IDPA/IPSC gun suggestions

This is a discussion on IDPA/IPSC gun suggestions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this site is devoted to concealed carry, and if this post is out of line, please feel free to delete it. Recently tried ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA/IPSC gun suggestions

IDPA/IPSC gun suggestions

I know this site is devoted to concealed carry, and if this post is out of line, please feel free to delete it.

Recently tried my hand at an IPSC fun match with my AR15 and liked the challenge. Want to try pistol as well and am looking for suggestions on a good 9mm or 45 for this type of shooting ( I want to stay in the stock class, not interested in building a "race gun").

I have a Glock 36, and can shoot it pretty well, and a S&W 3913
    9mm, but both are a little short on round count and barrel length for these games, I think.

I am open to suggestions, and would like to hear from those that shoot the Glock 19,17, or 21. How about the full size XD's ?

TIA for your comments,

Jim

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    My thinking is - use the gun you carry or a spare of it or something close.

I do believe that the extra familiarity with the manual of arms pays dividends.

I shoot IDPA with my 228 - which is only a tad smaller than my EDC 226 ... it suits well and I use same holster. Many folks of course shoot Glocks and in many cases are again using a carry platform. I saw XD's and M&P's as well as 1911's at last shoot too on Saturday.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I am also interested in shooting IDPA and just purchased a M&P9 for that purpose.

Keep in mind that I have not shot IDPA so I can't really recommend any one gun. I can tell you that I really like my M&P. It handles and shoots really well. I can also tell you that I have shot a XD9 and really liked it as well. Both guns shoot really well. I actually plan on adding a XD to my collection.

You can find the M&P 9 or .40 at Buds Guns for 400.00.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

Good luck and let us know what you end up choosing.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I joined IDPA a few months ago. It is a lot of fun and a good way to practice rapid fire that you can't do on the typical shooting range.

I started out using my carry piece, a Glock 19. It has 15 round mags, but in IDPA you can only load 10 rounds per mag. This makes things a little more fair for the people who are using the 1911 style with only 7 or 8 rounds.

Recently, I purchased a Glock 34. This is made specifically for this type of shooting. It has a lighter trigger than the G19 and the longer barrel helps with accuracy. The added weight also cuts back on recoil.

Have fun.

4" XD .40 with 12 round mags load 11 in first mag and 10 in remaining. works well for me until i have to shoot at 60feet, (see "longer shot") I intend to remedy that with practice.

Thanks
    MikeV

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I shoot IDPA with my 228 - which is only a tad smaller than my EDC 226 ... it suits well and I use same holster.
    Interesting that you carry the larger gun and compete with the smaller one....

I would agree heartily that using your carry gun, or at least a very similar model, is the best way to go...think of it more as training than a sport, IMHO.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I would like to get involved in IDPA also... I think I'd probably use my Beretta 96...
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

I've competed in USPSA production and limited class.....I agree with the suggestion that you might consider driving something like what you carry (i.e., similar manual of arms, pointing, etc.). If you like Glock, that's a great pistol for USPSA. In production class, consider the G17 or G34 (minor scoring and 10 rounds per mag limit). In Limited class, the G35 is a popular choice (add magwell, magazine extensions, etc.). Production class is a great, inexpensive way of getting into competitive pistol shooting. I started in production with a G19 until I switched to something different. :)

Ordinarily I'd say...shot what you got for the most benefit. But, if you want to toy up a bit to compete, that's okay too. I tell people that an M&P 9mm is my current most-likely-to-tell-people to get gun. BUT, if you have and like a Glock already, so try a G17 or 34 (ouch that hurts). Different size but same controls and trigger. OR, if you like the S&W action on your 3913 better, there are some cheap police trade in 5906s that appear now and then...for under $400 IIRC. Again, different grip but same manual of arms. But run a few rounds through an M&P, too. I have a pretty much standard "try before you buy if at all possible" disclaimer because everybody has different hands, tastes, and perceptions of what the ideal handgun for any given task is.
    Last edited by sheepdog; May 22nd, 2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: clarity
    What Would Gumby Do?

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
    I know this site is devoted to concealed carry, and if this post is out of line, please feel free to delete it.

Recently tried my hand at an IPSC fun match with my AR15 and liked the challenge. Want to try pistol as well and am looking for suggestions on a good 9mm or 45 for this type of shooting ( I want to stay in the stock class, not interested in building a "race gun").

I have a Glock 36, and can shoot it pretty well, and a S&W 3913
    9mm, but both are a little short on round count and barrel length for these games, I think.

I am open to suggestions, and would like to hear from those that shoot the Glock 19,17, or 21. How about the full size XD's ?

TIA for your comments,

Jim

If you want to shoot production, check the USPSA web site for all the guns that qualify. 9's score the same a big bore guns in production, so it makes sense to shoot a more controllable round.

I've seen many people win a production match with Glock's, XD's, Sig's and even a few Beretta's. All of them were in 9mm.

G17 and full size XD's are the most popular. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Find a used polymer gun and a bunch of magazines and you are set for fun for many years to come.

Good luck.

whw

VIP Member
    If you really want to get into the gun games, a 9mm is best for IDPA and you'll need a .40 to make major power factor in USPSA. So, if you're just wanting one gun, I'd point you to a Glock 22 or 35. If you want two guns, buy one of those and a 17 or 34.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Think I'll keep my eye out for a used full size polymer 9. Looking forward to competing - but even more, looking forward to meeting other "birds of the feather".

Jim

I am thinking of doing some playing as well and I EDC a Glock 26. I figured it was a bit small so I have now picked up a 19 for the task. So far have not been able to outshoot my 26 with the 19. LOL, Go figure.........
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    I am thinking of doing some playing as well and I EDC a Glock 26. I figured it was a bit small so I have now picked up a 19 for the task. So far have not been able to outshoot my 26 with the 19. LOL, Go figure.........
    I also have a 26 for EDC and I got a 35 for IDPA. I even modified the 35 to shoot 9mm instead of .40 and worked on the trigger. I had the same problem as you are having. I consistently shot the 26 better than the 35 for a long time. It is just in the last few months that I have been getting in the groove with the 35. And I just got a 19 to throw in the mix.

In a way, what you are talking about is a good thing. You should be shooting you EDC better. The 19 is what you got for IDPA matches. Your EDC is what you are depending on for saving your life someday. Which one is more important I'll leave up to you.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    If you really want to get into the gun games, a 9mm is best for IDPA and you'll need a .40 to make major power factor in USPSA. So, if you're just wanting one gun, I'd point you to a Glock 22 or 35. If you want two guns, buy one of those and a 17 or 34.
    Thats what I was going to say, but Echo already said it. Here it is again, cause its right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links