Need a small/pocket carry pistol.

This is a discussion on Need a small/pocket carry pistol. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not a small guy by any means: 5'11" 210lbs ..but I find it hard to conceal my XD9 service in the clothes that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a small/pocket carry pistol.

Need a small/pocket carry pistol.

I am not a small guy by any means:
    5'11"
    210lbs

..but I find it hard to conceal my XD9 service in the clothes that I wear in the summer(winter clothes should be easy). I typically wear clothes that, you know, fit. I don't wear alot of baggy clothes. I wear jeans and button up shirts un-tucked as well as shorts in the same fashion (mostly collared shirts). Even with the shirts untucked its hard to conceal that gun.

So, I would like to get a small 9mm+ pocket carry/ultra small pistol. The XDSC would be an option but it isn't THAT much smaller than the service model. I was looking at some kahr's but they are kinda pricey $700-ish (and I am a college student :( ).

Then I stumbled across the KelTec P11 and PF9. Not only are they inexpensive, they are incredibly small. ARe these guns reliable/accurate/worth it?

I love the idea of pocket carrying because I wear cargo style shorts alot in the summer so it wouldn't be hard to conceal. I also think that I would carry more often if I had a small enough gun to make it feasible.

I am open for thoughts, opinions, and suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Kel-tecs are a great choice, and you can pocket carry the PF-9 or the P-11 in cargo shorts, they're a little to big for most jeans but cargo's should be fine. As for reliability, just like any other guns you have to make sure your individual gun is reliable for you, I've had no problems with my Kel-Tecs even the PF-9 which is a very recent design. But the good news about KT is they are lifetime warranteed and have great customer service, if you end up having a problem you can send it back to them and they will make it right. However the Kel-tecs have an extremely long and moderately heavy trigger pull, you will never brag about the trigger on these guns, just be aware.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    As far as pocket carry goes, I have a P11. Picture yourself carrying a Bible in your pocket. That's what P11 pocket carry reminds me of. I can't stand it.

However, the P11 is small enough that with low ride IWB holster, it's real easy to hide. I also recommend a snubby revolver. Once again a low ride holster will only leave the grip riding above your waistband. If you know the grip size of a snubby, that isn't much. Throw a speedstrip into a pocket and off you go. On the snubby, I do recommend at least a 20 degree cant.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Is a Bersa a good gun? I was browsing some of the threads and heard it mentioned.

Not into J frames? They are pocket friendly.

I carry a PF9 in a pocket holder often, it works well with jeans, and dress pants and shorts. If you want a 9 mm, it would be my suggestion.

FMC

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    But the good news about KT is they are lifetime warranteed and have great customer service, if you end up having a problem you can send it back to them and they will make it right.
    That is, if it doesn't fail on you when you really need it, and you aren't six feet under. Kel-Tecs are prone to breakage. Period. After all, why would everyone who owns one brag about their super-fast customer service. There must be an awful lot of Kel-Tecs sent back to the factory for them to have such a well-known reputation for good customer service. Seems to me that I'd rather have a RELIABLE pistol that never NEEDS customer service. Nobody brags about Glock customer service because it's rarely used.

Get yourself a Glock 26 or a Smith J frame and live happily ever after.

My $.02

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Kavity,

There is thread already established on the Kel-Tec 9's. I have one for summer/suit carry and it's a tough gun to love...until you get to the price. I have over 300 rounds through mine with both range ammo (even re-loads!) and man-stoppers and have had three jams and no mechanical issues. the jams were attributed to a dry gun (they are very thirsty and require lube at regular intervals at the range).
    I'm not Glock fan but I agree with Metro 40 on the recommedation of a j-frame.

What guns do you own Metro?

Also, I am not a fan of revolvers. I dunno why, but I just don't like them. :shrug: Plus the J-frames you guys are talking about are as expensive as the Kahr's.

Heck Just get a G27. It's small and packs alot of Punch.. Myself I carry a Kel-Tec 380 when I dont have my G23 on me.
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

I got my 442 for 350. I hear they have gone up but thats a lot less than a Kahr.

People have their own ideas about 38/357s. Mines just a 38...love it and trust it.

And yet strange enough I am shopping for a semi with more power. Go figure. Must be the 45 I wear all the other times..dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Is a Bersa a good gun? I was browsing some of the threads and heard it mentioned.
    I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that I pocket carry occasionally. I like it, it's great for the price, and the trigger pull is actually pretty good for DA/SA. Here are a couple of good reviews of it:

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_...bersa_thunder/

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I got my 442 for 350. I hear they have gone up but thats a lot less than a Kahr.

People have their own ideas about 38/357s. Mines just a 38...love it and trust it.

And yet strange enough I am shopping for a semi with more power. Go figure. Must be the 45 I wear all the other times..dunno.
    As stated above, it isn't uncommon for an airweight J frame to cost around $350 or less. Search the site for articles on j frames. You will be surprised how many people carry one. It is a great pocket gun.

whw

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    +1000 on the Kel-Tek. I absolutely love mine (although I carry the P3AT), and it's been a super workhorse.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I've never been able to stuff a J-frame in my pocket very well, but I'm 5'9" and 145lbs, my pockets are probably a bit small. I could pull it off with some cargo's, but I'm a Jeans guy. It's even a little to tight of a fit with my P-32 in a regular pair of wranglers.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links