kimber ultra carry - Page 2

kimber ultra carry

This is a discussion on kimber ultra carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tegemu Mike, I'd hold off on doing refinements to the pistol until it is well broken in. You might very well be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Mike, I'd hold off on doing refinements to the pistol until it is well broken in. You might very well be wasting your time, money and effort when the pistol will smooth out on it's own when broken in. As I mentioned above, mine took 800 rounds to smooth out and I've heard of others taking that much to break theirs in too.

That's what I keep hearing but I'm just impatient I guess. None of my other guns have had to deal with this break in period, but they are all "tupperware" guns though. Why would the Kimber require this many rounds to "break it in" and what does this break in period actually accomplish?
    Last edited by Mike from Texas; May 21st, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

My EDC Varies...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    I wouldn't mind another 45, they certainly are slimmer than a Glock for concealed copy. I've heard a lot of good things about the smaller Colt versions, maybe I'll try one of those if I run across a good deal on one.
    between a Kimber Ultra and a Glock-36 (also pretty thin...single stack)

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member

Talking

Hearing folks talk about their Kimber's is similar to computer geeks talking about their PC's. They love 'em once they work out the kinks. Seems like a lot of ammo, refurbs, time, and frustration to get it "just right". For me, it would always be in the back of my mind that the one and only time I need it to protect my life it would decide to have an FTF or FTE. It would look pretty, though, in my casket next to my blue suit that the wife loves.

If it is mechanical, has moving parts and was made by man, it will mess up, just a matter of time. You just hope the time is not when you need it..If you took care of your guns like my brother in law does, you would never feel safe with one..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

My EDC gun

... is a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45ACP. Mine has an external extractor and has only jammed once in about 1000 rounds. That failure was my fault. I limp-wristed a bit the first time I fired weak-hand only.

OTOH, I have a Kimber Pro Carry in 9mmP that had continued Failures to Extract. Three trips to the 'smith to get an (internal) extractor of the proper shape and tension. Now it is flawless.

YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

Looks like my Ultra Carry troubles may be a thing of the past.

After having a feed ramp polished and the chamber slightly throated and polished and installing an $8 Wolff 21# recoil spring assembly, I went to the range and shot 200 rounds without a hiccup. I shot cheapo Blazer Brass, Double Tap 185, 200 & 230 grain Gold Dots, and Hornady TAP 200 and 230 grain ammo through it and it ate everything even with the factory mag that came with the gun.

Another 200-300 rounds like that and I'll feel 100% confident in the gun. Until then I'll continue to EDC my Glock 29 and my P3AT.

P1020344 (Medium).JPG

P1020345 (Medium).JPG

P1020343 (Medium).JPG

P1020333 (Medium).JPG
    Last edited by Mike from Texas; May 21st, 2007 at 11:50 PM.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

I 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Mike, I'd hold off on doing refinements to the pistol until it is well broken in. You might very well be wasting your time, money and effort when the pistol will smooth out on it's own when broken in. As I mentioned above, mine took 800 rounds to smooth out and I've heard of others taking that much to break theirs in too.
    I have a UC II. Had some quirky feed problems, but after about 700? rounds, it has settled in nicely with FMJ ball and EFMJ. 0 problems. I had not been able to get it to feed hollow points after the first 200? rounds. Doesn't make sense, but I have been unwilling to give it to anyone to look at.

Love the pistol, and since it feeds the EFMJs fine, that's what I carry with.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links