My first handgun/CCW - Page 2

My first handgun/CCW

This is a discussion on My first handgun/CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's a bunch of great advice above, I won't bother repeating it. My brother has a P220 and it's a great gun, I can shoot ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first handgun/CCW

There's a bunch of great advice above, I won't bother repeating it. My brother has a P220 and it's a great gun, I can shoot it just as well as my 1911 once I get used to the different trigger pull again. BTW you can get good CCI Blazer Brass.45 ammo at Wal-Mart for $11 a box in my neck of the woods. It beats the heck out of Wolf for the same money.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Scott - you are hereby ordered to become a gunslut. Shoot every stlye gun you can get your hands on.

I have no negative comments on the 220 - and I love my 239, but you need to be sure about how the gun feels in your hand.

Once I made the mistake of buying a gun on it's statistics only - but that is a mistake I made ONLY ONCE !
    Don't you mean twice......FIRST time and LAST!!!

That use to be one of my grandpa's favorite quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Regular DA/SA is when you can carry the gun with the hammer down, pull the trigger which also cocks the hammer = DA, and your follow up shots are SA, as the slide is cocking the hammer.

I do not like DA/SA guns as the two trigger pulls are different and I like a more consistant trigger pull, I prefer SAO, but DAO is a close second. your looking at a 8-10 lbs trigger pull on the DA portion, and a 5 lbs pull on the SA portion, that's a big difference which means you know have 2 trigger pulls to get used to.
    First, thanks for all of the responses, I hope I can find someone local that has a few different hand guns I can put a few rounds though, with the cost of range time, rental, and rounds, it could get quite expensive. The guy here wants 15 for the gun, a box of .45 cost about 16 bucks, then 10 for the range. Most likely I'll want to shoot more then 50 rounds, and more then one gun!

A question about the above info, can't you carry a SA/DA either way? I mean, cant you have it cocked and locked, or leave the hammer down for a DA first pull? The P220 has a thumb safty, so I figured I could do either, and the DA on the first pull would keep my nerves from taking over in a real life situation, after the first one is off, the rest "if necessary" will be SA. If i want do some target shooting can't i just cock the gun and have it SA from the get go?

Thanks again everyone!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post

A question about the above info, can't you carry a SA/DA either way? I mean, cant you have it cocked and locked, or leave the hammer down for a DA first pull? The P220 has a thumb safty, so I figured I could do either, and the DA on the first pull would keep my nerves from taking over in a real life situation, after the first one is off, the rest "if necessary" will be SA. If i want do some target shooting can't i just cock the gun and have it SA from the get go?

Thanks again everyone!
    Close but no cigar:

The regular DA/SA has no safety, just a decocker. This means that the decocker will not prevent the gun from firing, only return the hammer to the down position safely without the risk of touching off a shot.

The DAK has no safety and no decoker, pulll the trigger and after the slide cycles the hammer falls to the down position untill the next pull of the trigger.

The SAO has a thumb safety and no decocker, in order to fire, the hammer must be cocked, then the thumb safety must be depressed, then the trigger pulled for the gun to fire. In order to bring the hammer down SAFELY without the risk of negligent discharge the magazine must be removed and the chamber emptied prior to lowering the hammer. If the chamber is loaded and you lower the hammer and it slips, you may ignite the round.

With some DA/SA models you have a safety which also serves as a decocker, like the Beretta 92FS/M9, when you have a gun like that, you can carry hammer down, safety off and still be safe (in theroy, I do not advocate carrying a firearm with a safety off if a safety is presant). To carry a Sig 220 SA/DA with the hammer cocked is a big no no, you are essentially capaple of having the gun go off with only 5lbs of pull, this is why DA only guns have a heavier trigger pull, to prevent negligent discharges.

For range use or if time permits, you can cock the hammer manually for the lighter trigger pull, but in a life or death situation, I'd just stick with the normal DA trigger. Too many times police have cocked the hammer only to have a negligent discharge.

Look at the Kahr p45. Small enough for the pocket but still .45. It's DAO but I think 6-8 lb trigger every time,

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Close but no cigar:

The regular DA/SA has no safety, just a decocker. This means that the decocker will not prevent the gun from firing, only return the hammer to the down position safely without the risk of touching off a shot.

The DAK has no safety and no decoker, pulll the trigger and after the slide cycles the hammer falls to the down position untill the next pull of the trigger.

