Horrible pistol luck these days...

This is a discussion on Horrible pistol luck these days... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I posted a while back that I got a new Taurus PT-145 Pro and it broke on me. I then ended up getting a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Well, I posted a while back that I got a new Taurus PT-145 Pro and it broke on me. I then ended up getting a new Kahr Arms P40. It seems that this one has some problems now as well!

I took it over to my buddy's house after giving it all the praise I have here. It had some issues before it was broken in, but they all disappeared and the accuracy was top notch for a pistol this size. Well, I let my buddy shoot it first since he obviously was interested in getting one. He didn't hit anything but I figured he just wasn't holding it right. He ran the 6 round and 7 round clips empty and I reloaded it and basically said "Here, this is how you do it!" only to find out I wasn't hitting anything either! I ran some WWB 165 gr FMJs through it, WWB 180 gr JHP, and Remington 180 gr JHP. All of which used to perform just fine at 25 yards, we weren't hitting a DAMN thing even at ~10 yards! I took it home and cleaned it and tried again today, same luck. I also found that a piece of plastic had broken off of the follower on the 6 round magazine. It is nowhere to be found, I'm assuming the pistol digested it? I field stripped it and cleaned it, and I can't find any obvious damage anywhere. Everything is still tight, nothing scratched, weapon still functions though the slide hangs up sometimes when a round is chambered. This had also gone away until now. The barrel seems to be fine as well.

Have the sights shifted? Try shooting at a big target to see if you're still getting tight groups. It would be very very strange for the pistol to suddenly start spraying bullets everywhere after proving itself accurate.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Administrator
    Shoot the pistol at varied distances. Put a mag full in at 7yds, then 15, then 25. Make sure you use the same ammo, and report back.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    I would be using a magnifying glass and a good cleaning to look for that follower piece. Did the accuracy deter after the follower broke?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator

Interesting

I was trying to think of any possible ways that a broken magazine follower could affect pistol accuracy.

Here is the only thing I could think of but, admittedly it's a stretch.

If the magazine follower broke then that obviously could affect the way the rounds were feeding.
    If they were feeding incorrectly and the bullet noses were getting damaged on the way into the barrel chamber OR the bullets were getting set back to any degree from banging the feed ramp or the roof of the barrel chamber during the feed cycle that would affect accuracy.

If a new magazine does not correct the problem though then the pistol probably has other issues.

Interesting topic.

I had a similar experience with a P89d Ruger and sent it back and they rebarrelled it and it shoots fine now. My gun was not hitting the target at all and my grandson notice dirt kicking up about 10 feet in front of he target. He shot it from a sandbag rest and I saw the same thing. I called Ruger and they sent me instructions and prepaid box to ship it back. I had my newly barrelled Ruger back in two weeks and it shot as well as one would expect. This was before the pre 10 round law and it held 15 rounds. I sent it back around the time the law changed so I really wanted to be sure I kept the same gun and it worked out just fine. Ruger is great to deal with.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    All in all, that's pretty scary.

It's why I stick with GLOCK.

I've never worried, and don't think I'll ever have to.

I hope you can get the problems worked out.

I love my Glock too, but once I held the Kahr I had to have one. :) These guns normally get great reviews, so I'm sure Kahr will help me out. I will give it (another) good cleaning and use the 7 round mag that appears to be in good shape and report back. As for switching ammo, this is the same ammo I've been using for a good while. I broke it in with WWB 165gr FMJs and then started running Remington 180gr JHP and it has digested more than 100 of those since. The problem appeared suddenly after using WWB 180gr JHP bullets. I thought it was the bullets, but after switching back to the Remingtons, the problem is still there.

