P3AT Ammo Experiment

This is a discussion on P3AT Ammo Experiment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've struggled with ejection failures with my Kel-Tec P3AT since I bought it several months ago. I've fluffed, buffed, polished, oiled greased, and still had ...

Thread: P3AT Ammo Experiment

P3AT Ammo Experiment

I've struggled with ejection failures with my Kel-Tec P3AT since I bought it several months ago. I've fluffed, buffed, polished, oiled greased, and still had some failures.

So today I ran an ammo experiment. Inexpensive Remington ball ammo vs. Hornaday XTP.

With the ball ammo, I suffered a full 50% FTE rate (literally, every other round).

With the Hornaday XTP (JHP), which I fired after the Remington, with no cleaning in between, I had zero failures. Flawless.

On the ball ammo FTE's, the following round was always "smilied" despite my highly polished feed ramp.

I was having serious doubts about this gun for a while. But now I feel very confident in my P3AT with the XTP ammo.

If I could only shoot a decent group with it. I seem to always push my shots low with it. They're dead on left to right, but consistently low.

2. Remove Ads

I've never tried the cheapo Remingtons, but have had no problems with WWB FMJs in the value pack. You have to find some brand of practice ammo that works in your gun. I would be interested if your gun feeds them reliably.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Perhaps you are shooting lip wrist. That little pistol really has a kick.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Recently had problems with remington rounds feeding in my pistol as well (cz75)

when I pulled out my 9mm remingtons and winchester rounds to compare the two.. The Remington rounds looked smaller (about 1 or 2 mm difference in height) than the winchester. Both bullets are FMJ and 115gr. Seemed that at least in my case the Rems were too short to hit the feed ramp at the proper angle and were causing a jam. I am not sure if I just got a bad batch or what, but sounds like ,at least to me, that your pistol may just not like remingtons.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Make sure you have the 2nd generation P3AT. Steve48

I have a second generation P3AT, tried Remington 88 grain JHP's with less than stellar results.

Finally settled on Fiocchi 90 grain FMJHP at the recommendation of a local gunshop owner who carries a P3AT at his store. Everything works perfect now, I am glad he recommended the Fiocchi brand to me as I had never tried it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I've struggled with ejection failures with my Kel-Tec P3AT since I bought it several months ago. I've fluffed, buffed, polished, oiled greased, and still had some failures.

So today I ran an ammo experiment. Inexpensive Remington ball ammo vs. Hornaday XTP.

With the ball ammo, I suffered a full 50% FTE rate (literally, every other round).

With the Hornaday XTP (JHP), which I fired after the Remington, with no cleaning in between, I had zero failures. Flawless.

Just for giggles, please check the tip of your extractor. My P32 was doing the exact same thing with Corbon(FTE) and Speer Gold Dot(flawless). I thought it was the ammo, until a few months later, it wouldnt extract anything. I pulled the extractor out and looked at the tip under a magnafying glass, and it had a chip on it. I had Kel-Tec send me a new one (Free of course) and its been perfect since. Just giving you a heads up.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by ak-kev View Post
    Just for giggles, please check the tip of your extractor. My P32 was doing the exact same thing with Corbon(FTE) and Speer Gold Dot(flawless). I thought it was the ammo, until a few months later, it wouldnt extract anything. I pulled the extractor out and looked at the tip under a magnafying glass, and it had a chip on it. I had Kel-Tec send me a new one (Free of course) and its been perfect since. Just giving you a heads up.
    Thanks! I'll definitely look into that.

Had the same problem with my 2nd Gen P3AT. Out of the box (cleaned and lubed) shot fine until the end of the first box of Rem UMC FMJ. Also that day I shot several Hydra-shock (20 +) and Gold Dot (25 +) ammo. I finished with 25 rounds of older mix brands and types of ammo. Most was made in the 70’s.

With this old 1970 ammo I did not have any problems. But with the new ammo the gun went into the FTF and FTE modes. Cleaned the gun at the range mid way during the shooting. But this did not help.

Took it home did the f&b, went back to the range. Had several FTE. No matter the ammo (factory and/or reloads). Then the gun went to full FTE mode.

Went back home, broke down the gun and found the extractor tip was broken. Not much, just the tip, I mean small here. Called Kel Tec and they mailed a new one. Replaced the extractor and back to the range. Much better, no more FTE.

My gun likes the ball ammo the best, so that's what i have in it. Except the first round is Gold Dot. Second mag is all ball ammo.

I would take a good look at the extractor, there is where most of the FTE problems comes from.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Many guns are like this. The mere fact that even gunsmiths cannot always tell what's wrong with a given gun underscores the simple fact that minor differences can mean the difference between failure and success, when it comes to handling a given bullet's length, size, weight, case lips, imperfections and whatever else it is that causes a given gun to not like a given round. Often, simply trying a variety of ammo can find that "sweet spot" round that works best. Doesn't mean a given gun or ammo sucks, though it does mean that some hunting around is often required.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have noticed that all the P3ATs that i have seen seem to work better, less failures that is, when using the more expensive, higher power ammo types.

me
    I only have had bad results with Federal Ammo, Including hyraschoocks. Mine had been failure to feeds mainly, Just need to smack the slide home but It is fine with my Silver tips so that is ehat I carry.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

My P3AT woudldn't feed Remington UMC hollowpoints at all reliably-about 10% FTE. Fed everything else I tried fine. Called Keltec, they sent a new extractor. Finally tried another box of the same Remington, and it fed the 50 I tried without a hitch. Replacing the extractor is about a 5 minute job, with most of that time searching for the right allen wrench.

Links