High power revo's - carry or no? - Page 2

High power revo's - carry or no?

This is a discussion on High power revo's - carry or no? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm really torn... I'm pretty sure we'll be getting CCW here in NE this year. I've got 15 handguns, but my local friendly FFL has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High power revo's - carry or no?

I'm really torn...

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting CCW here in NE this year.

I've got 15 handguns, but my local friendly FFL has a Commander AND a Taurus SS snubbie in .41 mag (it's ported) that have caught my eye. (I already reload .41 mag, so I've got that covered.) My CCW primary will probably be my P-16, since it's what I shoot IPSC with.

What to do, what to do???

Also, CCW will be somewhat problematic. I only live 4 mi from KS...no CCW there so will have to make allowances when I drive south. Omaha will probably be a verboten zone...must register firearms with the cops & carrying in a vehicle is restricted by city ord. Have to wait for the city & state to hash that out. Also, most every time we head to Omaha it's to go to Offutt AFB for meds/commissairy. I'm pretty sure the zoomies take a dim view of firearms aboard their base, every other branch of the AF does.

National CCW would sure make life easier! (Heavy sigh.)
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

DC Founder
    I REALLY like the .41 mag. One of the few S&W revolovers I have owned was a model 657 with an 8" barrel. That was one hell of a gun. Not practical for concealed carry but worked well as a backup when hunting black bear with a muzzleloader. In Colorado, muzzleloader and pistol seasons ran at the same time.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'd rather have some increased recoil and muzzle jump than to carry a gun with ports for self defense. What happens if you have to shoot up close and from a position of "retention?" If you're not careful, you might get a face full of hot gases and particulate matter at just the worst time imaginable. Then of course there is the L-O-U-D factor.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie
    I'm really torn...

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting CCW here in NE this year.

I've got 15 handguns, but my local friendly FFL has a Commander AND a Taurus SS snubbie in .41 mag (it's ported) that have caught my eye. (I already reload .41 mag, so I've got that covered.) My CCW primary will probably be my P-16, since it's what I shoot IPSC with.

What to do, what to do???

Also, CCW will be somewhat problematic. I only live 4 mi from KS...no CCW there so will have to make allowances when I drive south. Omaha will probably be a verboten zone...must register firearms with the cops & carrying in a vehicle is restricted by city ord. Have to wait for the city & state to hash that out. Also, most every time we head to Omaha it's to go to Offutt AFB for meds/commissairy. I'm pretty sure the zoomies take a dim view of firearms aboard their base, every other branch of the AF does.

National CCW would sure make life easier! (Heavy sigh.)
    IF your state lawmakers have any sense, they'll include a pre-emption law that will not grandfather any pre-existing ordinances.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I'd rather have some increased recoil and muzzle jump than to carry a gun with ports for self defense. What happens if you have to shoot up close and from a position of "retention?" If you're not careful, you might get a face full of hot gases and particulate matter at just the worst time imaginable. Then of course there is the L-O-U-D factor.
    That's it exactly: my problem in a nutshell. Trying to find a viable large bore carry revolver should not be at all difficult but it is.

The darn thing is .44 Special is actually the catridge I'm looking for but after Tourist cautioned me I looked into it and found out that it comes way underloaded. That's a real bummer as it defeats the entire purpose.

The Alaskan is worth looking at though. I want to go handle a SRH and see if the frame itself is too big to carry around or not.

Question 44sp v 45LC

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    The darn thing is .44 Special is actually the catridge I'm looking for but after Tourist cautioned me I looked into it and found out that it comes way underloaded. That's a real bummer as it defeats the entire purpose.The Alaskan is worth looking at though. I want to go handle a SRH and see if the frame itself is too big to carry around or not.
    I think that given the choices in modern ammunition, the 45 Colt has the edge, especially when paired with the 454 Casull interchangeably. Unless the Ruger is bigger than an N Frame Smith, or bigger than a Super Redhawk, this is a doable thing...at least for ME which as I've indicated, it the next gun after the Sig I'm currently lusting after. Unless of course I break down and get a high cap 1911 Commander length ParaOrd (TAC4 LDA) then the Alaskan becomes number three.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Well, my next gun buy is gonna be a Ruger Vaquero in .44 mag, 7 1/2 " barrel. Maybe as a truck gun, but otherwise it would be hard to conceal and heavy too.

Big Wheel Gun

A friend was a deputy sheriff on the Larimer County force (Fort Collins, Colorado) and carried a Smith M-29 with 4" barrel when in plain clothes. I remarked about so much firepower and he said they were allowed to carry anything they could qualify with, and if he had to shoot at a perp in a vehicle he wanted all the penetration he could get. He claimed it was not uncomfortable to carry, and he was not a really big man. He also showed me his first M-29, complete with three-piece cylinder. Seems he had a bunch of .44 Special brass collected when he was a CHP officer and decided to reload it for his new .44 Mag. Apparently he managed to double charge at least one round with Bullseye, and the smaller volume of the shorter case compounded the problem. The third round in his brand new revolver split the cylinder and embedded the top strap in the ceiling of his garage. Yep, inside the garage. He lived on the edge of town and had a chunk of a 24 inch log set up in the end of the garage and would shoot into it to test new loads. It can happen to anybody, he spent his tour of Viet Nam on a Navy river patrol boat and survived several attempts to send him to his maker. He was not a careless man, just got overcome by Murphy one time.

vmo
    I had an old SRH with a 7 1/2 in barrel that I never shot. When the hoopla started about the Alaskan, I looked at the feasability of cutting off the barrel on my SRH. Sure enough, I found a willing gunsmith. $100 later I had a 2.25 inch .44 Mag SRH. I took it too the range and tried it out. WOW, indoor ranges get really empty after you torch off a couple of full power magnum loads from that short barrel. I'm trying to find a IWB holster for it now. The model 29 speedloaders work for it. My brother-in-law (the cop) is always telling me to "carry enough gun", this ought to shut that off! I had the 'smith reverse crown the barrel also, makes the bore look REALLY huge. Now there's deterrence for you!

Exclamation Free Holster

Quote Originally Posted by vmo
    I'm trying to find a IWB holster for it now.
    If you'll send your gun to Blade Tech so they can use it to form an original mold they will give you the HOLSTER FOR FREE.
    http://www.blade-tech.com I think this is the link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links