Para LDA for me?

This is a discussion on Para LDA for me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok...........now........I want some input, yes, the "old man" here is asking my fellow Forumites for advice... Ok, now, I found a REALLY NICE as new ...

Thread: Para LDA for me?

Para LDA for me?

Ok...........now........I want some input, yes, the "old man" here is asking my fellow Forumites for advice...
    Ok, now, I found a REALLY NICE as new Para Ordnance PXT 645S 3" LDA Carry in stainless steel, with box, xtra mag for the price of 427.50 out the door.
    Now.........how bout some good/bad ugly about the little guns.. it's 6+1 in 45ACP with novak sights and dovtailed front sight.. should I get it? or is it a can of worms?
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I love the grip size of the para, my only isue with that one is the barrel is 3" instead of 4". Kinda wierd, Para put a nice bevertail on the 3" gun but not on their 4" one.

Pssst...I like the price too.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    No personal experience Bob - but I'll wager you'll get it LOL!

I do hear that trigger is nice but I admit I am a tad biased towards shorter barrel stuff.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've had the P10 series, but this one flew in today, and it caught my eye. the price is real attractive (475.00) and it fits real nice too.....I havn't found any reviews on these guns, and it kinda intregues me once more. (yes ladies and gents I do have my drool factor too) It's a lot lighter than my colt defender and the detonics CM guns I have..and seems smaller than the Colt defender. the big asset is, the DA mode, with the typical 1911 safeties
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Lead Moderator
    My buddy had a 4" LDA . The slide release would come out with out the slide being back to the proper position. also the LDA series has many small parts in it. Para did fix his LDA, and it seemed to shoot well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've had a single action steel frame Para P-12 (3.5" bbl) for almost a dozen years and I love it!

At the NRA convention that was held in Kansas City several years back I pulled the trigger on of the LDA's and WOW... Like drawing a hot knive across soft butter. Absolutely no creep what so ever!

Para builds good guns... I paid $685 for my NIB single action P-12 almost 12 years ago. An LDA for < $450 would be a buy for me!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    It's a lot lighter than my Colt Defender and the Detonics CM guns I have..and seems smaller than the Colt Defender.
    I don't believe that a Para 3 inch 1911 is lighter in weight than a Colt Defender. I have a Colt Defender and it weighs about 24 ounces empty with magazine. I went to the Para website and looked at the specs on their 3 inch LDA pistols, and the aluminum frame version, which was 9mm, weighed 24 ounces, while the steel framed versions in .45 caliber weighed about 30 ounces. Here is the link:

Para Ordnance 3 inch LDA models

I find the TAC-4 and COLONEL models fit my hands really well. But I worry about so many moving parts and the trigger's requirements to be fully under constant tension to be in the LDA mode. I also worry about the lack of second strike capability. I dunno. Maybe after I have all the "toys" I feel I (ahem) "really NEED" lol, I'll pick one up for fun.

Then of course there is the OTHER issue of a sub four inch 1911 being inherently flawed in design. I've owned three (IIRC) and they were ALL POS JAM-A-MATICS from the "get-go." I was in a continuing correspondence with the late GREAT Jeff Cooper on this subject. We exchanged letters a few times and he made the subject a topic in one of his columns wherein he stated there had been several reports of failure from "the field" and he was only going to say that unless given one as a gift, he'd never own a sub 4" 1911. I do know they are very finicky with the grip and it's very easy to get a limp wrist effect and a subsequent FTF/FTE. It's something about the double compressed springs and not enough lockup time for full extraction.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; May 21st, 2007 at 07:59 AM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have a Para 3 inch CCO and I love the trigger on it. No creep...it just goes bang. I used it to shoot up some of the safe orphan rounds HP, FMJ mixed mags...nothing made it balk.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I had one but sold it. It was just too heavy for CCW. (P12-LDA). Steve48

Thats a steal of a price for that para LDA !
    I have a 12.45 LDA which i think highly of. I replaced the extractor, and recoil spring in her, and all is well..... That one isn't going no where.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Para LDA for me?

