Taking a trip to Texas this summer & need advice...

This is a discussion on Taking a trip to Texas this summer & need advice... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand the problem. One potential solution is one of those bolt-down gun safes suitable for the car. Put one in the safe and one ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking a trip to Texas this summer & need advice...

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I understand the problem. One potential solution is one of those bolt-down gun safes suitable for the car. Put one in the safe and one on the hip. Perhaps both in the safe if you are traveling thru any areas where carry is illegal.

ANYTHING visible in a mini-van is an easy mark for a thief, so try your best to keep everything under cover or in motel rooms overnight.

2. Remove Ads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I'd JUST made the decision to go with the Glock and you go and say that.... ~sigh~ Worse I've got a Sig Sauer window sticker on the back window of my van (right next to the NRA Instructor sticker) and I'm already feeling like such a traitor...because I took off the Glock sticker for the Sig.....The problem is that it's a Texas summer and the Sig is ummmm SIGnificantly bigger and heavier than the Glock M27 and the advantage in concealibility with the stubby 9rd mag with the M22 & M23 hi-caps is important. I'd be stuck with an even stubbier 6rd Sig mag as standard and only a bunch of P220 8rd mags for backup. The 45 is heavier and it IS summer in Texas..... I just have sooooo many rationalizations I can't stand myself.

Hey! I might be in San Antonio with wife and pups over the 4th of July. Any suggestions on what to do and where to go that is pup friendly? Conversely, any suggestions on places to strictly AVOID for any reason? Also we'd like to find a good Mexican (the real McCoy) restaurant AND a good place for some real Texas STEAK where we won't be scared to leave the pups in the car at night. Too much to ask? Maybe we could meet up? Love to buy you a "cold one" I'll be drinking sweet tea, I don't drink when I carry..... Feel free to send me a PM.
    Well, if I pull you over, with a SIG sticker on your car, carrying a Glock, I'll take you downtown. You may beat the rap, but you'll take the ride. I might not be able to get you on "unlawful carry of a weapon", but I'll think of something. Maybe "carrying a Glock on a sunny day" or something to that affect. By the way, that is a felony in my county. Uh oh, I just realized I am guilty of that particular offense myself. Damn county Glock policy. Huhm? Dilema. Oh well, I'll think of something.

On a serious note: I don't know of anywhere that is particularyly puppy friendly other than a park or something, but I can suggest some places to eat. As to whether or not they are authentic Mexican food, that depends on who you ask. I think all restaurants in SA(and most parts of Texas) that aren't just total s***holes, are pretty well Americanized Mexican food. The truly authentic places you wouldn't want to go without back up, and without speaking Spanish. And most of them are located down by the county jail and bail bonds places. Oh yah, and avoid everywhere near the county jail area. I will come up with some ideas for some good Mexican food and get back to you asap. I just can't think of any right this second.

As for Texas steaks, you have to try the Texas Roadhouse. I love it. They give you a bucket of peanuts to snack on while you wait, and they fully expect you to spit the shells on the floor. It's tradition. And they have the best steaks around, all for a reasonable price. I know of 2 TRs in SA. One is on 410 out west past I-10, and the other one that I go to is located off 410 and I-35 in the suburb of Live Oak. Both places are nice enough to leave your pup in the car at.

I am always happy to let others buy me a beer or a sweet tea, so you can feel free to meet up with me and do just that. Then maybe I'll let you slide on that whole Glock situation. ;)
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

DC Founder
    You don't want "authentic" mexican food, you want TexMex mexican food. All the rest is crap (especially Arizona's). IMHO, of course.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    You don't want "authentic" mexican food, you want TexMex mexican food. All the rest is crap (especially Arizona's). IMHO, of course.....
    Yah, authentic Mexican food will eat a hole through my stomach. It tends to be very greasy and spicy, a combination that does not sit well with my stomach.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links