SIG 220 SAO, soon, very soon - Page 2

SIG 220 SAO, soon, very soon

This is a discussion on SIG 220 SAO, soon, very soon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't pick it up till Tuesday when it can be looged in and out of the shops books, but I did get to fire ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SIG 220 SAO, soon, very soon

JD [OP]
    Administrator

3 out of 3 is here, well almost...

I can't pick it up till Tuesday when it can be looged in and out of the shops books, but I did get to fire 50 rounds of FMJ through it this afternoon.

I like the newer models with the stainless slide as opposed to the older models with the sheet metal slide, the little but of added weight pays off.

I was grouping at about 3"-4" minus the obligatory flyer. However I am shooting to the left =too much trigger finger, and all those years of shooting a 1911 is now a thorn in my side, I have to make an effort to adjust my grip in order to not engage the slide stop after the last round is fired.

Over all I really like the 220 SAO thus far. I'd put the trigger at arround 4.5 to 5 lbs and it breaks nice and crisp.

Accuracy wise, I shoot it better than the 5" Colt I just picked up, after a good break in period this is probably going to take over as my every day carry.

The factory ambi safety is a little stiff, and I'm not going to carry it untill it loosens up a little bit.

I allready have an additional 5 Novak mags for the 220 and a Milt Sparks VMII, plus some other random holsters on hand.

The fit and finish of the gun are superb and it just feels darn good in the hand.

Congrats, the 220 SAO is a sweet handgun.

I'm looking to get a sig 220 for my first carry gun, aside from their excellent track record, I really find the combat and equinox visually appealing. Anyways, all versions aside, anything I should look out for with this gun? Any tips on finding the best price? Like I said this will be my first carry, and am pretty new to hand guns in general, mostly grew up shooting and hunting with rifles in WI and we all know that handguns are the devil in Wisconsin. Thanks for any advice!

Scott

Lead Moderator
    I think you'll really enjoy when you get your hand wrapped around it!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    C'mon Married Guys, you have to tell him! OK I will. JD, Lima is gonna look at the gun, try it and keep it!
    Either that or you will have to wear that ugly Marine tie she bought for you.

CONGRATS!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    C'mon Married Guys, you have to tell him! OK I will. JD, Lima is gonna look at the gun, try it and keep it!
    Either that or you will have to wear that ugly Marine tie she bought for you.

CONGRATS!
    I learned after the Mustang incident, the gun is too big for her to conceal, and the grip is just big enough to be too big for her

And no way I am wearing that tie
    Last edited by JD; May 27th, 2007 at 12:53 AM. Reason: NO TIE!

JD [OP]
    Administrator

New pics.

I snapped some new pics of the 220 today and carried it for the first time after running another 100 rounds through it yesterday.

The VMII suits this larger pistol quite well and held it in nice and close to the body.

Some people say that the 220 may be too large for CC, but I find it suits me quite well.

One thing I like about the SAO is that unlike the 1911, I can have the safety activated and still cycle the slide, aslo I can have the hammer down and safety on.

Assistant Administrator
    VERY nice John - the Canon is doing well too

There is not a huge difference overall between the look of that and 226 ST when new - and in approx weight and dimensions they are close. I like large and heavy as some may remember and that should be a cinch to carry with the rig shown.

The triumvirate is complete
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    VERY nice John - the Canon is doing well too

There is not a huge difference overall between the look of that and 226 ST when new - and in approx weight and dimensions they are close. I like large and heavy as some may remember and that should be a cinch to carry with the rig shown.

The triumvirate is complete
    I have to agree on big and heavy, I feel that a 226 Elite may be getting added to the future purchase list here shortly, or maybe a 226 DAK. The VM II made it carry quite comfrotably, and IIRC the 226 and 220 will ride in the same holsters, isn't life great when your guns can share leather?

And yes the Canon is doing well, it's a Rebel XT, alas no MACRO setting that I can find in the book.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links