Tell me about your Kimber Tactical Custom II

This is a discussion on Tell me about your Kimber Tactical Custom II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm coveting a 1911, and the local shop has a Kimber Tactical Custom II for $1164. It seems like a great gun. Really nice trigger. ...

Thread: Tell me about your Kimber Tactical Custom II

I'm coveting a 1911, and the local shop has a Kimber Tactical Custom II for $1164. It seems like a great gun. Really nice trigger. Exeptionally tight fittage. Very clean workmanship.

Does anyone here have one? What can you tell me. (Please limit comments to the Tactical Custom II).

Thanks all.

I had one and it never gave me any trouble after thousands of rounds, but I traded it off. I think you would be happy with it if you are looking for a light weight full size gun. It is one of the few guns I let go I wish I had kept...

I've got one and it's probably my favorite 1911 that I own. I have a custom colt combat commander with all the bell's ~n~ whistles on it and my tactical walk's on it in performance. In fact, my colt's ejector broke in a training class and I had it and the tactical that had exactly zero rounds through it.

I had to hard break the gun in without testing it previously. I don't know if I got the best one kimber made or if I just got lucky and got a good one but the gun was hand's down better than my custom colt was in the class.

The gun was perfect through about 300 rds in the class, the trigger was crisp and clean, I was more accurate with it than I was with the colt, I scored better hit's with instinctive shooting and it was like I had shot the gun my whole life. I noticed right away the difference between it and the colt and now my custom $1,800.00 + colt is my tac pro's back up. In defense of the colt, it is a 93 model but was completely customized by don williams/marty caldwell and novak just a few years ago and the tac pro walked all over it in performance for me.

Like I said, I could have gotten "the one" with the tac pro I don't really know because it is the only one Iíve shot but it is better by far then my kimber ultra cdp as well. I really don't think you can go wrong with it, the only thing I am finding I dislike about it is the slide finish but it's not to bad and a very small price to pay for the performance I get from the gun.

Sorry for the long read but thought I should bring that to the table to aid in your decision.

Here's a pick,

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

JD
    Administrator
    I think $1164 is too high of a price, I'd try to widdle it down to $1000out the door with tax and background check included.

Just my .02, I've been wanting a Kimber Tactical Pro for a while now, but I refuse to pay that much for a pistol unless it's from a custom only manufacturer.

Actually you are right, I didn't even catch the price. I have seen them from $945.00 - $985.00. $1164.00 is high IMO, you can do better than that.

ableammo.com has them for $982.00 shipped. check around, it could be just your area is high on gun's.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/defa...sort=3a&page=2

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

This is an excellent weapon, It even makes breakfast. I used it for semi-auto qualification to get my instructors certification to become a Texas CHL Instructor. I bought mine used for $675 about two years ago. The weapon fires so well and accurately that when I am at the range with an inexperienced person I let them fire it to get their confidence up. "See! You can shoot!", I tell them.

I have two things against it though. One is the slide wear. How can you spend so much money on a weapon and the finish on the slide wears so quickly? Another thing is the Metal Injected Molding (MIM) parts used for the slide stop and ambidextrous safety. Once on the range I was showing a friend my (at the time) carry weapon, the Kimber Tac Pro. I unholstered it from concealment and it feel apart in my hand. It was embarrassing. The ambidextrous safety broke and everything from behind the trigger was in my hands. Kimber replaced it but it took 7 weeks.

I still love the weapon and use it as my car weapon, I carry Sig 225 as my primary though.

El

"Si vis pacem, para bellum "
    Trsltn: "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Never had a problem with an MIM part on a Kimber. Buying one used you don't know how it was treated or if it was dropped that could have caused the issue later on. Forged parts break too, in fact the only part i have had break was a forged colt piece. If MIM is done correctly it is good and keep's the cost down.

Ti

I fired my brother's Tac Custom II several times and liked it. I got the 3" version, the Tactical Ultra II, for myself and I love it. Very accurate and reliable with over 2400 rounds . I agree about the slide wear but I bought mine for carry, not as a showpiece, so it doesn't bother me.
    The fact that you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Have one, carry it all the time, love it.

Price is absurd!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I purchased a Tactical Custom II in Sept '05 for $880. It required a significant break-in period, so don't expect out-of-the-box perfection. Mine now functions with 100% reliability. It's a very light weight gun and is extremely accurate. I've got about 1000 rds thru mine and I'm a happy camper.

I am also not a fan of Kimbers MIM parts; most/all 1911 manufactures use them. I do not trust the use of them on critical parts like the sear.

That said, if I find a series 1 (yes I know there is no actual 'Series 1), but if I find an older pistol with the internal extractor, I would snatch it up.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Sponsored Links