Sig P220 Combat

This is a discussion on Sig P220 Combat within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question if anyone knows or owns this gun. Other then the color and the anti corrosive coating on the internals, is there any difference between ...

Thread: Sig P220 Combat

Sig P220 Combat

Question if anyone knows or owns this gun. Other then the color and the anti corrosive coating on the internals, is there any difference between it and a standard DA/SA 220? I read the circumstances this gun was built under, and it met a 50 meter grouping requirement by shooting 50m groups at 1.8 inches! Does the standard 220 shoot this strait, is this the same exact gun they built for SOCOM or did they change it for the civilian market? Personally I just like the looks over a standard 220 and was wondering what I would get for the extra money.

Thanks, Scott

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Last I checked SOCOM does no gun yet have Sigs in .45, it IS the gun that Sig submitted for trials.

Currently I think the SEALs are using the 226, as well is Blackwater.

From Sig's webiste:

P220 Combat
    The P220 Combat is the newest version of the legendary SIG SAUER® pistol. Designed to meet, and exceed, rigorous military standards, the P220 Combat performs like no other .45ACP available. Each pistol features the military’s Flat Dark Earth finish on its alloy frame and SIG’s Nitron® over a stainless slide. Internal parts and controls are coated or phosphated for extreme corrosion resistance and reduced friction while the barrel is hard chromed and finished in Nitron® which easily passes the military’s accuracy requirements – even after 20,000 rounds. The P220 Combat also passes the military’s 240-hour salt spray corrosion test. Additional features include a true M1913 Picatinny rail, vertical front strap serrations and SIGLITE® night sights
    Basicly it sounds no different than a standard 220 barrel, the 220 Match models have a
    SAUER® cold hammer forged barrel
    , so as far as a anyhitng different, it appears that they just gave it a better finish. But then again I'm not a Sig expert or armorer, you may try the Sig Forum and see what they have to say.

Sig P-220 combat

The Sig that the Seals use is available to the public as a Sig P226 NSW 9MM. Yes the Seals use the 9MM. If you thought only a .45 would be big enough, as my instructor said, "Tell me 9MM isn't big enough after I put one in your chest, and one in your head. If you can." The NSW stands for Navy Special Warfare. Sig made a contribution to a Seal memorial family charity for each P226 NSW sold new. Don't think any are available new any longer. If my memory was better I could tell you more! LOL
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Exclamation +1 BlackWater P226 Sig!

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Last I checked SOCOM does no gun yet have Sigs in .45, it IS the gun that Sig submitted for trials.

Currently I think the SEALs are using the 226, as well is Blackwater.
    My next handgun is the P226 Blackwater Edition Sig.

I have had some feedback from some folks in the SpecOps community and a LOT of those guys (it seems to me) favor the new H&K USP variant in 45. It's called the H&K45 (oddly enough) and was developed in conjunction with Larry Vickers. He was the founding armorer for SFOD-D aka "Delta Force." That's on my purchase list, too, when it becomes available.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    My next handgun is the P226 Blackwater Edition Sig.

I have had some feedback from some folks in the SpecOps community and a LOT of those guys (it seems to me) favor the new H&K USP variant in 45. It's called the H&K45 (oddly enough) and was developed in conjunction with Larry Vickers. He was the founding armorer for SFOD-D aka "Delta Force." That's on my purchase list, too, when it becomes available.

Nice, pending on how I fell about my 220 in a few months, I think a 226 Elite will soon be added to the stable.

I personally prefer my Sig P245 but it's no longer being made. I think the new P220 "COMPACT" is the replacement for the P245.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; May 30th, 2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: fix info error.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I personally prefer my Sig P245 but it's no longer being made. I think the new P220 "CARRY" is the replacement for the P245.
    Nope, the 220 Compact is, it's new and very, very sexy.

Wink I changed my post

I changed my post to reflect your facts. I knew that. Hey they both start with a "C!"

I just purchased one, can't wait for it to come in to my FFL --never thought I'd fall for a beaver tail on a Sig. The neat thing is the 220 Compact is made in Germany...frame and slide. It utilizes the 245 mags and a holster designed for the 245 will fit the 220 Compact (as long as it's open top, with no thumb break, according to SigArms Customer Service).
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Senior Moderator
    Should I start getting jealous?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Should I start getting jealous?

I'd reply with something witty, but this thread has all ready jumped off topic from the 220 Combat to the 220 Compact...

Bad me, bad

All sig did was make a tough gun tougher, check this out if you havn't seen it.

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/Lasermax.html

Talk about a torture test.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Links