My first handgun/CCW

My first handgun/CCW

This is a discussion on My first handgun/CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm new to the forum, and just recently moved to OK, were I can enjoy my right to CC. I've never put more then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first handgun/CCW

My first handgun/CCW

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and just recently moved to OK, were I can enjoy my right to CC. I've never put more then a 100 rounds through a hand gun, being from IL/WI they were pretty useless to me.

I have done a ton of research on the web, and have my heart set on a Sig 220. I have not seen much in the way of bad comments about this pistol, most everything has been good. I have a few thoughts about this gun and CC in general and was hoping others would give their opinions.

Type of action, single, double, SA/DA, and their new DAK. With a SA/DA do I get the best of both worlds? Is DAK just a DAO with a lighter and shorter trigger pull? Don't be afraid to break this down into "Handguns for Dummies"

Regardless of the fact that I will most likely have my license prior to getting the gun, or around the same time, I don't want to carry it till I have many rounds though it and I am very comfortable with its operation, thoughts?

Ways to carry a full size pistol, I'd like a IWB that will work in the front or on my back. I would also like a shoulder holster for winter, when I'll be wearing a coat a lot. Any tips, I sit low in a sports car. I don't want to feel like I'm going to poke the family jewels, do they make holsters that are IWB were the gun sits up a little higher?

I took the price of ammo into consideration and saw that I can get target ammo for 45 acp for about 11-12 dollars a box of 50, wolf brand, online. I am willing to spend that much for practice, it was only a dollar to 3 dollars more then 9mm and 40sw, are these cheap rounds ok?

Thanks for your help, I now some of these questions have been asked before, I wanted to get more specific to my needs and couldn't find anything on the different actions that did not assume you already knew something, thanks for your patience and understanding.

Scott

I can not help you much since I usually carry a Keltec 3at. I have a dozen hand guns and once I carried it I put everything else up.

You will happy with a P220, but I advise you at least shoot or handle one before buying. I've shot several 220's and they were all great guns, but they do have a large frame which can make concealment harder.

The P220 in .45 has very manageable recoil and the rounds aren't all that expensive.. but like i said, different strokes for different folks. If you don't have much experience, try to find a gun range near you that rents guns so you can get a grasp of several different calibers to see whats best for you. Don't put all your eggs in one basket!

Have you shot the Sig 220? Yes it is a good gun but try not to get your heart set on 1 brand or model till you have had a little trigger time. Go to the range and rent a few differnt sizes and types, you may find you love it more or you were about to make a big mistake. Not familiar with DAK, I do know that if the worst was to happen and you do shoot someone one day it is best you have a DA only trigger, factory ammo, and an unmodified weapon when it comes time to go to court. Being truthful I carry a 1911 part of the time and a j frame the rest. In holsters I use a belt holster part of time and a Crossbreed the rest for both guns. I like this holster because it distributes the weight over a greater area and is adjustable in height and cant. I can carry an officer frame 1911 with a loose t shirt and it is tuckable. I use a shoulder holster very little and only for the j frame, this is a personal preference thing, some love them some hate them. I cannot emphasize enough to get the gun and try the different types of holsters at your local shop to see what you like. As to wolf ammo the only thing I will say is "not in my gun". I found it to be extremely dirty and did not feed worth a dam.
    Hope this helps, Jim

+1 on trying as many different guns as you can. Don't leave out the 1911 model it has a distinct feel and carries well.
    Best of luck and enjoy your search. Holsters are incredibly personal and only you will be able to know what's right for you. This may require buying several.

Cool Sig 220

I agree with Jimbo 2 on the Wolf ammo. It is a filthy ammo. I will not use it in any of my weapons.
    I have carried a Sig 220 for years. I love it. When I started carrying it I was 5'10" and weighed 350. Having lost considerable weight I still carry it. I carry in a Cop II OWB holster, which also works for my Sig 226. You can't go wrong with a Sig, unless it just doesn't fit your hands. Shoot many different weapons, find the one that makes you go OOOOOHHHH, this is nice. Then that is the one for you.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

VIP Member
    Welcome! The SIG P-220 is a great gun and I'll bet you love it.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

JD
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post

Type of action, single, double, SA/DA, and their new DAK. With a SA/DA do I get the best of both worlds? Is DAK just a DAO with a lighter and shorter trigger pull? Don't be afraid to break this down into "Handguns for Dummies"

Well type of action all depends on what your familiar with, being new to handguns, you probably don't know which you will like better, and I would suggest going with the DAK (your asumptions are pretty accurate) the DAK also allows double strike capability if I am not maistaken, this means that if you can pull the trigger twice if the first strike of the hammer doesn't do the job, without having to cycle the slide, this does not appeal to me due to the fact that if I have a misfire I am not going to bother trying to ignite a dud round for a second time, I'm cycling the slide.

SAO is like a 1911, the trigger will just release the hammer, you carry the gun with the hammer cocked with the thumb safety on.

Regular DA/SA is when you can carry the gun with the hammer down, pull the trigger which also cocks the hammer = DA, and your follow up shots are SA, as the slide is cocking the hammer.

I do not like DA/SA guns as the two trigger pulls are different and I like a more consistant trigger pull, I prefer SAO, but DAO is a close second. your looking at a 8-10 lbs trigger pull on the DA portion, and a 5 lbs pull on the SA portion, that's a big difference which means you know have 2 trigger pulls to get used to.

