Need a small/pocket carry pistol. - Page 2

Need a small/pocket carry pistol.

This is a discussion on Need a small/pocket carry pistol. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They're not my EDC's, but I have 3 KelTec's...a .32, a .380, and the 9mm...my favorite of the three is the P-3AT...so small and easy ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    They're not my EDC's, but I have 3 KelTec's...a .32, a .380, and the 9mm...my favorite of the three is the P-3AT...so small and easy to conceal...a great front pocket gun.

KT's are inexpensive, not fancy, not a fun gun to shoot...but mine have always gone BANG! (I trust them.)

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can't fit mine in jeans either, I have a IWB for that. Summer time is all shorts many cargo style, with a pocket holster...no prob.

Also been starting to dress around my pistols.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    You should be able to find a S&W 442/642 for under $400. I seen some people post that they can't pocket carry a J-frame. I don't know why, I pocket carried my 442 for 7 yrs, then pocket carried the Glock 26 (Which was much more noticable). Maybe you have a .357 model, which is a bit longer or you have larger grips.

The Glock 26 & XD9SC are pretty similar in size & wouldn't be the greatest for pocket carry & aren't very thin, if that's what you're looking for.

Personally, I carry a Kahr PM9, but some of the other models aren't as expensive, just as thin, maybe a bit larger & heavier. They are very good guns & can definitely be carried IWB.

The Kel-Tecs aren't bad as long as you understand they're a SD/carry gun, not a range gun. Personally, I prefer my PM9 to any K-T 9mms, but I'd look into the P-3AT & maybe the P-32, but the .380 isn't much larger or heavier. Kel Tecs are fairly inexpensive, too.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Well, I just got back from my local range/gunstore and I have to say that I am very disappointed in the Kel-Tec pistols. I couldn't release the slide from "lock" using the release/lock lever. The magazine release button didn't work very well either. I had to pry it out with my finger nails(which are non-existent)while I mashed the button with my other hand. Then I had to ram it back in so that it would clear the mag release button.

Surprisingly enough the range rental of the P11 worked/functioned better than the case model. Overall though I don't know that I could trust my life to a gun that is so quirky out-of-the-box.

I handled a G27 and noticed that they are really not that much bigger than the p11. The barrel is slightly longer and they are a little wider but not by much. The p11 is still a better "pocket" pistol than the g27 but it wasn't that big--I will have to really consider this as an option. They didn't have an XDSC in the store (just sold the last one) and I really wanna handle one of those again. When I first got my XD service I decided against the sc because it was "too small" and it was my first gun--I thought it would be better for me to get one with a longer barrel (accuracy). I would like to see one/handle one again to see if it would be a more feasible ccw.

One gun that I hadn't even considered was the Walther PPK. I know its a smaller caliber than I wanted to go with but its almost the perfect size for my hand with its mag extension and it would definitely fit nicely in my pocket. Not to mention that it has a safety and a decocker(two features that make me feel better about keeping it in my pocket). Its a little more expensive than I wanted to go but its a pretty slick gun with a good reputation for reliability/accuracy.

Anyone own a PPK?

edit: I also looked at the J frames you guys had suggested. They aren't half bad. They *may* be slightly more noticable in my pocket than a pistol just because of the wheel. The ones they had were around $400. The PPK's were also around that much and carried 2-3 more rounds. Though,a s I said before, I am not a huge fan of revolvers. :shrug:

Go with a S&W 442. I think it is the most popular pocket gun. I carry mine in a Kramer Pocket holster.

I'm 5'10" and 200 so were close in size. I prefer Levi Red Tab Carpenters (no hammer loop) to carry in.

I never had this problem but if your pockets are too small or not deep enough, try taking them to a tailor to make a new deeper one. If your pockets are too tight maybe you need bigger pants.

I have a PPK/S and hate it. It's too heavy for it's size and is a real biter.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

biter?

Biter meaning the slide bites his hand between the thumb and index finger when he fires.

