Big Bore Revolvers For Carry - Your Opinions Please - Page 2

Big Bore Revolvers For Carry - Your Opinions Please

This is a discussion on Big Bore Revolvers For Carry - Your Opinions Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use a Rossi 720 44 special with a 3 inch barrel for a car gun. I use Corbon DPX in it. From the tests ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Revolvers For Carry - Your Opinions Please

I use a Rossi 720 44 special with a 3 inch barrel for a car gun. I use Corbon DPX in it. From the tests I have seen report, DPX has pretty good velocity, penetration and mushrooming. I also use a Wilderness safepacker for a holster. All in all, I feel very comfortable with this package.

Taurus 4410

Think 4410 is the model # of a Taurus in.45 Colt that also shoots shot. Weird but it's gotten good press and popular following. Check their site, think it's on home-page, nick-name is "The Judge". I held one, very light. 2" barrel but the cylinder is longer to accomodate the shot shells.

My EDC is a 4" .45 ACP Revolver.

I think you lose too much velocity and power when you shorten the barrel. I love my wheelie, don't want to carry anything else.

The Moonclips in a 45 ACP Revolver give you the fastest wheelgun reload available. The recoil of the .357 in a "Snubbie" is not something that I equate with pleasure. Today's loads, in various calibers, come close to the effectiveness of the .357 Magnum with considerably less recoil and muzzle blast. Therefore I try to find a caliber I like that gets close to the effectiveness of the .357 Magnum, without the recoil and muzzle blast.

To me, "Big Bore" is where it's at and I would be happy with a 44 Special, 45 ACP or 45 Colt Wheelie. The world is round, so are my guns.

Biker

I once read an account of a State Trooper who died shooting his .44 mag in a gunfight. The problem was that for every shot he fired, the other guy pumped 2-3 more rounds of his small stuff into the Trooper while the Trooper was trying to recover from the recoil and bring his gun back down.

Don't kid yourself. Large recoil can allow a guy with a Bersa .380 to dang near empty a full mag into you.

Even with a .45, you better dang well practice ripping that gun down and back on the target in minimal time, especially using 230 grain jobbers such as I use.

44spl bullets may not expand but will never be under .429.
    Older model C/A revolvers are great, I own 3;customer service was also great. Carry a 3" now in my first made to order holster. I shoot 200gr rounds since they are more readily available and easier on the hands than 180's. Great deals to be had on ammo on gunbroker and auction arms.

I once read an account of a State Trooper who died shooting his .44 mag in a gunfight. The problem was that for every shot he fired, the other guy pumped 2-3 more rounds of his small stuff into the Trooper while the Trooper was trying to recover from the recoil and bring his gun back down.
    Don't kid yourself. Large recoil can allow a guy with a Bersa .380 to dang near empty a full mag into you.
    I would think this would not be applicable if the .44 mag rounds were hitting the guy with the Bersa. They might have disturbed his aim.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I would think this would not be applicable if the .44 mag rounds were hitting the guy with the Bersa. They might have disturbed his aim.
    In "real life" people don't respond to being shot like they do in the movies and ANY handgun is marginal at best as a "Defensive Weapon".

I carry a handgun or two because I can't conceal my Shotgun or .223 Rifle. That is what I will be fighting my way to if I get involved in an "Off-Duty" shooting. The Shotgun/Rifle may be at home if/when I get involved in an "Off-Duty" shooting, but I will be fighting to return home to then for better armament. So in a sense I am "Fighting my way to my longarm, that I never should've left behind in the first place."

Biker

Late to the post but why not i have a 3" 629 carry comp i carry sometimes if i could find a little better holster i might carry it more

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    The Trooper's bullets did hit the guy, but they weren't killing shots.

It wasn't a Bersa the guy was using. It was a .22 pistol. He survived. The Trooper didn't.

I carry a 629 3 inch on occasion. Steve48

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    The Trooper's bullets did hit the guy, but they weren't killing shots.

It wasn't a Bersa the guy was using. It was a .22 pistol. He survived. The Trooper didn't.
    I saw the video of this shooting. The Trooper was from South Carolina and he placed 5 of 6 .357 rounds in the bad guy's upper torso. One .22 round hit the Trooper in the arm, glanced off the bone, traveled through his chest and severed his aorta. He died within a few seconds.

The bad guy did in fact live. One of the most sickening things I have ever seen. It reminded me of an article written by Stepehen Camp entitled, "Have not faith in your handgun or ammunition."

whw

Quote Originally Posted by whw View Post
    I saw the video of this shooting. The Trooper was from South Carolina and he placed 5 of 6 .357 rounds in the bad guy's upper torso. One .22 round hit the Trooper in the arm, glanced off the bone, traveled through his chest and severed his aorta. He died within a few seconds.

The bad guy did in fact live. One of the most sickening things I have ever seen. It reminded me of an article written by Stepehen Camp entitled, "Have not faith in your handgun or ammunition."

whw
    I know the one you are speaking of, but the one I'm referring to happened over 40 - 45 years ago. If was in one of the Gun Digests of the time.

Just proves again, you cannot let the other guy get in 2-3 shots for each one of your own.

22s are murderous if placed right. I'm actually thinking of getting myself one of those tiny North American Arms 22mag pistols. There just might be some places even my PT 380 might be spotted. If in the hospital again, or some similar type of situation, I could wear around my neck a good luck "medicine" bag charm containing strange symbols. Inside would be the that little 22mag S/A devil.

I feel VERY uptight when in a "gun free" zone.

I have one of the Taurus .44 mag. 2 1/2" snubs, but I don't usually carry it for a CCW. I got mine for backpacking in bear country. It does the trick for CC, but I put .44 specials in rather than magnums. It is very easy to shoot and very controllable with specials. I carry it concealed on my way to and from my backpacking destination, because I do not want to leave guns in my car at the trailhead unattended when I am backpacking for days at a time. I carry it with specials in a holster, then put in magnums and put it in a fanny pack when I get to the park. I also have a Taurus 85 .38 snub that has nearly as much recoil as the .44 loaded with specials and does not make as big of a hole. The .44 is ported and has a liitle bigger/heavier frame.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I know the one you are speaking of, but the one I'm referring to happened over 40 - 45 years ago. If was in one of the Gun Digests of the time.

Just proves again, you cannot let the other guy get in 2-3 shots for each one of your own.

22s are murderous if placed right. I'm actually thinking of getting myself one of those tiny North American Arms 22mag pistols. There just might be some places even my PT 380 might be spotted. If in the hospital again, or some similar type of situation, I could wear around my neck a good luck "medicine" bag charm containing strange symbols. Inside would be the that little 22mag S/A devil.

I feel VERY uptight when in a "gun free" zone.

I've considered the same gun for the exact same scenario you described. I think it is a prudent action.

Quote Originally Posted by whw View Post
    I've considered the same gun for the exact same scenario you described. I think it is a prudent action.
    Impactguns.com has the magnum version for about $175. I saw the same gun last week at a dealer for $250. They tell us to support our local dealers. So far all the dealers I know are overly greedy, and carry only the cheapest gun supplies on which they make the most profit. Patches, ammo, gun cleaner, etc., I have to order from Midway because I can never find the better stuff locally.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links