OK, I think I just performed the most anal-retentive pistol cleaning procedure I've ever done. I broke it down, saturated every single part in Break-Free CLP, let them all sit for a few hours. Returned, plastic brushed every crevice I could find. Took an old tooth brush to the extractor and cleaned under it the best I could. Tooth brushed the mag well gently, and brushed the hell out of the barrel with my rod. I ran patches through the barrel until they came out clean, and then used some copper solvent foam (which I usually reserve for my rifles). I let the foam do it's thing and sprayed out the slide with Birchwood Casey Synthetic Safe gun cleaner, sprayed out every little piece I could get at. I carefully pulled the striker back and blasted out in there also. I wiped it down and let it all dry, then took a hair dryer on medium heat to it with the striker pulled back and got that area all dry. I blasted out the grip frame with high pressure hot water, blew it out with compressed air and then used the hair dryer again on medium heat. I then used cotton swabs to clean every little nook and cranny I could find on both the slide and grip frame. Did I stop there? Nah, why stop this far in the game! I then wrapped a few coils of the recoil spring in a paper towel and "threaded" it into the paper towel all the way down, removing every single piece of grime and dirt on it that the blast of spray didn't get. I sprayed the slide stop out as well and let it all dry. While it was all drying, I then finished cleaning the barrel out. Since I don't pull my brushes back through the bore, I used paper towels soaked in Break-Free CLP to clean off the crown as well. I then pulled the towel through the recoil lug to get any grime in there out. I hit it with the spray solvent, ran one more patch through it, and then set it aside as well. Everything was dry and oil-less at this point, so I sprayed a very light film of Rem-Oil on the upper part of the grip frame to lube all the moving parts that I just stripped of oil. I wiped the excess off with a cleaning patch to avoid leaving paper towel residue. I then did the same with the slide, but I also pulled the striker back and put a drop of oil on it since I also stripped that area of oil as well. Again, I wiped the excess off with a cleaning patch. I ran a patch soaked with Rem-Oil through the barrel, and wiped a thin coat of oil on the outside of the barrel, recoil spring, spring guide, and on the slide stop using the same patch.

I must say, this has to be the cleanest damn used firearm in Bay County Florida! I also found the broken piece of magazine follower, it had stayed in the mag fortunately. Nothing in the actual pistol appeared to be out of order! The sights are tight also, they have not moved. I have about 50 rounds of 180gr Remington JHP left, I'm going to run it tomorrow. We can definitely factor out cleanliness and the broken magazine now. If it doesn't shoot right with the 7 round mag in, the gun is going back to Kahr ASAP! Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes!
    Last edited by Ryan H; May 20th, 2007 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I hope you have success!

I have to say, though, that if after the moderate amount of shooting you've done with this gun, the serious mis-functioning you experienced was due to a cleanliness issue, then the gun is far too finicky for my tastes.

I want something that'll feed and fire reliably after being dragged through the mud. Not that I have had to go through that -- never even had to draw my gun. But I do want my gun to be the kind that has proved itself to those who do have to do that kind of thing.

I just can't see ever relying on a gun whose proper functioning could be affected by a simple cleaning, even as thorough as you described.

If I found that any of my guns would fail to work properly just because it was running dirty, I wouldn't keep it around. That would just creep me out.

I'm thinking this is some other issue than how clean it is anyway. I found a thread in the search here where a guy ran his polymer framed Kahr to 1,500 rounds without cleaning and it was fine. I just want to rule "being dirty" out of the equation. If the issue does indeed clear up, since all I've done is clean it, you bet your ass its gone! you are 100% correct.

so far so good for me. my tp45 is going strong without cleaning at 400 plus rounds. I gotta clean her. I just hope she don't start breaking apart listening to these horror stories.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Shoot the pistol at varied distances. Put a mag full in at 7yds, then 15, then 25. Make sure you use the same ammo, and report back.
    This will give you (me) a good idea of whats wrong.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The verdict is in, I think the gun is gonna have to go back to Kahr. I just cleared my barrel of oil, loaded my 7 round mag and took it outside. I fired 7 shots at ~10 feet, none of which hit my target (an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper with a circle drawn in the middle). They all hit a bit low but I can't tell exactly where because I shoot into a sand pit. I then inspected the 7 round magazine and it has now broken the follower as well in the same place. The peice of follower is jammed down in the magazine spring just like the other magazine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    The verdict is in, I think the gun is gonna have to go back to Kahr. I just cleared my barrel of oil, loaded my 7 round mag and took it outside. I fired 7 shots at ~10 feet, none of which hit my target (an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper with a circle drawn in the middle). They all hit a bit low but I can't tell exactly where because I shoot into a sand pit. I then inspected the 7 round magazine and it has now broken the follower as well in the same place. The peice of follower is jammed down in the magazine spring just like the other magazine.
    Sounds like a problem with the frame/slide fit if you keep breaking the follower. Just for the heck of it, fire a couple rounds and eject the next round out of the chamber without firing it. There is probably slide damage to the round after the slide runs over it if you keep breaking the follower. Just my guess after your descriptions.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links