Review: Nighthawk Custom Talon IV

This is a discussion on Review: Nighthawk Custom Talon IV within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You all know that I got my wife a Talon IV. Well my wife has been slammed with work and all and she wanted her ...

Thread: Review: Nighthawk Custom Talon IV

You all know that I got my wife a Talon IV. Well my wife has been slammed with work and all and she wanted her pistol put through its paces before she attends a tactical class this sunday.

I fired 250 rds today and this Talon IV shoots like a dream. So much so I am scared to get my Talon I.

Unfortunately the Talon IV shipped with two Mecgar mags as Nighthawk Custom is out of ACT/Novak mags and yes they have already promised me replacement mags. They just did not want to hold up delivery of my wife's Talon IV due to mags. I think that was pretty cool of them, but seating a mag with a conventional mag plate into a pistol with a mag well does get disconcerting real quick. Ask me how I know ...

Back to the Talon IV. I was expecting this thing to kick like a mule as there is less mass in front of the trigger than that in which I am accustom to shooting (read Gov't 1911's) I was also expecting to have some FTE or FTRB or such issues as you all have mentioned. That was so not the case. This dear pistol ran like a top.

In 250 rds I am so impressed with the quality of this pistol. The recoil on this is less than the felt recoil on my P14-45. How I do not know but I am so glad I forked over the funds for this pistol. I know my wife will absolutely love this pistol. The trigger breaks at a lil under #3.5 and I knwo that my previous 1911's got smoother with rds through the bbl. How this can get any smoother is beyond me, this already feels as if it is on ball bearings.

So anyways, to the good part, how does she print on paper. Well I started @ 7 yds and decided to run her hard. Heck that is what I paid for, not some safe queen. I figured I would do quick mag dumps. The target shows the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

The head shots where @ 10 yds rapid with a mag change. The COM shots were @ 7 yds and were also rapid. I am very impressed with this pistol. The front strap checkering kept the Talon IV in my hand and the recoil had the front sight go up a bit and settle down real quick like. I am still in awe.

The Side cranial shots were from the holster 1 shot placements. I am also wicked impressed with the accuracy of this lil 1911.

Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

DC Founder
    You hold a much tighter group than I but your observations on the performance and characteristics are the same as I experienced on my gun. I have about 500 rounds through mine so far and have not had a failure of any kind. Even dirty, the Nighthawk is an extremely reliable 1911. And, I noticed the recoil is much different than my Kimber which is the same size and approximately the same weight. The timing of mine is awesome. Follow ups are very quick.

Glad to hear you like it, Andy, I'm sure the wife will too!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper, I was figuring that it was going to be a serious handful to hold on to yet I was not prepared for the way and meticulous detail this pistol was put together. I do not know what I can attribute the less felt recoil to other than workmanship and attention to detail. Simply a work of art and I am glad my wife will have such an amazing pistol to use as her primary carry pistol. IF any of you are on the fence about one of Nighthawk Custom's pistols please rest assured that they are bang for the buck. You DO get what you paid for with these pistols.

Just makes me even more anxious to get my Talon now.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Sponsored Links