XD Stovepipes

This is a discussion on XD Stovepipes within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went up north this weekend to do some shooting and had the 3rd malfunction with my xd9sc. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 ...

Thread: XD Stovepipes

XD Stovepipes

Went up north this weekend to do some shooting and had the 3rd malfunction with my xd9sc. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 rounds through it. The first was actually the 2nd round ever fired through the gun, the 2nd later in that first session. Several more sessions of 100-150 round with no problems. his weekend, somewhere around round #230 it happened. Always the same malfunction. I guess 3 out of 1000 isn't too bad, but I'd like less.

What bothers me is that Turn, tap, rack doesn't clear it. A bullet manages to feed all the way in, while the extracted brass doesn't clear the ejection port. turn, tap, rack drops the old brass, but the round in the chamber isn't extracted, so rack tries to feed a new round into the one in the chamber. Now I have to drop the mag, pull the slide back and lock it, the turn the gun over and shake the round loose. This takes way too long.

Anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    3 out of a thousand would be unacceptable to me. You didnt say what kind of ammo you are using.

3 out of 1000 is not good.

Sounds like the extractor is having problems. Check for chips in the extractor than my be holding on to the case. Also look at your mag springs. Weak springs have caused weird problems with my Glock.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    What type of ammunition are you shooting? Have you ever disassembled and cleaned your magazines? Does this always happen with the same mag?

Administrator
    What you need to do is go shoot again and mark whatever magazine you are experiencing any failure with.

Always suspect the magazine first.

Smooth the underside edges of your magazine feed lips with some 3M Wet or Dry Silicon Carbide paper in 1500 Grit.
    Get them nice and smooth where the top cartridge contacts the feed lips. The 1500 grit is so fine that you'll never remove too much metal.

Also your recoil spring might be a little too overly stiff.
    Try storing your firearm with the slide locked back for about a week or so.

Switch to one of the hi tech super-lubes on your slide to frame rails. Jardines Extreme is a real good one to buy.

I sure would not sweat anything yet.

Try the above easy tips first.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It could be you are limpwristing a bit. That will often cause an FTE. From what I understand this is most common in the smaller autos. With the sub-compact XD its hard to get a good hold on the shorter grip. So it's entirely possible that's the cause of your problems.

Mo
    Clear a stovepipe by sweeping your hand from the front of the gun to the back along the top of the slide (without putting your hand in front of the muzzle, obviously). This motion easily removes the stuck brass without prying or pulling. The slide will close fully on the brass and the extractor should pick up the round in the chamber so that when you rack the slide it will be extracted.

As far as fixing the issue, I would suspect limpwristing because it sounds like the slide isn't hitting its full rearward position and hitting the ejector hard enough. Lock those wrists!

Three things to check

1) Check ammo being used

2) Check magazines

3) Put some "starch" in your wrist (sub compacts don't give you much grip to hold onto) (I recommend faultless starch )
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    LBrombach,

The XD predecessor, the HS2000 had some extractor problems. Some seemed to work, some tended to fail to extract. This problem carried over into the XDs for a while until the extractor was redesigned.

A friend's XD and my XD had the extractor problem. I called Springfield and they sent us two new extractors. Oddly, one was the old style and one was the new style. Springfield sent me another new design extractor and our problems went away.

I presume the old design extractors are no longer produced, but if you bought a used XD, you could have got the older style extractor. Just something to consider if nothing else can be identified as the culprit.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Thanks guys, Some real good possibilities. The XD was brand new when I bought it a few months ago. I suppose I should clean the mags, huh?

The first time I shot it was with 2 premium ammos and a box of WWB, I think it was the federal PD and the WWB that gave me FTEs. I will say that that session was the first time I'd fired a handgun in several years. Limp-wristing is a very real possibility there. I haven't had problems in several sessions since.

The last stovepipe actually happened when I let my 10 year old shoot it. Limp wristing very likely there, although I initially thought that it was just getting dirty from cheap ammo I can't even remember the name of. Though when it jammed it was WWB.

I can't see any obvious damage to the extractor, and I'll polish up the mags just because I can. It looks like I have no choice but to go to the range and fire 200 of every 9mm round they have.

And just to brag, this weekend my boy got to fire a handgun (my 9) and an AR15 (.223) for the first time. He did real good (using a rest for the rifle. That boy can hit what he's aimin' at! Wish I had taken a camera. My 13 y/o girl wanted to shoot, but decided that there were too many bugs out. She's kindof an indoor sportsman.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I always clean my mags when I clean the gun. They are a mechanical moving part just like any other and can be compromised by grime.

Links