Off hand weapon irregularities

This is a discussion on Off hand weapon irregularities within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've oftern heard that Glocks, and apparantly also my Kahr PM 40, will fail to cycle properly to re-feed the next round. I have never ...

Thread: Off hand weapon irregularities

Off hand weapon irregularities

I've oftern heard that Glocks, and apparantly also my Kahr PM 40, will fail to cycle properly to re-feed the next round. I have never had this happen with my strong side with my Glock 36 or the Kahr.

However, remembering that in my early years of academy training that we trained with weak side also, I tried that today with my PM 40, I was treated to multiple failures to go into battery.

Question: how do I correct this? Is it my "style" of using my weak (left) side or is it my lack of strength inhearant with off hand shooting. I was young and strong back in the day (also shooting wheelguns)

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Maybe ''style'' and ''strength'' combined - which perhaps we can simply call ''method''.

I see little option with weak hand practice other than - just that - practice!! I am ''getting on'' but still have quite good grip but - always require some natural cant with weak hand shooting - but for sure the grip technique does IMO need worked on.

I am further compromized by having had a fracture in left elbow and cannot straighten arm to normal lock-up ..... and so - it's a case for me of adapt and overcome - find the way that works.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well you sure wont have that problem in a wheelgun!

Often, failure to cycle with an otherwise reliable gun is caused by limp-wristing. Essentially you've got to hold the gun tighter. Your hand has to resist all of the recoil energy. If you don't fight the recoil, the recoil energy is spent to move your hand back a few inches - and that energy should be spent cycling the action.

Try grasping harder, firm up your wrist joint as works best for you.

This is somewhat common when shooting with your weak hand.

Ok...practice is always a good idea. I'm thinking the racquet ball hand exercize might help too? Also a few arm strengthening exercisizes.

Hmmm...limp wristing...eeeuuuwwww

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - ''squeeze'' excercizes can always help IMO but also - I forgot to mention - plenty of dry fire - that can help a lot IMO .. until finally live fire is needed to be able to deal with recoil/aim recovery aspects.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrown777 View Post
    However, remembering that in my early years of academy training that we trained with weak side also, I tried that today with my PM 40, I was treated to multiple failures to go into battery.

Question: how do I correct this? Is it my "style" of using my weak (left) side or is it my lack of strength inhearant with off hand shooting. I was young and strong back in the day (also shooting wheelguns)
    If you're shooting isosceles (aren't we all?) try punching the gun straight out with your off hand.

Lock elbow out.

Put your strong hand flat on your chest and pull into your chest as your pushing your off hand out. Then shoot. This creates an isometric tension to form a more solid off hand shooting platform.

Some have success with turning just your shooting hand wrist towards your centerline (45 degress) instead of having it at straight up and down. It is a more natural wrist position.

All of this coupled with a nice crush grip should help you out.

Good luck.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I practice weak side with my Glock, no problems. I also tend to squeeze the darn thing TOO tight. I shot a buddy's .44 mag revolver once, and I was squeezing the grip so tight it split the web of my hand open. I consciously have to remember not to squeeze too tight. On the other hand, I've never had a cycling problem with any of my guns.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Are you shooting one handed or two handed? Smaller, lighter, center fire hand guns can be "snappy" in their recoil. Start with two until your used to shooting "that way" again. Then mix in single hand as you get back the feel of shooting weak side.. Nice firm grip. I agree it sounds like limp wristing. If gun related it would happen strong side also.
    Be safe.

VIP Member
    I have tried and tried to get a Glock to fail to cycle- I have yet to manage to make it happen.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I'm shooting two handed...actually ol school Col. Cooper. So, if If I lock up the elbow that might help.

Hard to relearn or adjust what I've been taught and doing for 25 years to accomodate the little autoloaders. I will though, I do love those little things.

Links