Taurus PT-1911 - Page 2

Taurus PT-1911

This is a discussion on Taurus PT-1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I handled a PT1911 at a "sports" store a few months back...not a gun shop. The slide was a little rough, the trigger pull heavier ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus PT-1911

I handled a PT1911 at a "sports" store a few months back...not a gun shop. The slide was a little rough, the trigger pull heavier than I like and a little gritty, and the finish for a $569 price tag wasn't what I would've expected. In all fairness, the gun probably needed a good cleaning and lubing, but probably won't get that at a "sports" store.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

I have 7 1911's, one of them a PT1911 and I'm delighted with it!!!!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I own, Carry, and Shoot a PT1911 regularly and love it.

The finish leaves a lot to be desired compared to higher end guns. it scratches easy.

It does, however, have several features not found on guns wiothin $2-300. The beavertail grip safety is smooth, the commander hammer is nice (though I think it will eventually go to get rid of the lock), the sights are nice, visible, and contoured for carry. It's a comfortable shooter and has been flawless for me through ~1000 rounds.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I think after hearing all the great reviews the Taurus 1911 has been recieving, I'll definitely have to look harder into getting one. I've grown attached to Springfield Armory when it comes to 1911s, but the Taurus does sound like the best bang for the buck.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Taurus 1911

I have worked on two of them. The aftermarket parts I used required some minor fitting, some were drop in. No better or worse than any other brand of 1911.

There's going to be a segment on the PT1911 tonight on "American Rifleman".
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Did anyone see this, I am thinking about taking one of these home this weekend, but have not fully sold my self on one. It will be my first 1911 and want to make sure I get a good one. Also look at putting it through some stress as wanting to use it for IDPA, Carry and just some practice.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I bought a PT1911 back in February. I love it!

It's got the smoothest trigger I've ever encountered on a factory pistol. In fact, it's every bit as smooth as the trigger on my Commander AFTER the trigger job.

I've only put about 400 rounds through it so far, but I haven't had a single malfunction of any kind.

When I first fired it at the range, with family there, there were only two target holders available, and my daughter and future son-in-law were using those. So, I wandered over to the end of the firing line, where there was a resettable set of 6 bowling-pin shaped steel silhouettes and had a go at those. 6 shots, 6 hits - right out of the box - never fired this particular gun before.

When I DID get to punch holes in paper, it turned out to be child's play to put a fist-size group on the target from 15 yards.

Accurate, reliable, powerful, comfortable, affordable -- what more could you ask for? (Well, maybe a finish that doesn't scuff up as bad....)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    I have a Taurus PT1911 in fact i have 3 the 1st one has over 5,000rds so far and not a hiccup. I replaced the hammer to get rid of the stupid safety lock and put new grips on. it will shoot 1.5" groups from a rest and i can put 5 rds into 2.5"-3" off hand at 25yrds, i love mine and am waiting for the stainless versions, i have 36 other 1911's and i really like the Taurus.
    Are you saying that you were able to pretty much drop in a regular hammer? That is the one thing that I do not like about the Taurus PT1911.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links