Regardless of the fact that I will most likely have my license prior to getting the gun, or around the same time, I don't want to carry it till I have many rounds though it and I am very comfortable with its operation, thoughts?
    This is best, you need to get used to how it operates untill you can do it with your eyes cloesed not figurtively speaking of course, and you need to prove reliabilty with no less the 500 rounds in my opinion. I'm through 200 in my Sig 220 as of today and am still getting used to it.

Ways to carry a full size pistol, I'd like a IWB that will work in the front or on my back. I would also like a shoulder holster for winter, when I'll be wearing a coat a lot. Any tips, I sit low in a sports car. I don't want to feel like I'm going to poke the family jewels, do they make holsters that are IWB were the gun sits up a little higher?
    A custom IWB from Milt Sparks or Defensive Carry's own Gary Brommeland will do wonders for IWB carry of a full size pistol.

I use a should holster for carry in the winter, and on long road trips, but be advised, you can't practice drawing from a should holster on almost all ranges, and I usually carry a pocket gun in the winter to act as my main, with the larger gun as backup.

I took the price of ammo into consideration and saw that I can get target ammo for 45 acp for about 11-12 dollars a box of 50, wolf brand, online. I am willing to spend that much for practice, it was only a dollar to 3 dollars more then 9mm and 40sw, are these cheap rounds ok?
    I won't shoot Wolf in pistols, stick with a cleaner ammo, I like the Winchester Whie Box Value packs of 100 from Walmart or Federal's American Eagle.

Thanks for your help, I now some of these questions have been asked before, I wanted to get more specific to my needs and couldn't find anything on the different actions that did not assume you already knew something, thanks for your patience and understanding.

Scott

I'm gonna backup Stormtruck and Jimbo on Wolf ammo as well, a buddy and I picked up a few boxes in .45acp at a gunshow and put them through my USP and his Glock....one word....NASTY!

As for the Sig, I carried a Sig P245 for a short while and couldn't complain about its quality and durability, I just found it a lil too heavy for me so I switched to a J frame snubby.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

I would agree with the posters above that you should try out a rental gun or friend's gun of the type you are considering before you buy it. There are many good guns on the market, but opinions can vary widely about what is best for your concealed carry gun. Each of us has slightly different likes and dislikes.

I think your choice of .45 caliber is a good one - it is certainly one of the best defensive calibers. I would stay away from Wolf ammo, however, as it is of poor quality. If you shop around you can buy Remington UMC, Winchester White Box or Federal American Eagle for not much more, and the quality is much better.

I have a couple of Sigs and they are excellent guns, although I don't have the P220 model. I have personally found that most Sigs, including the P220, are a little on the heavy and bulky side for comfortable concealed carry. According to the Sig website, the standard P220 weighs 31.2 ounces empty and is 1.4 inches wide at the widest point. The barrel length is 4.4 inches.

In .45 caliber for CCW I prefer an aluminum frame 1911 with 4 inch barrel and thin grip panels, such as the Kimber Pro CDP. This weighs 28 ounces empty and is 0.9 inches wide in the slide, and 1.0 inches wide in the grip. I believe it will conceal more comfortably than the Sig P220, while offering the same capacity of 8+1 rounds.

Another good possibility in a .45 CCW gun is the H&K USP 45 compact, which weighs about 25 ounces empty with a 3.8 inch barrel and 8+1 capacity. It is much easier to conceal than a P220:

Scott - you are hereby ordered to become a gunslut. Shoot every stlye gun you can get your hands on.

I have no negative comments on the 220 - and I love my 239, but you need to be sure about how the gun feels in your hand.

Once I made the mistake of buying a gun on it's statistics only - but that is a mistake I made ONLY ONCE !

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Scott - you are hereby ordered to become a gunslut. Shoot every stlye gun you can get your hands on.

I have no negative comments on the 220 - and I love my 239, but you need to be sure about how the gun feels in your hand.

Once I made the mistake of buying a gun on it's statistics only - but that is a mistake I made ONLY ONCE !
    Gunslut? I resemble that remark!

Scott, I agree that you need to handle a good amount of handguns before buying something, they are just like girls, some you like, some you love, and then there is that ONE! You will know it when you find it. I am on the same bench with Pogo2, when I picked up my Kimber Ultra Carry II, I knew it was THE one.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    The next step is Holsterhoarder!
    I have a sock drawer dang near full of holsters that I have tried to purchase locally. No Dice! I finally came to my senses and am ordering a holster from Gary Brommland. I have found that the rig that you carry in is as important as finding that ONE pistol. Welcome to the world of CC!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Welcome to our world. Like the others have said check out several other pistols before you really get hooked on one. Most of us here have more than one for different types of dress and so on. Do some window shopping and get a feel for the kind you like. I've only shot one Sig and it shot well.

VIP Member
    In reading these other posts you've got great advice all around you. As a reserve deputy I carried a P220 for years. I think it's a great gun, the good thing about it there are lot's of great guns out there also. Although I still have my P220 I've decided I'd prefer a Glock 27 for cc. I like the fact that I have a bit more flexibility with the G27 on where I can carry it, for instance it fits in my pants pocket pretty well, but the bigger P220 doesn't.

Good luck on whatever you choose, and remember a lot of your decision-making will contain trade-offs in some form.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links