Taking a trip to Texas this summer & need advice...

This is a discussion on Taking a trip to Texas this summer & need advice... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are PUPPIES in TEXAS!!! Our beloved MISS LIBERTY (Libby) was born YESTERDAY near Blanco Texas (just outside San Antonio). Like our current Newfoundland puppy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a trip to Texas this summer & need advice...

Question Taking a trip to Texas this summer & need advice...

There are PUPPIES in TEXAS!!! Our beloved MISS LIBERTY (Libby) was born YESTERDAY near Blanco Texas (just outside San Antonio). Like our current Newfoundland puppy MISSY (Miss America), we'll be driving out to pick her up. No plane rides for one of our kids in the summer heat! So we'll be taking our first real summer vacation in years probably at the end of June.

I'm obviously going armed because I'll be legal all the way there and back under state reciprocity laws.

My question is this, if you were ME would you carry a Glock M27 or the Sig Sauer P245? I'm leaving the 1911's out of this as too big for summer in Texas and for other reasons. It's between the Sig and the M27. I have holsters for each and ammo for each. The Glock has two Hi-caps (1 M22 & 1 M23 each with grip spacer) plus a standard nine round mag. I also have more holsters for the Glock (3), but that's not the deciding factor, since the two Sig holsters are extremely comfortable.

For the Sig I have 3 factory 8rd mags and one factory 7rd mag (all for a Sig P220 and one has a grip spacer) plus a Sig P245 six rd mag for starters in the gun. Carry ammo for both is NOT a problem. Both have night sights. I'm leaning to the Sig although I don't exactly know why! What do you think and WHY and PLEASE don't say words to the effect of "whatever floats your boat, melts your butter" or etc.

Give me some real feedback although I know this is a subjective matter and please nobody get offended if I don't take your advice.....Well, I guarantee I'll take 50% of the advice! IOW one of the two (but not both) will be the winner.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Ex, some thoughts to help guide YOU to make the decision:

- Which do you shoot best?

- Which is easiest to present (and maneuver) while sitting in a vehicle?

- Which one gives you the most confidence?

Answer these questions and your choice should become self-evident.

Lightbulb Good Questions

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    Ex, some thoughts to help guide YOU to make the decision:

- Which do you shoot best?

- Which is easiest to present (and maneuver) while sitting in a vehicle?

- Which one gives you the most confidence?

Answer these questions and your choice should become self-evident.
    Good questions. I'll find out the answers at my next IDPA match next weekend. I'll let you know. Thanks.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Both are excellent pistols. 'Sounds like you'll be spending a lot of time behind the wheel. I'd pick whichever I could holster most comfortably while seated in a car for 8, 10, 12 or whatever hours.
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Either gun is fine, just mind your Ps and Qs when traveling through Lago Vista and/or Austin, and San Antonio itself has some weird laws too but mostly about knives. Still you might check. Personally I find San Anton is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

I've been to Blanco about a year ago. I think I could have walked around with a lever action .45-70 and a 12 gauge in hand and no one would have batted an eye. Those people have more important things to worry about it seems.

Oh and keep in mind that here in the Lone Star State you must declare. Being an out of stater, you should know the areas I mentioned are the pockets of anti gun liberalism and/or largely ignorant police who like to make the state law up for themselves.

Red face

Can't advise on which gun, but here is some info on where you can & can't carry.

For any establishment that wants to prohibit you being armed in their business, they must have a sign or placard conspicuously located at the entrance with written language 'identical' to the following:

"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun".

That verbage above is the only legal posting allowed. If the owner just says no firearms allowed, or puts one of those no smoker type pictures except it has a gun instead of cigarette, or any other kind of wording....you can ignore it. However, if the owner/manager of the establishment sees that you are carrying, and verbally asks you to leave, then you must leave.

You can't carry in any Federal buildings; court houses; schools; racetracks; within 1000 feet of an institution (prison) on the day of an execution; high school, collegiate, or professional sporting events; any establishment that sells liquor if the business derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for "on-premises" consumption.

That last one means you can in fact go in a liquor store to buy booze since Texas law doesn't allow "on-premises" consumption there. You can carry inside any of the bar & grill franchises (Applebees, South of the Border, Chilies, etc.) since they derive less than 51% of sales based on booze....however, I wouldn't sit at the bar part of the place...get a table or booth.

One last thing...if you are stopped for a traffic violation, present both your driver's licence and your CCW permit....don't wait to be asked for it...they can opt to seize it.

Hope this helps a bit....by the way, my wife has been raising Newfies for years...currently down to 4....they're big ole babies !!

I agree with LenS on the questions. There is a lot good info on this thread.
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

Lightbulb Texas Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    One last thing...if you are stopped for a traffic violation, present both your driver's licence and your CCW permit....don't wait to be asked for it...they can opt to seize it.

Hope this helps a bit....by the way, my wife has been raising Newfies for years...currently down to 4....they're big ole babies !!
    Pretty much the same rules here in Florida, even to the no sitting at the bar in TGI: Friday's. We also have a duty to notify and I have a little mini speech all memorized for this occasion. If I get stopped not for an infraction but at a random traffic check for insurance or DUI spotchecks, I still have to notify, correct? I'm guessing that's still the case. Didn't know about the "notify or seizure" angle though.

Whereabouts in Texas are you? If you're close to our route, be pleased to meet you someplace pup friendly (outdoor covered seating) for lunch and a "cold one." We'll have two newfies with us, one little pup and a 3 yr old.

Could you post some pics of your newfies here?