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I find the TAC-4 and COLONEL models fit my hands really well. But I worry about so many moving parts and the trigger's requirements to be fully under constant tension to be in the LDA mode. I also worry about the lack of second strike capability. I dunno. Maybe after I have all the "toys" I feel I (ahem) "really NEED" lol, I'll pick one up for fun.

Then of course there is the OTHER issue of a sub four inch 1911 being inherently flawed in design. I've owned three (IIRC) and they were ALL POS JAM-A-MATICS from the "get-go." I was in a continuing correspondence with the late GREAT Jeff Cooper on this subject. We exchanged letters a few times and he made the subject a topic in one of his columns wherein he stated there had been several reports of failure from "the field" and he was only going to say that unless given one as a gift, he'd never own a sub 4" 1911. I do know they are very finicky with the grip and it's very easy to get a limp wrist effect and a subsequent FTF/FTE. It's something about the double compressed springs and not enough lockup time for full extraction.
    I have owned 2 Colt Defenders that I bought about 4 years ago. They shot perfectly out of the case, as accurately at 50 ft. as my Commanders. They have never FTF or FTE. They are gems.

- samb -

Thumbs up I can only speak for myself

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I have owned 2 Colt Defenders that I bought about 4 years ago. They shot perfectly out of the case, as accurately at 50 ft. as my Commanders. They have never FTF or FTE. They are gems.

- samb -
    I ignored the advice of my whole IDPA club on this question. A couple of times. Each time they were proven 100% correct. It just seems to hold true for the 1911 design. I have found it especially prevalent in the Springfield "micro's" and the Colt Officer's Model. I've never owned a defender nor have I heard anything specifically bad about them. OTOH, neither have I been given rave reviews on the Defender. I'm not running down your guns, just relating the experiences of myself and the folks in my IDPA Club.

See for me, a gun I carry for the defense of me & mine has to work the first time and ALL the time. I'll allow a break in period of a couple hundred rounds but I feel I shouldn't have to do that on a modern weapon.

Case in point: I asked my best friend his opinion on the most reliable combat sidearm. Being a retired 05 of Special Forces, I tend to listen to his opinions on this, pretty closely. He said if he had to choose ONE sidearm to take to war straight from the box without a lube or even cleaned it'd be the H&K USP 45. So, I got one.

Decided to test his rather outlandish assertions.

I took it straight from the box to the range. I determined to shoot it and not clean or lube it until it jammed the first time (FTE or FTF). I figured it might take as many as 500 rds based on what my buddy had said. TWO THOUSAND ROUNDS LATER that baby was still humming along. I had to clean her up out of sheer respect.

Right then I determined this was the one to protect the family 24/7. I hung a gunlight on the rail and it's been my dedicated HD gun ever sense. The full size USP 45 is a little bit to large for comfortable concealed carry in this tropical climate, anyway.

But that's the kind of relability I'm after...all the time. Not even my 2 1911's deliver that kind of performance. They're good, but not that good. I can't seem to get thru a single IDPA match with a 1911 which is often as little as 150rds or so, without doing a field strip and grease job.

THAT kind of reliability I've so far found in the H&K, Sig Sauer and Glock. I currently own an example of each. My next major purchase is going to be a Sig Sauer P226 BlackWater.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I have a Para 3 inch CCO and I love the trigger on it. No creep...it just goes bang. I used it to shoot up some of the safe orphan rounds HP, FMJ mixed mags...nothing made it balk.

The CCO is the 3.5", the Carry is the 3"
    I have the stainless CCO, only problem it's ever had was ammo related, it didn't like the cheap Rem UMC from Wally World but has digested everything else I've fed it, including reloads.

just went an put another hundred rounds thru my p12 yesterday with no problems. Happy memorial day folks !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Links