compact .45

This is a discussion on compact .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dont have a 40 yet. Maybe I should give one a try. Cheaper ammo costs than 45 I bet, and more powerfull than 9 ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: compact .45

I dont have a 40 yet. Maybe I should give one a try. Cheaper ammo costs than 45 I bet, and more powerfull than 9 (so I hear).

The S&W MP compact 40 has also caught my eye.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I dont have a 40 yet. Maybe I should give one a try. Cheaper ammo costs than 45 I bet, and more powerfull than 9 (so I hear).

The S&W MP compact 40 has also caught my eye.
    Actually, the ammo for the 45 is waaaay cheaper than 40! Especially if you're buying factory new.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'd try the PT 145 or PT 745. the 745 is single stack, very thin, very easy to conceal. good luck

really

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Actually, the ammo for the 45 is waaaay cheaper than 40! Especially if you're buying factory new.
    WOW, thats good to know. Guess I was thinking smaller=cheaper. Learn something new everyday, thanks.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    WOW, thats good to know. Guess I was thinking smaller=cheaper. Learn something new everyday, thanks.
    Caveat - This IS TRUE when talking about PRACTICE AMMO.

Price any .40 SW fmj ammo from the major online sellers against
    the same brand of .45acp ball - and you will see that .40 is cheaper.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Colt Defender

If you want a small, concealable .45 the Colt Defender is a good option. It weighs about 25 ounces empty and has an aluminum frame, and will hold 7+1 rounds of .45 with a Wilson magazine. With slim grip panels mounted, the gun is 0.90 inches thick through the slide, and just over 1.0 inches thick in the grip. This is virtually identical in width to a Kahr P45.

Mine has gone through about 600 rounds of mixed ammo without a hitch since I got it. It is very easy to conceal.

pogo2,

Thats a sharp pistol.

I carry a Kimber Compact Stainless II in .45 acp. It's a stainless steel, 1911, officers frame with a 4" barrel. It has been totally reliable with any & all factory ammunition. That means NO failures of any kind with ammunition. Well over 2000 rounds thus far, excellent accuracy, excellent trigger (clean crisp 4#). Cobramags feed the piece and Tucker gunleather holds it comfortably for me.
    Lasergrips + Trijicon nite sights are there when I need them, plus it conceals easily.

Lightbulb Respectfully...I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Caveat - This IS TRUE when talking about PRACTICE AMMO.

Price any .40 SW fmj ammo from the major online sellers against
    the same brand of .45acp ball - and you will see that .40 is cheaper.

I disagree. 40 hasn't been in production a FRACTION of the time that 45 has. There's less brass and a smaller market than for the 45, even counting the police market. However, I find that when it comes to buying reloaded BALL ammo, which I use mostly for practice and some competition, the 45 is cheaper hands down.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    How about a WartHawg? I really like mine and had noooo problems at all with it.

Kimber Ultra Raptor fits the bill. Light, small, powerful and built on the 1911 platform. What more could one want..Um, pricey, but you get what you pay for sometimes.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Springfield Micro-Compact 1911 .45

I bought this little gem a few months ago and I love it. I was leary about buying a 1911 because of all the 1911 discontents out there... but I couldn't be more happy. It's not as easy to break down and clean like my XD, but it fires well and it is more accurate than I thought it may be. It is much more slim than the XD and carries easier IWB. I highly recommend one.

JJ Honeycutt- GodGunsGlory.com

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. - Ted Nugent

XD45 compact

Is the same size as the PT145MP...I have pics of the differences of the XD40SC and the XD45C...

steve

I bet it does. I been checking the web site and measuring my pistol. It is always the grip poking out when I wear mine.
    Might be worth checking out because the magazines will all be useable in both pistols. Well the 10 rounder might not go in the service.

That way you keep the same ammo, same weapon familiarity, and most of the mags are interchangeable.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I'm thinking of getting the Kimber Ultra CDP II in .45. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
    Harley 91
    "For those who fight for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, Kimber Custom II
    XD 9mm sc, XD 40 sc, .357 Colt King Cobra,
    .22 Berreta Bobcat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links