Taurus PT-1911

Taurus PT-1911

This is a discussion on Taurus PT-1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did some searching but couldn't find anything conclusive. I'm thinking about selling my Kahr when it comes back from repair and getting a Taurus ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT-1911

Taurus PT-1911

I did some searching but couldn't find anything conclusive. I'm thinking about selling my Kahr when it comes back from repair and getting a Taurus PT-1911 instead. I'm a .45 guy myself and I handled one at the local shop. It felt nice and heavy and its an 8+1. I've never fired a 1911 before but from what I've read, the Taurus is done pretty nicely and is good for a "starter" 1911. My question is this, can the Taurus 1911 accept other 1911 parts such as barrels, bushings, slides, frames, etc?

I see tons of aftermarket parts for these pistols but question the Taurus' ability to accept them. I'm not too worried about concealment, I have concealed my full size G22 easily with the clothing I wear.

On edit: All this time I've been searching for a "compromise" between concealability and ability to take it out and have fun with it on a regular basis. The P40 I have has done great but it has issues. I think I'm done with plastic guns, as my Glock is the only one that has ever taken a beating and survived. I've also had a PT-145 in the past that broke as well. I'm just gonna bite the proverbial bullet and get a steel pistol with a 4"+ barrel.

I'm thinking about getting one myself and I'm curious to see the response on this gun.

I've been shopping for one as well. The price is the only thing that has stopped me. Do i want to invest 500.00 in this gun or maybe 700.00 in a bigger name. Now i like Taurus and have a few of them...but none of them were 500.00
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by tapout1003 View Post
    Now i like Taurus and have a few of them...but none of them were 500.00
    ain't that a fact....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I have a Taurus 1911, and I love it. Paid $480 for mine, and it outshoots my best friend's Springfield,and achieves similar results to his Kimber (I may just be a better shooter, but he'd disagree with that). It's well fit, well contructed, and the finish is excellent. My other 1911 is a Rock Island, and the Taurus is leaps and bounds more accurate and smooth. It feeds anything i've thrown at it, JHP's and ball, through both the included mags and standard 1911 mags i've got lying around. Good sights. For a 1911 with all the bells and whistles, it's a great price, and i'm extremely pleased. It's going to be my carry weapon as soon as I get my license in the mail.

I've heard lots of good things, and thank you for the input as well. However this thread is more or less for the discussion of other aftermarket parts fitting the 1911. You have one and other 1911s, so maybe you can shed some light?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    I've heard lots of good things, and thank you for the input as well. However this thread is more or less for the discussion of other aftermarket parts fitting the 1911. You have one and other 1911s, so maybe you can shed some light?
    To my knowledge, it's the exact same as any other 1911 parts wise. I've not changed anything out, but I compared it pretty closely to another 1911 that's mil-spec, and it's all the same.

Thank you, sir. :)

Thumbs up Interchangeable Parts

Yes, all market 7 aftermarket parts for the standard 1911 will fit the Taurus PT1911.

I love the way mine looks, handles and shoots. My favorite local gun shop had them for $459 in Dec. of 06 when I bought mine. They now sell them for $549. The salesmen there say they've had a tremendous amount of positive feedback on them.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    yes....all 1911 parts will 'fit'. with most 1911s, some fitting is required to install many aftermarket pieces, that is a very common thing in the 1911 world. In fact, if it does not state it is a 'drop in' part, so fitting may be necessary. Some gunsmiths or 1911 guys, will say drop in parts are only drop in for the big named 1911's....I have a charles daly, and the parts all worked on that.
    I think you have to weigh how much the firearms costs, and how much you want to spend on aftermarkets, and then see what kind of 1911 you can buy with that money. I bought a used charles daly, just to 'learn' how to work on them. I have taken it to a few different 1911 armory classes, and it has served its purpose. but I still shoot Kimbers, and SA at the range.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I have 2 of them couldnt be happier both shoot excellent and eat up any ammo I give em. All parts will fit to a point with a little fitting except the sights as Taurus has their own sight cut in the slide but aftermarket sights can be cut to fit. If the finish was a little better I would be happy but my plans are to send one of them off for reblueing and to sell the other one after.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

How much? :D lol

Ryan: I have a complete set up for it , 2extra sets of grips some extra mags ( Kimber protac and Wilson 47D's ) and a leather OWB from Ranger Gunleather it would depend how much of the package you wanted, the one I'm selling has a 300 round count. If you are interested PM me and let me know exactly what you want and I'll send some pics tonight after work ( midnight )
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I have a Taurus PT1911 in fact i have 3 the 1st one has over 5,000rds so far and not a hiccup. I replaced the hammer to get rid of the stupid safety lock and put new grips on. it will shoot 1.5" groups from a rest and i can put 5 rds into 2.5"-3" off hand at 25yrds, i love mine and am waiting for the stainless versions, i have 36 other 1911's and i really like the Taurus.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I had one that was great until it developed a hammer follow and some other little problems. It worked pretty well with just about any ammo, but I noticed ballooned primers after several members of other forums posted about problems with slide metal work that was not finished. Taurus had a 6-10 week backlog at the time, and since it was my CCW, I ended up selling it and buying a Beretta 96D Centurion. I could have had Taurus fix the problems or done it myself with some special order parts and a little DIY smithing, but I didn't want to put up with the downtime. Maybe in the near future I'll try the stainless version and give Taurus a second chance since they might have worked out the bugs (it was one of the earlier runs of the blued PT1911s), but I thought I'd throw that out there since there were threads on other forums about problems people were having about six months ago.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links