Need a small/pocket carry pistol. - Page 3

Need a small/pocket carry pistol.

This is a discussion on Need a small/pocket carry pistol. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walther P99c/AS.... 10+1 w/ability to accept 15/16 mags of larger P99/AS.. More accuracy out of the box than you'll ever be capable of using.... Absolutely ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Walther P99c/AS.... 10+1 w/ability to accept 15/16 mags of larger P99/AS..

More accuracy out of the box than you'll ever be capable of using.... Absolutely reliable, and sweetest trigger/striker you've ever seen....
    Hard to find, worth the search...

J. Pomeroy

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I dont know if it can. It aint plastic so I would think...but I wont say yes unless I know for sure.

Others in here that own them should be able to answer.

Was it really that easy to stick in your pocket?

Very easy :)

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    .380 is not the caliber of choice. I prefer 9mm+ but carrying a .380 is better than nothing if I have to.

Where are these "pretty cheap" Kahrs? God knows I can't find them. I hear of people finding these really amazing deals on guns but I have only been able to find guns $10-25 under the msrp at local gun stores--sometimes even HIGHER than msrp.

edit: I also just stumbled across Taurus PT111 140's. Are those quality pistols. I can't find measurements for them though. I wanna know about how big they are.
    As far as the cheap Kahr's its only some of the models, and I don't think they are for pocket carry, although they aren't big. Like right now the local gun shop here has a CW40 for $399.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I messaged you kavity, good luck and let me know how it works out.

I owned a PPK/S; hated it; traded it in on a XD9. That I like.

Michael
    America. The land of the free because of the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex32Cal View Post
    I owned a PPK/S; hated it; traded it in on a XD9. That I like.

Michael
    What was it that you hated?

kavity,

I know you said you don't like revolvers, and I'm not a huge revolver fan myself.. but see if you can't go handle a Ruger SP101 snub nose. Mine is the snubby .357 magnum and it has FAR greater accuracy than any pocket automatic I've ever shot. At 25 yards you can still make an on-target hit. Try that with a P3AT, I don't see it happening. Its very small as it is a 5 shot, and fits in any pocket of mine just fine. I'm 5' 7" and 140 lbs. Its also a revolver so it is inherently more reliable, and the .357 magnum can change someone's mind pretty quick.

Personally I'm a .45, .40 and 10mm guy, but the .357 magnum in a revolver will always hold a special place in my heart. :) I'm currently looking for another SP101 with a 4" barrel. My uncle has one and I wanna buy it, because Ruger no longer lists it on their website. I've shot it and well, I just want one. :)

I have a ppk/s and it is a great ccw. Most of the problems people describe are from the old interarms models. Using a pocket holster it is easy to conceal in my rear jeans pockets (link below). It has a fixed versus floating barrel making it very accurate and ammo tolerant. The longer tangs in the /s model prevents the biting/cutting and it's a very tight piece, unlike the Keltecs and bersas. It is a piece you'll be proud to give to your grandchildren.

It comes from the factory with a coating, some kinda packing grease, so it needs to be broken in (100+ rounds), cleaned well and lightly oiled. Then it will fire like gold...

http://www.pocketholsters.com/Walthe...t_holster.html

Quote Originally Posted by Judgew7 View Post
    I have a ppk/s and it is a great ccw. Most of the problems people describe are from the old interarms models. Using a pocket holster it is easy to conceal in my rear jeans pockets (link below). It has a fixed versus floating barrel making it very accurate and ammo tolerant. The longer tangs in the /s model prevents the biting/cutting and it's a very tight piece, unlike the Keltecs and bersas. It is a piece you'll be proud to give to your grandchildren.

It comes from the factory with a coating, some kinda packing grease, so it needs to be broken in (100+ rounds), cleaned well and lightly oiled. Then it will fire like gold...

http://www.pocketholsters.com/Walthe...t_holster.html

Thanks for the review. If I get one I may have to get that holster. Thats pretty sweet.
    Can it shoot +P ammo?

edit: How do I make sure Im not getting an "Interarms" PPK/S if I end up going 'used'?
    Last edited by kavity; May 24th, 2007 at 07:12 PM.

Don't give up on a Kahr, I just found a used MK40 for $449, I live 8 min's from Cabala's where I found it and the range is even closer (when I don't shoot across the road from my house) I don't know for a fact but I'd be surprised if it had 100 rounds through it.

Went home, disassembled, cleaned & wiped it down with a Rem oil wipe, either its still so tight the barrel is hard to remove from the slide or that's just the way they are.

Anyway, only had time for 4 clips of Wally world Winchester white box target rounds and 2 clips of Winchester ranger 155 gr JHP but it ate them right up. I know that's way to few rounds to make a final judgement but its a good sign. It make's a good add to my full size S&W M&P 40.

BTW: My WV Concealed carry license came in the mail today (my first) after I put in the paperwork last Friday, Ohio county doesn't waste time.

Color me Happy

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    As far as the cheap Kahr's its only some of the models, and I don't think they are for pocket carry, although they aren't big. Like right now the local gun shop here has a CW40 for $399.

Wow. The cheapest around here is like $699 :(. What can you get a PPK/S for around those parts?

Sounds like you have some shops there that like to price gouge. I would be checking www.gunbroker.com instead, or see if any particular shop can price match until you can get the price down to a reasonable level.

By no means am I saying to nickel and dime them, but at least get it down to a price that other people get the luxury of paying for one.

You can use +P rounds. That's my normal D carry. However, for target I reload a lower round.

The ppk/s has a longer tang. S&W has been making them for several years, if you buy new, it'll be a S&W, you can look at the warranty card/ask the dealer for confirmation. I got mine for 479. There are also pics on the board of the old interarms models and the new /s with the longer tang.

Hope that helps.

Here is a pic of the interarms, note the small tang - the part that protects the web of the thumb from the slide.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=72576903

Here is a pic of the Smith /s:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...m=72305081#PIC

Hope that helps also.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Kavity,

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about concealing your 4" XD that is so difficult? How do you wear it, i.e., what holster do you use, and do you use a nice sturdy belt? I ask, because I carry my 4" XD .40 every day, and my daily dress is similar to you - khakis or cargos, cargo shorts with a belt, tucked in t-shirt/untucked collared shirt. I've yet to have any concealment problems other than strong winds blowing open the cover shirt.

Can you put on your gun and gear, conceal it as you normally do, and have someone take photos? Sometimes since you are so acutely aware of something, you exaggerate the severity of a problem in your mind, when to an outside observer, it's nigh imperceptible.

Here's an example of a well concealed XD:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...42&postcount=4
    Last edited by Chooie; May 24th, 2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Link

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links