High power revo's - carry or no?

This is a discussion on High power revo's - carry or no? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have pretty much settled on my SIG 226 now - and tho I have SP-101 for carry have the feeling that 15+1 gives me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High power revo's - carry or no?

Assistant Administrator

I have pretty much settled on my SIG 226 now - and tho I have SP-101 for carry have the feeling that 15+1 gives me a slight ''buffer''.

That said - I have carried my M28-2 in the past - even the 629 - on the basis that a coupla hits from these will do way more to ''persuade'' a BG to quit then a load more 9mm's!!

Of course yeah - shot placement every time but - somehow there is a feeling of ''edge'' when the carry is more ''cannon'' in character! I personally do not find the .357 mag or even 44 mag, in an N frame revo, that hard to control - years of useage I guess but - what do you reckon?

Trade capacity for extreme disablement? If control is good then why not? I love the SIG but there are times when I still think of the ''usefullness'' of the ''big boys'' with some relish!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Given the fact that in most SD encounters the sight of the gun deters further engagment, the sight of a large wheelgun doesn't leave much room for the perp to misinterpert your intentions. If you can conceal it/shoot it then go for it. I carried a 4" K-frame in .357 all this winter....

DC Founder
    I would have no problem carrying a large revolver as long as long as I had a carry option that would keep it concealed and that it wasn't so heavy it wouldn't be pulling my pants down. Sitting side by side I would pick up my 1911, though.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

At one point in time, I often carried a 6.5 in S&W 29 in a Safariland shoulder rig, or the "dirty Harry" shoulder rig.. I also had a 29 in Arm-Allloy that was quite persuasive, as looking down the muzzel of a Stainless or Armaoly weapon makes the bore look that much larger. They both were very controlable, due to Mag-Na-Porting. I think however, with the way lifesyles and the BG's are today, if they're hardcore enough, they'll go for it no matter what, and you need to engrain that in your mind, in order to survive an encounter..

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I don't know, but if I saw some gang-banger with a 6-inch 629 I'd wonder to myself if the guy has seen too many movies.

Granted, some motor officers (cops on motorcycles) in my area did carry 4-inch 29's for a while. The thought was that if a cop needed to draw his weapon in a remote area it would take several minutes response time to get more officers to him. A big, dangerous gun seemed to be the answer.

Until the FBI shoot-out in Miami. Then it was learned that a firearm of proper calibre coupled with good techniques and marksmanship makes the real turning point.

If you did a questionaire of working guns in law enforcement, you would then keep seeing SW .40's in staggered column automatics, like Glocks, with some cities like mine using .45 ACP's.

High-caps have always been okay of LEO's but I wonder if the 9x19 is going to make a comeback.

After all, New York City has always been the model for training and excellence. They pump more dollars per capita into training than anyone else. Up until recently, most of the 12,000 officers carried .38 SPL's in 4-inch revolvers.

VIP Member
    Don't look at me. I like to carry an N-Frame S&W 3". Mine are 624 (44 spcl), 629 (44 Mag), and 610 (10mm). My M27 hasn't been carried concealed yet.

They make pretty big holes, and carrying an N-Frame shows a certain style.

That style is I've lost 70lbs and have a lot of baggy cover garmets.

Truthfully I was considering one for my next carry gun, and I think I regretfully have to step away from the possibility. Why?

First of all I didn't want a magnum round. I'm trying to try something different.

I looked at what was available in .41, .44, and .45 LC and determined that the only way to get good catridges was with a large supply of brass and a Dillon press.

I still want one for some distant day, but not anymore I don't think, which is a real shame because I'd probably be more accurate with it.

The market in ammunition creates a self fulfilling prophecy. Create lots of good defensive catridges in, oh I don't know, .32 ACP, and everyone will use .32 ACP.

I think unless you're capable of loading your own catridges you're shoe horned into an automatic.

Now if you're willing to use Magnum catridges in these calibers, then by all means press on.

I've hedged my bets. I have a Sig 226 with a Mec-Gar 17 rounder (17+1) and a S&W 296 (44 special 5 shot) on my whenever I'm conscious.

The 296 isn't much heavier or bulkier in practice than keeping a spare mag for the Sig in my front pocket.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Truthfully I was considering one for my next carry gun, and I think I regretfully have to step away from the possibility. Why? First of all I didn't want a magnum round. I'm trying to try something different.
    I looked at what was available in .41, .44, and .45 LC and determined that the only way to get good catridges was with a large supply of brass and a Dillon press.
    Look at the new Ruger Alaskan snub in 454 Casull/45 LC. After my next Sig that'll likely be my next acquisition. The 45 Colt would be an easy round for self defense and the 454 would take care of Polar Bears that we find so plentiful here in South Florida....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Talking That Is So Awesome

You'd need a good belt and holster, but you need that anyway!

THAT IS AWESOME!!!

That is the most brilliant thing I think Ruger has ever cooked up. Holy crap I think I want one.

Wait wait... are there any good factory defensive rounds in .45LC?

Hmmm...

Still, AWESOME idea.

Here we go

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...GS8UC5B651ACAB

Super expensive but it exists!

There's also this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=691001

Still not cheap by any means but I like Winchester ammo.

There's cowboy rounds that I wouldn't use for defense but for practice I bet they'd be okay. They're rougly $16 for a box of 50.

Wouldn't be cheap to shoot, but dang it that's cool.

THANK YOU EXSOLDIER!

I had no idea this wonderful thing existed! Hot dang!

Thumbs up Ruger Alaskan

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean

You'd need a good belt and holster, but you need that anyway!

THAT IS AWESOME!!!

That is the most brilliant thing I think Ruger has ever cooked up. Holy crap I think I want one.

Wait wait... are there any good factory defensive rounds in .45LC?

Hmmm...

Still, AWESOME idea.
    Actually I think the Winchester Silvertip JHP's are pretty good in .45 LC for carry. I'll also bet Cor-Bon makes a good round in this caliber. I also understand that if Blade Tech hasn't yet made a mold for your gun, if you send it to them to use as a model for the Kydex, your holster is free and of course they guarantee not to harm your piece.

Here is a great holster alternative. Sort of a universal IWB. I have carried both full sized semi-autos and full sized revolvers in mine.

http://www.handgunconcealment.com/
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My purpose isn't per se to outperform some cartridge. It's to look at another possibility in the market I didn't think really existed.

Just because I'd plan on shooting .45 LC most of the time doesn't mean I am not considering the possibility of being able to shoot some .454, and on top of that it's in a relatively easy to carry format. I've always wanted a Ruger revolver too.

It solves a lot of problems for me. I want to try a new non magnum caliber in a large bore size, and I've always wanted a handgun that fires a relatively powerful catridge.

If I did get one of these it wouldn't ever travel alone anyway. I'd carry it with my 642. I load it with Speer Gold Dots and stick it in a Mika's pocket holster and that nicely replicates the Kahr PM9 in almost every respect, save the extra $150 I'd have paid for the Kahr.

As the old saying goes, 9mm MIGHT expand to .45, but a .45 doesn't shrink.

I got hi-cap and big bore with my Para-Ordnance P13.45. If 13+1 rounds of .45ACP aren't enough, I usually have 13 more, plus my PT911 backup with 15+1 rounds of 9mm.

Main weapon

Backup

http://www.rbcd.net/Personal%20Defense%20Ammo.htm

Check out the stats on 45ACP and 45LC on this page. Impressive...IF true. I have a buddy in SpecOps who swears by RBCD. I think when I'm out in Texas this summer since I'm going to San Antonio anyway, I'll drop in and pick up a box or three.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links