Lightbulb Texas Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Either gun is fine, just mind your Ps and Qs when traveling through Lago Vista and/or Austin, and San Antonio itself has some weird laws too but mostly about knives. Still you might check. Personally I find San Anton is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

I've been to Blanco about a year ago. I think I could have walked around with a lever action .45-70 and a 12 gauge in hand and no one would have batted an eye. Those people have more important things to worry about it seems.

Oh and keep in mind that here in the Lone Star State you must declare. Being an out of stater, you should know the areas I mentioned are the pockets of anti gun liberalism and/or largely ignorant police who like to make the state law up for themselves.
    Today was SUCH a glorious day even for South Florida and it was COOL and still sunny, we decided to forego the movie we were thinking of seeing (Sahara) and instead take our pup, MISSY down to the Florida Keys for an outdoor lunch on the water.

I decided to carry the Glock M27 and pay attention to how it felt for the trip, 'cause it takes about an hour or so on the road from our place to there. It was EXTREMELY comfortable. I'm leaning now to the Glock but I'll run my IDPA match this weekend to be sure. I like the Glock because it's smaller than the Sig and lighter and has the advantage of two hi-cap mags (although marginally less power)--it's a bit easier to conceal, I'm thinking.

We're going to take the time to schmooze around a bit and sightsee. Want to "do" Riverwalk and I want to visit the San Jacinto Battlefield (I AM a history teacher after all) and my wife wants to hit the craft shops in Fredericksburg and throughout the whole trip we'll be looking for potential places to live.....And I'm pretty sure we'll want to stay away from Austin, unless we want to hit the Sportsmobile Factory there so I can lust after one of the custom made 4x4 vans that qualifies as a second home....

http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

You're ALSO in Texas like Prospector. I'd love to get together with YOU and yours for a spot of lunch and a "cold one" as well. And we could chat about being a teacher in Texas, because that might interest me after a move there....So where are you approx? Might it be feasible?

Go with the 245. I wish I had a 245. For the obvious reason of course, it's a SIG, but also because I think it is a great .45. Of course if you shoot the Glock better, and are more comfortable with it, then carry it. But in the event of a toss up, pick the Sig. I would never carry my Glocks over my Sigs if I had the choice.

And by the way, don't worry about San Antonio. For a while they were trying to enforce some dumb*** city ordinance regarding lock blade knives, but that's over now. I am a Deputy Sheriff there, and I can tell you there won't be any problems. The Austin area is full of anti-gun liberal wierdos, some of the worst in the world, just short of the ones in San Francisco as a matter of fact, but San Antonio is pretty cool.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Oh My S. O. !! I think what's in San Fransisco is what's commonly deamed as "Granolas" more commonly known as "Fruits and Nuts"
    At least my Brother called them that. especially in the Berkley Ca area LOL

Talking

ExSoldier762....as far as the "seizure" goes, that would occur if they had probable cause to search your vehicle and found the gun before you presented your permit...same if they frisked you & found on your person...you'd probably get em back, but only after going thru some hassle. My instructors were Celina cops and brought this up....they said most cops won't go the extreme, but until they know you are "legal", they'll be real cautious. They were trying to impress the importance of flashing that permit right off the bat...don't wait to be asked.

I live in far north Texas, probably off your route....my wife has the Newfies with her in Oklahoma, where she's goin to school...I'm what you'd call a "geographic bachelor".

Unhappy Oh Maaaaan!

Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Interceptor
    Go with the 245. I wish I had a 245. For the obvious reason of course, it's a SIG, but also because I think it is a great .45. Of course if you shoot the Glock better, and are more comfortable with it, then carry it. But in the event of a toss up, pick the Sig. I would never carry my Glocks over my Sigs if I had the choice.

And by the way, don't worry about San Antonio. For a while they were trying to enforce some dumb*** city ordinance regarding lock blade knives, but that's over now. I am a Deputy Sheriff there, and I can tell you there won't be any problems. The Austin area is full of anti-gun liberal wierdos, some of the worst in the world, just short of the ones in San Francisco as a matter of fact, but San Antonio is pretty cool.
    I'd JUST made the decision to go with the Glock and you go and say that.... ~sigh~ Worse I've got a Sig Sauer window sticker on the back window of my van (right next to the NRA Instructor sticker) and I'm already feeling like such a traitor...because I took off the Glock sticker for the Sig.....The problem is that it's a Texas summer and the Sig is ummmm SIGnificantly bigger and heavier than the Glock M27 and the advantage in concealibility with the stubby 9rd mag with the M22 & M23 hi-caps is important. I'd be stuck with an even stubbier 6rd Sig mag as standard and only a bunch of P220 8rd mags for backup. The 45 is heavier and it IS summer in Texas..... I just have sooooo many rationalizations I can't stand myself.

Hey! I might be in San Antonio with wife and pups over the 4th of July. Any suggestions on what to do and where to go that is pup friendly? Conversely, any suggestions on places to strictly AVOID for any reason? Also we'd like to find a good Mexican (the real McCoy) restaurant AND a good place for some real Texas STEAK where we won't be scared to leave the pups in the car at night. Too much to ask? Maybe we could meet up? Love to buy you a "cold one" I'll be drinking sweet tea, I don't drink when I carry..... Feel free to send me a PM.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Why not end the agony and take both. Wear each on alternating days!

Thumbs down Both? Naaaaaaaw

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    Why not end the agony and take both. Wear each on alternating days!
    That's too dangerous. My wife does not have a CCW and it's running a major theft risk for the weapon I'm NOT carrying. I'm in a mini-van. No trunk to secure it in. If the piece is ON my body I'm 100% certain I'm in physical control, all the time. But you see the problem if one of them is out of sight and out of reach? What do I do if we want to walk around and "sight see?" Uh-uh, can't do it.

What do YOU think, SO?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links