground to save their own asses and people don't like it.

OD*
    Henry Ford was sympathetic to the Nazi cause , people still buy his vehicles. They are all completely different companies today.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Henry Ford was sympathetic to the Nazi cause , people still buy his vehicles.
    I don't

OD*

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Bill Ruger is dead and gone. His son has retired too.
    I guess it will be better when all American gun companies have closed and we can buy made in China knockoffs.

I'm paraphrasing something I read on THR a while back:
    "Every gun company has danced with the devil at some point,
    in order to stay in business." These are for profit companies after all.

In some ways Bill Ruger helped the 2A more then he hurt it. His actions fired up the gun owners and the NRA. The Dems admit that they lost control of congress due to the AWB. If Clinton had his way there would have been a total gun ban. Maybe Ruger's compromise bill (AWB, Hi-cap ban) saved us all. It drew the line in the sand and made us fight back.

Yep he should be canonized not vilified

I would have more sympathy had he recanted. Even to this day its being used to try and stir up more momentum for the new Ban. Its not over. We survived it but he helped cause it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Everyone has their own opinion, but here's how I see it.

I think the new AMERICAN owners of S&W have done a good job and made amends. As to why should we buy from S&W, Ruger, or Colt??

American gun manufacturers need to be supported and if they get out of line they need to be corected, as happened in the S&W situation. The Brits who owned it sold it at a huge loss due to the backlash.

However, if we all get in a tizzy and boycott these compnaies everytime they make a statement that we don't agree with, they will go out of business. So where sill support and ads for gun magazines and support for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (an industry lobbying group) come from?? Does anyone think that leaving the entire firearms market and the funding of the NSSF to foreign companies is a good idea?? A few big law enforcement contracts and police contracts spread around some foreign companies could go a long way. How will we put pressure on foreign companies who go anti 2A to get those contracts?? Which I think is what S&W was doing when they screwed the pooch with Clinton.

I will support American gun companies as much as I can, until they do something real agrregious, then I will withold my funds until they make amends. I don't trust Europeans to give a crap about our rights or to support NSSF.

JMO, YMV.
    + 1.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Take a look at these:

1) 4" .357
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

2)SA .45Colt
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

One company that offers both guns you wanted that I don't believe have done anything against our cause.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Let's not forget that it was Ruger that proposed the 10 round capacity limit and the rusulting magazines that were manufactured for it.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

do as ya want smith is making some of the best guns in years i will buy from them so i can buy more american taurus doesnt match a smith

no one matchs a old colt wheelie

If S&W and Ruger hadn't done what they did at the time they wouldn't be around today. S&W was being law suited out of existence at the time and the powers that be gave them an ultimatum. Ruger was fixin to go through the same thing & old Bill had even less money to fight with. They bowed down to the libs to save their companys. NOBODY here can "honestly" say they would have fought a losing battle untill broke & shut their doors permanently & filed for bankruptcy. just NOT good buissiness sense.

As has been stated, the Ruger family no longer owns Sturm Ruger. And for those that don't know, the new owners have dropped the "Sturm" from the name....It's just "Ruger" now. The Brit company sold S&W for pennies on the dollar to an all American corporation and they innovated manufacturing processes and make some really fine weopons.

As far as Colt goes, they're no longer a large manufacturer. They dropped most everything except the 1911 & SAA for handguns. If I remember correctly they get their 1911 frames & slides from S&W (who also supplies Kimber) and the majority of pieces parts & magazines from Wilson Combat. If supplying fewer (or none) of the ARs to the public means keeping up with military & LE contracts then that's the way Colt has chosen to stay in operation. Over the years Colt has been owned by more than a couple of Corporations that have done nothing but milk them dry and run them into the ground. Colt, as a company, has been closer to going down for the count more times than Chrysler. I don't know if they are trying or not to grow back into what they once were but, whatever they choose to do, more power to them.

I think that anyone that holds against these 3 companies some crap times almost 15 years ago is just losing out on buying some fine weapons. JMHO.
    Tom
    NRA Life Member
    S&W M65 LadySmith 357Magnum
    Ruger SP101 3"bl. 357Magnum

OD*
    If I remember correctly they get their 1911 frames & slides from S&W (who also supplies Kimber) and the majority of pieces parts & magazines from Wilson Combat.
    That is incorrect.
    http://members.aol.com/lmanwebdesign/ColtTour.html
    http://ezine.m1911.org/coltvisit.htm

If supplying fewer (or none) of the ARs to the public means keeping up with military & LE contracts then that's the way Colt has chosen to stay in operation.
    Colt Defense LLC and Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC, are now two completely separate companies.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links