This is a discussion on Cleaning! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with Cylinder and Slides dunk bucket cleaning method or any other method that cleans ultra sonic?...

Thread: Cleaning!

Does anyone have any experience with Cylinder and Slides dunk bucket cleaning method or any other method that cleans ultra sonic?

It works, but not as well as most people think. It does help get the grime loose but you still have to do a little scrubbing if you want it to be really clean.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For soaking guns, I just use diesel fuel or kerosene. I have done this with my Mossberg 500, Glock 22, and my old Taurus PT-145. It never damages the plastics on the weapons OR the tubs I soak them in. I have a long, narrow tupperware container that I use for my rifles/shotguns and a shorter narrow container for pistols. I field strip, arrange the parts in the tubs, fill with fresh diesel, snap the lids on and leave them outside in the sun for a few hours (until they get nice and hot). I then take off the lids and scrub the parts with a plastic brush and let them soak again for another couple of hours.

edit: The containers were ~$5 US and reusable, and I use on average less than a gallon of diesel in this process.

When it starts to get dark, I take the parts out and clean them as I normally would. You will find a LOT of crud in the tupperware dishes and even more loosened crud on the firearms themselves. I use a clean plastic brush and hot, high pressure water for my polymer stuff and then blow them out with compressed air. For metal stuff, I spray them out with syn. safe Gun Scrubber and then blow those out too.. From there I do a normal cleaning/lubing and discard the used diesel in our fire pit.

Do I do this often? Hell no! Way too much trouble! But if I use a firearm(s) enough over a couple of days and it gets really nasty, I usually go fill up the diesel canister.

I'll die from being outgunned, but I'll never die from lack of shooting back! ;)
    Last edited by Ryan H; May 24th, 2007 at 01:01 AM. Reason: cost of doing this

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links