The Bersa's are pretty good, if you want a .380 as your defense caliber (its usually considered about the lowest acceptable). A little heavy for the pocket, but easy for IWB

I pocket a j-frame myself, it works for me when I don't want to carry my 1911.

Some of the polymer framed Kahrs can be found pretty cheap too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ron
    I hate IWB carry. Can not find a holster that is comfortable when standing, sitting, and riding in my car. I pocket carry a S&W 642 easily in cargo or regular shorts or pants. I also pocket carry a Walther P99c, both in Mika pocket holsters. Admittedly, the P99c is heavier then the 642, but I still find it much more comfortable then IWB carry, and I carry it with the 10 round magazine. You should periodicaly clean out the bottom of the holster to remove any pocket lint from the holster, particularly for carrying a semi-automatic, but that's it. and, I am not a big guy.

Ron

"It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Two other guns worth considering when pocket carry is preferable are the Seecamp 32 or 380 and the North American Arms Guardian 32 or 380. I think I've about settled on the Seecamp 32.

Don't own any of them yet, but am probably going to get the Seecamp 32 sometime soon. It's tiny and extremely well made. One of those guns you'll pass on in the family one day, from what I read..

Just something to consider.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Biter meaning the slide bites his hand between the thumb and index finger when he fires.

The Bersa's are pretty good, if you want a .380 as your defense caliber (its usually considered about the lowest acceptable). A little heavy for the pocket, but easy for IWB

I pocket a j-frame myself, it works for me when I don't want to carry my 1911.

Some of the polymer framed Kahrs can be found pretty cheap too.
    .380 is not the caliber of choice. I prefer 9mm+ but carrying a .380 is better than nothing if I have to.

Where are these "pretty cheap" Kahrs? God knows I can't find them. I hear of people finding these really amazing deals on guns but I have only been able to find guns $10-25 under the msrp at local gun stores--sometimes even HIGHER than msrp.

edit: I also just stumbled across Taurus PT111 140's. Are those quality pistols. I can't find measurements for them though. I wanna know about how big they are.

I've got the Bersa .380 Conceal and Carry. Shoots great but

the DA/SA is not friendly to me. JMO

S & W 642 is a dream ! 38 specials are HOT. Easy to carry.

North American Arms Guardian .380 is my ALWAYS PUP.

Slips into any pocket with the holster.

I recommend the Smart Carry rig. Look at the video on

their site. www.smartcarry.com
    -Tin Bender-

"Forgive your enemies , but never forget their names."
    ----J.F.K.----

R9

I used carry my Beretta 8000F Model L IWB and did that intermittently mostly due to size. It still remains one of my favorite guns. But I also do not like IWB carry in general.

I recently picked up a Rohrbaugh R9 which I now carry all the time in my pocket. Here are a couple of good links:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/index.htm
    http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/

The problem is cost, I happened to get mine used from a person who bought new so it was a FTF. You can pick them up on Gunbroker or the Rohrbaugh Forum sometimes for a bargin. It likes Speer 124gr GDHP Ammo and I absolutely love it. Has the 9mm round in the size of pocket pistol. Its a little quirky, and not for the novice firearm CCW, but I highly recommended it.
    A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

CCW: Dan Wesson CBOB ~ Springfield Micro Compact ~ Rohrbaugh R9 Elite ~ S&W 442 ~ Cougar 8000 Model L

Hey kavity,

In regards to the Walther PPK (cool pistol), do a search in here on it. A couple weeks ago I asked the same question and recieved alot of helpful feedback.

I still want to get one of those some day.

As far as carry compared to range guns go...I enjoy shooting my 38 alot. It is fun and amazingly accurate for such a small barrel. Plinking with white box is a piece of cake. +P in 125gr Speer GoldDot is still super easy. The 158gr LSWCHP is wilder but still tame compared to 357's

Thanks for the tip Zero. That was a pretty good thread. I think I am gonna get a PPK.

Can it shoot +P or +P+ rounds by any chance?

I dont know if it can. It aint plastic so I would think...but I wont say yes unless I know for sure.

Others in here that own them should be able to answer.

Was it really that easy to stick in your pocket?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links