Boycott - Page 5

Boycott

This is a discussion on Boycott within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rachilders Personally, I think this whole discussion is a load of BS since it has done nothing more than show the ignorance ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Boycott

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    Personally, I think this whole discussion is a load of BS since it has done nothing more than show the ignorance of most of the gun buying public who like to support many of these boycotts. IF you want to support the boycott of a company or product, that's your right as an American consumer, but is it too much to ask that we all take the time to learn the FACTS before we bring out the torches and pitchforks!

From reading many of the posts in this thread (a well as posts in other threads) most of the boycott supporters are either misinformed as to the true facts or are listening to old/outdated information. Cases in point...

S&W had PR problems when it was owned by a group of Brits, but it was purchased by American investors a number of years ago and has since turned around. Are the new, American owners, expected to pay for the previous owners political mistakes and for how long? The Ruger boycott came about when Bill Ruger said he supported the 10 rd magazine limit during the Clinton AWB debates in the early 90's. The ban has since come and gone, Mr. Ruger is long dead and the company is putting out good guns at a reasonable price. It's time to get past it and move on!

More recently, there was a situation where the VP of SKYY pistols made a "boo boo" when he tried a bit of free advertising for their CPX-1 at one of the Kel-Tec forums. K-T forums are almost rabid in their support of K-T and he was blind sided by several of the members after he posted there. The VP never bad mouthed K-T or their products and was even complimentary of them, but he dared to compare the new CPX to the P-11 and suggest it may be as good or better. However, his real mistake was he didn't admit up front he was a SKYY employee and it came back to bit him in the butt. The truth is, the VP was just doing a little PR and NEVER said a bad thing about K-T or it's products. I guess when he was attacked by hard core members of the forum, he became defensive and didn't say he was an officer in the SKYY company until someone finally figured it out and called him on it. When he did admit it, both he AND the company president posted on the forum that they were sorry for the entire incident and it wouldn't happen again. That's it, end of story. Now, the whole incident has taken on a life of it's own, especially among K-T owners, and the real story has gotten lost in the smoke and mirrors. Because of this, there are quite a few people I know who won't try a SKYY because of what they THINK they know what SKYY’s VP did on the K-T forum.

Like I said, if you want to boycott someone, you owe it to them AND yourself to know the facts rather than the hearsay. You may not only be hurting the company, but yourself for no good reason.

That is some good East Texas Wisdom ! + 1

Should Bushmaster be added to the anti gun gun company list? I believe they agreed to a settlement with the victims of the DC sniper.

I personally don't think so but then again I also own S&Ws and Rugers.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I had thought that the S&W thing was over, and the employees had purchased the company. That being true I do not boycott S&W. If not true then that is different.
    Jerry

I believe S&W is off the hook since the Brits don't own them anymore. They were coming up with all kinds of silly gunlock devices to appease the antigunners but that has been resolved by the new owners. If Ruger is anything but a heavy supporter of gun rights then I am ignorant of it. Let me know if I am wrong. Ignorance can be fixed stupid is not fixable.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

OD*
    Smith & Wesson is not employee owned...

Smith & Wesson Sold
    May 16, 2001 12:00 PM

Scottsdale, AZ--Saf-T-Hammer, a gun safety equipment manufacturer, has acquired $112 million gun manufacturer/marketer Smith & Wesson. Saf-T-Hammer acquired the 149-year-old gun maker from a unit of Britain’s Tomkins Plc for $15 million—significantly less than $112 million Tomkins paid for Smith & Wesson in 1987. As a result of the acquisition, Saf-T-Hammer will seek shareholder approval to change its corporate name to Smith & Wesson Holding Corp.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I wont buy a ruger due to the owners statements
    What were the ruger owners statements?
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Smith & Wesson is not employee owned...
    Thanks for the correction, OD.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Colt, et al..........

I just bought a NIB Colt LE6920 and I'm not (currently) an LEO. It's a fine weapon and you can buy all you want, except in about four states that still restrict them - not Colt's fault.

There are more bad rumors floating around about Colt than all the Colts ever produced. Almost every day I see somebody saying that Colt is going under or that they buy all their parts from someone else. None of this baloney is true.

How many of us drive German or Japanese cars, despite WWII?

If we don't buy Colt, or S&W, or Ruger, or any other American-made guns due to some perceived slight on the part of the companies, either now or in the past, we'll eventually be at the mercy of (real) foreign companies and governments who may decide that they don't like Americans and won't export to us any more. Try to buy a gun THEN...

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    What were the ruger owners statements?
    I don't recall the Late Bill Ruger's statement, word for word. But I believe, among other things, he said something to the effect that civilians don't need a magazine capacity higher than 10 rounds. He was also involved in the Assault weapons ban, to the extent he managed to get his Mini-14 left off the list, and got competitor's rifles put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Douthit View Post
    I believe S&W is off the hook since the Brits don't own them anymore. They were coming up with all kinds of silly gunlock devices to appease the antigunners but that has been resolved by the new owners. If Ruger is anything but a heavy supporter of gun rights then I am ignorant of it. Let me know if I am wrong. Ignorance can be fixed stupid is not fixable.
    HOWEVER, did the NEW owners of S&W ever print a retraction of the previous owner's actions?

As it currently stands, there are only two American gun companies that I can afford to buy from, NIB. Kel-Tec and Hi-Point. Almost all the others have priced themselves out of reach of my wallet. Unless I'm buying a used gun.
    Al, I believe that you can safely add Heritage Mfg to that list.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by mashaffer View Post
    Al, I believe that you can safely add Heritage Mfg to that list.

mike
    Yup, you are correct. Heritage Mfg is another US company that I can afford to purchase their products NIB.

I have no problem buying from smith and wesson seeing as they are imo the hand down best makers of revolvers at the current time with the exception being ruger in the single action department.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinpointshot View Post
    I have no problem buying from smith and wesson seeing as they are imo the hand down best makers of revolvers at the current time with the exception being ruger in the single action department.
    I guess that depends on your personal opinion. According to Gun tests magazine, that opinion also varies from one revolver to another. In several issues where they tested S&W revolvers against other makes, S&W did not come out on top. In one test, looking at service style revolvers, Ruger was the winner. In another, looking at big bore DA types, Taurus was the winner.

It's all subjective anyway. I've owned Colt, S&W, Ruger, Comanche and Taurus revolvers. Only the Comanche (3" barreled .357) was found to be lacking, then again, the price tag was less than $200.00, so I wasn't terribly surprised. As it was, it was only the rear sight that I was disappointed with, on the Comanche III revolver.

In the case of the Ruger and Taurus revolvers, I could not fault them for quality at all. And I specially loved that little 7 shot Taurus revolver. I wish I hadn't been forced to sell it. It was an excellent backup weapon.

Barrett

I like the little statement in the Barrett ads. Something like, "we won't sell to or service guns of California agencies" due to their .50 ban in California. In their FAQ, "are Barrett rifles legal for me to own"? The answer reads, "first, we recommend you elect politicians that will change those laws, if not, we suggest you move to an area that obeys the Constitution". I sure do respect that, and wish all the companies did that. Imagine no Glocks, no mags over 10 rounds. No S&W for the CHP, nor Berettas for the LAPD. That would be fun to watch. Is Raven or Jennings or Davis still in CA? Maybe if that was all those agencies could buy....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links