The SAO has a thumb safety and no decocker, in order to fire, the hammer must be cocked, then the thumb safety must be depressed, then the trigger pulled for the gun to fire. In order to bring the hammer down SAFELY without the risk of negligent discharge the magazine must be removed and the chamber emptied prior to lowering the hammer. If the chamber is loaded and you lower the hammer and it slips, you may ignite the round.

With some DA/SA models you have a safety which also serves as a decocker, like the Beretta 92FS/M9, when you have a gun like that, you can carry hammer down, safety off and still be safe (in theroy, I do not advocate carrying a firearm with a safety off if a safety is presant). To carry a Sig 220 SA/DA with the hammer cocked is a big no no, you are essentially capaple of having the gun go off with only 5lbs of pull, this is why DA only guns have a heavier trigger pull, to prevent negligent discharges.

For range use or if time permits, you can cock the hammer manually for the lighter trigger pull, but in a life or death situation, I'd just stick with the normal DA trigger. Too many times police have cocked the hammer only to have a negligent discharge.
    Ok, by the way I owned a Beretta 92FS for a short time, only shot a few clips and sold it, but I couldn't remember anything about the operation of it. So the way I understand it is:

The only action in the sig that has a thumb safety is the SAO.

The SA/DA should be carried decocked so that the first pull is a 10lbs DA pull, and the rest are of course cocked with about a 5lbs SA pull. Does this mean there is no safety? Just the initial heavy pull of 10lbs?

The DAK is the same way, no safety with about a 7.5lbs pull on each and every round, with double strike capability.

The SAO has to be carried cocked and locked, and does not have a decocker.

To tell you the truth the SAO has me a bit worried, seems to be the easiest way for a new guy to have a ND. Now I know I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but you could always carry the DAK or DA/SA without one in the chamber, and have to rack the slide when time comes to use it. Anyways I know thats not being properly prepared, but just looking at all the options, having a gun without a safety kinda scares the sh*t out of me. I assume they have a drop safety correct? Of the three the DA/SA appeals to me the most.

I will take everyones advice and shoot everything I can get my hands on prior to making a purchase, especially a 1k gun. Thanks so much for taking the time to help out a newbie!

Scott

JD
    Administrator

Lightbulb

The only action in the sig that has a thumb safety is the SAO.
    Correct

The SA/DA should be carried decocked so that the first pull is a 10lbs DA pull, and the rest are of course cocked with about a 5lbs SA pull. Does this mean there is no safety? Just the initial heavy pull of 10lbs?
    Also correct, no safety, just a decocker

The DAK is the same way, no safety with about a 7.5lbs pull on each and every round, with double strike capability.
    Yes

The SAO has to be carried cocked and locked, and does not have a decocker.

To tell you the truth the SAO has me a bit worried, seems to be the easiest way for a new guy to have a ND.
    Not a problem, that's why there are different trigger types out there,
    different strokes for different folks.

Now I know I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but you could always carry the DAK or DA/SA without one in the chamber, and have to rack the slide when time comes to use it.

Oh yeah, condidtion 3 (carry on an empty chameber) is no way to go, the odds of having enough time to chamber a round in a fight is almost 1000 to 1. Do a search here and you can find the reasons why condition 3 is bad.

Anyways I know thats not being properly prepared, but just looking at all the options, having a gun without a safety kinda scares the sh*t out of me. I assume they have a drop safety correct? Of the three the DA/SA appeals to me the most.

If it bothers you that much, don't buy a Sig, buy something with a safety/decocker, not just one or the other. By drop safety do you mean a firing pin safety that prevents the firing pin from moving if dropped? Honestly I'm not sure about that, personally I find that safety to be improper, I've "drop tested" cocked and locked guns with no FPS before and never had a problem.

I will take everyones advice and shoot everything I can get my hands on prior to making a purchase, especially a 1k gun. Thanks so much for taking the time to help out a newbie!

Scott
    That's what this forum is here for, passing out information to those looking for it, glad we all could help.

Great, I think I know what I'm looking at now. Also, the DAK has two different rest points for the subsequent trigger pull, everyone that I have seen post about it, likes it. Anyone have a DAK in here? Thanks again.

Scott

Yeah, what they said.

I, too, became enamored with the ability to defend myself and loved ones. I already had a whole bunch of guns that were itching to be carried. I wanted a SIG 229R, then 239, then H&K P2SK, then...

I didn't do much homework and ended up with a whole box of unneeded holsters, belts, pouches and lights. Then I found this place

Try to shoot as many pistols as you can rent. Then decide objectively. If not, buy 'em all-let your creditors decide!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links