Baby Desert Eagle for CC? Time sensitive...

This is a discussion on Baby Desert Eagle for CC? Time sensitive... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the opportunity to buy BDE in .45 for $300...today! I need any thoughts and experiences w/this gun. Would use it for winter carry. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Desert Eagle for CC? Time sensitive...

Baby Desert Eagle for CC? Time sensitive...

I have the opportunity to buy BDE in .45 for $300...today! I need any thoughts and experiences w/this gun. Would use it for winter carry. Thank in advance and God bless.

2. Remove Ads

I have an older (early 90's) one in 9mm. Very fine fire arm. Super easy to put on target. When I was doing research I read the same great reviews on the .45's.

Don't know anyone that has one though.

VIP Member
    Couldn't tell you anything about that specific gun, but DE in general have a good reputation. And that sounds to me to be a really good price.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

JD
    Administrator
    Quality holsters are hard to find if I recall correctly, buy if your going for a "winter" gun, you should be able to find a decent generic belt or paddle holster to to the job. My cousin has a baby eagle in 9mm and it shoots really good. Personally I don't like the idea have having a gun for specific seasons, certain ocasions...OK.

What is your current carry gun and how do the controls of the baby eagle compare to it? Will the adding of the baby eagle force you to learn two different types of operation?

If they are different can you guarentee that in a stressful situation that you won't try to apply gun "A's" operational requirements to fire on gun "B"

If your going to have different guns for different things, I like to keep operations the same. Just one more reason I like the 1911 family and Glock family. Different sizes for different ocasions, but they all opertate the same as thier larger and smaller counterparts.

*on a side note $300 is a good price, pick it up anyway, decide if you want to carry it later...

Coppernight is right, it is a good price. You rarely hear about them (my experience) in fourms etc. I trust mine and have always been pleased with it. Mine is a slim stylish reliable chunk of steel that is very acurate.

Assistant Administrator
    I know of Baby Eagle carry folks - not many true but do not recall any adverse reports for such us.

Seems may be worth snapping that up anyways - as I'd think if not to your liking you should not suffer any great fiscal loss if you decide to move it on.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have handled the gun in Gander Mountain but never shot one. The big brother Desert Eagles have a good solid history and reputation. It is a big gun to cover- but like you said winter carry would work.

The price is good and if you're into it- Heck Yeah!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

A coworker at my last job had one, and used it to shoot a home intruder, the cops confiscated it to do some ballistics on it and when they returned it, it came back with several offers from the cops....he loved that gun. And I gotta agree with some of the others, for that price, why not?
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

I had the full sized 9mm one, and it served great as a range gun, and one for home defense. I never thought about carrying it, and have heard people looking for holsters have had some problems doing so.

I believe the .45 model is the same as the mid-sized 9MM model, so slightly smaller than what I had. I am sure it's still heavy, especially when loaded.

Might as well get it - for the price it sounds like a great deal. Worst case if you can't carry it, you have something good for range days.

Sounds like a nice price on a good gun. You might want to contact a few holster makers to see if they can make a rig for you though. Nothing more annoying than buying a gun and then finding out later there's no aftermarket support for it.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Sounds like a nice price on a good gun. You might want to contact a few holster makers to see if they can make a rig for you though. Nothing more annoying than buying a gun and then finding out later there's no aftermarket support for it.
    Jack
    True, but for that price, I'd forgo concealed carry if necessary and go with a generic Uncle Mikes or some such.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

At the Magnum Research website they list Uncle Mike's as a sorce for holsters.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Baby_Eagle.asp

I do remember a while back when I did research there were a few custom holster makers that made some for the Baby Eagle.

For the price you said....I'd buy it.

Thanks all. To add, its the steel version .45 ACP, few hundred rounds through it. Ive read that its heavy so it may not be an ideal CC gun, but for the $ I see it as a deal. It is listed for $450 at budsgunshop.com and goes for $500 at Sportsman Warehouse.

I recently passed up a Browning Hi-power MkIII for $400 - private sale and told myself I would not make the same mistake if I had the chance again.

If I like, keep. If I dont like, trade-up. I carried my XDsc9 with me recently to a gun show and was shocked at how many offers I got to buy or trade. Figure I could do well with this BDE.

Good for you. My 9mm steel version is heavy too, I'm sure that has a lot to do with its great shooting.

Good luck on your purchase.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Buy it today, or tell me where, so I can buy it today!!!!
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links