Glock 30 , Ultimate CCW Gun ?

This is a discussion on Glock 30 , Ultimate CCW Gun ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 36 is still a bit too thick for my hands. The 30 is way too thick. I have a full size G22 that I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 30 , Ultimate CCW Gun ?

The 36 is still a bit too thick for my hands. The 30 is way too thick. I have a full size G22 that I love, but for CCW I'll stick to something more thin, even if full size.

2. Remove Ads

I considered the G-30... The State Trooper who works part time at the gun shop carries a OD green G-30. Very nice, but I haven't shot it.

I went with the OD green XD9sc with the idea that my wife may end up confiscating it to replace her Ruger SP-101. So I really wanted to try the XD series guns to see if all the bells and whistles (grip safety, cocked striker indicator, loaded chamber indicator, improved ergonomics) are all worth it over my G-23. (I mean Springfield has had about 20 some odd years to make improvement on the Glock so I'm anxious to see if it's true)

If I don't like the XD as much as my Glock and the wife ends up with it, then I'll get the G-30. If I do like the XD better, I'll go with a XD45c instead.

Look for my reviews in the future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Which ever one saves my hide is my favorite.
    "Just blame Sixto"

AAHHH the G30 !! My main go to gun. When I first started looking at defensive pistols, I started with caliber. After going through them all I decided on the 45. Then I had to narrow it down to wich gun to carry.
    Wow ! It took the better part of 6 months to figure this out. Trying various models I had settled on 2, the Sig P245 and the Glock 30. The Sig felt so natural in my hand, but the gunshop only had a G-21 to compare against. Finally went to a better shop that had both. The Sig still feels great BUT the so did the G-30, in a different way. The tiebreaker came down to round count. The Sig lost out in this battle so I walked away with a new Glock 30. In the several thousand rounds I have fired from it since then, only once did it choke. Winchester white box, when I unjammed the pistol I noticed that the bullet was sitting out a little farther than the rest. So it was an ammo issue.
    Up until recently it was my only defensive handgun. About a month ago I picked up a new G-36 and have been happy with it so far. It will never replace the 30, but will from time to time ride with it's "partner".

The G27 is my ideal CCW gun!! Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by g3036 View Post
    AAHHH the G30 !! My main go to gun. When I first started looking at defensive pistols, I started with caliber. After going through them all I decided on the 45. Then I had to narrow it down to wich gun to carry.
    Wow ! It took the better part of 6 months to figure this out. Trying various models I had settled on 2, the Sig P245 and the Glock 30. The Sig felt so natural in my hand, but the gunshop only had a G-21 to compare against. Finally went to a better shop that had both. The Sig still feels great BUT the so did the G-30, in a different way. The tiebreaker came down to round count. The Sig lost out in this battle so I walked away with a new Glock 30. In the several thousand rounds I have fired from it since then, only once did it choke. Winchester white box, when I unjammed the pistol I noticed that the bullet was sitting out a little farther than the rest. So it was an ammo issue.
    Up until recently it was my only defensive handgun. About a month ago I picked up a new G-36 and have been happy with it so far. It will never replace the 30, but will from time to time ride with it's "partner".
    Good approach on selection criteria. I think you made a good decision!

XD 4lyfe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    Same here!
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

VIP Member
    yep, thats why I carry a 30
    need to add to the list....use G21 13rnd mags for spares
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I used to agree, as long as I was at the range in slow fire. I have big hands and still ran into problems when doing live fire exercises requiring draw, aim, fire. Under the stress of the clock, I had repeated problems with my Model 30 not going bang. Turned out that under a rapid draw I was having trouble getting a good grip on the gun and was sort of side- crushing the trigger safety, locking up the trigger safety against the back of the trigger guard. After trying the same course, (LEO qual course), with my Springfield XD .45 compact, no problems whatsoever with proper grip ( and failure to go bang) after about 200 draws that day. My Model 30 was long my favorite compact .45 as long as I was only shooting at the range and under to time constraits. Now the XD has bumped it out of my carry holster.
    watch your back---dave

I have the 19, 23, and 30. I carry the 30 sometimes, but usually the 23 with a .357 Sig barrel.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    The G-30 is a great weapon, you can't go wrong with it.

Like others have mentioned though, I like the G-23 a little better. I like the .40 S&W round, especially the 140GR Cor-Bon DPX variety, I also have a .357 SIG barrel for my Glock and can still use the same magazines and they hold 14 rounds of either. The G-23 is barely larger than the G-30. Someday though, I would love to get a G-30 to add to my collection.

If you can get a chance to shoot the G-30 first and maybe a G-23 as well I think you'll fall in love with one of them for sure!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Glock 26/27 over the 30 only because of pocket carry.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    Yeah, I gotta +1 this too. Got mine several weeks ago--my first Glock. It's replaced my XD40 as my EDC. As I've lost weight the XD printed more and more. The G27 is a bit big for the pocket but it'll go in a pinch. You can go with a flat baseplate for super small, Pearce +1 for "every day" and a G23 mag with A&G grip extender for those days when I can dress a little heavier & hide more gun. I always keep a G23 mag in the pocket for a reload. But for versatility, capacity & power...this little guy is TOUGH to beat.

Looked at G30's...couldn't get over the width! I might have sooner gone with a Taurus Mil Pro PT145. Glock's got a lot more accessories available though...

Got XS 24/7 Standard dots put on my G27 a bit over a week ago. Had 'em on my XD, and I'm sold for life. I also just added AGrips on the Glock. N-I-C-E!!!

I have one as well. Great gun. Not the most compact, but it is still fairly easy to conceal and shoots very well.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links