Kimber Covert II - Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Kimber Covert II - Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've toyed with the idea of getting the Ultra Covert II (3"). Albeit, I'm new to 1911s, but when I held this gun in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've toyed with the idea of getting the Ultra Covert II (3"). Albeit, I'm new to 1911s, but when I held this gun in my hand I was just amazed at the balance, excellent grip, perfect/crisp trigger, and pointability. Has anyone shot the Covert II or own one??

If I could get it for $1k new, I'd own it by now.

$1,500 is just an awful lot of money. Anyone care to talk me into or out of getting it??

Dont do it, too much $$$. You could have 2-4 carry options for that price w//ammo and holsters!

Another 1 bit by the 1911 bug, once you pick one up you just can't let it go. Trust me I know, I wouldn't give mine up for nothing.

while that is a very nice looking firearm (if it were 1 solid color), theres no way i would pay 1500 for it. There are plenty of 1911 options out there. I say keep looking
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."--Sigmund Freud

I agree while nice guns they are too expensive. In all actuality I think most 1911's are way overpriced. Unless you are picking up a custom I do not think any of them should be over $700.

you can get a nice para LDA in stainless for half that amount !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by ruffryder1167 View Post
    There are plenty of 1911 options out there. I say keep looking
    Plenty of options...but if that's the one you want, get it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

JD
    Administrator
    I'd rather stick $1500 into a Les Baer than a Kimber, I've had 4 Kimbers, currently own 3, 3 of them have been "Custom Shop" guns, no way is a Kmber worth $1500.

All your paying for on that gun is the tacti-cool element with the two-tone camo style finsih and the laser grips.

You can buy a 4" Smith & Wesson 1911 with Laser Grips for 1K out the door if it suits you, but I'd suggest just spending the $$ on a good gun, a good holster, and some ammo.

If you end up liking the gun, then put Crimson Trace grips on it.

You can get basicly the same thing without the lazer in the kimber ultra carry for around $750.

I agree that $1500 is too much for the Ultra Covert II. Impact Guns lists it for $1224, and you might could do better than that with a bit of shopping. Figure the price of Crimson Trace laser grips at about $250-$275, and you have the pistol right in the range of the Ultra CDP II. You could get a Kimber Ultra Carry II with the Crimson Trace grips for around $850-$875. So, with the Covert, you're paying a bit more for cosmetics, and a bit extra because it's a new model, but at around $1200, it's not a bad price, and if it's like my Kimbers, it'll be an outstanding pistol. If you like it and have the bucks, go for it, but shop around.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

This gun is new to the market, wont the $$$ come down over time?

Street price probably will, a bit. Although the general trend is for all prices to keep rising. Our monthly gun show is finally on again after a 2 month hiatus. There are a couple of very competitive Kimber dealers that usually show, so I'll see what I can find and give a report.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Cool

There are three of them on Gunbroker.com for $1200-1300.
    Semper Fi

If you're set on that one, I'd wait a while. If you're not, take a look at the Ultra Carry line, quite a bit cheaper.
    Had a Sig 245 as my carry gun and was pretty happy with it. Then I felt a Kimber. Amazing trigger, one more round capacity in about the same size. Picked up an Ultra Carry II and been very happy with it. With thin grips (even the stock) it conceals much better and more comfortably. No malfunctions, more accurate than I am. Did I mention the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Street price probably will, a bit. Although the general trend is for all prices to keep rising. Our monthly gun show is finally on again after a 2 month hiatus. There are a couple of very competitive Kimber dealers that usually show, so I'll see what I can find and give a report.

Rod,

Hurray, the Alzafar show reopens today!
    The wife and I will definitely be there. We're hunting around for a Springfield EMP for her to handle, plus we're out of beef jerky!
    :)

Back to the OP's question...I agree with the sentiment that if that's the 1911 that looks (and most importantly feels) right to you, that's the one you should get. 1911s are unlike any other handgun when it comes to ergonomics, IMHO. While one should be able to make any one feel pretty much like another by matching a few parts (MSH, grip safety, trigger, grips) I've found it's not always that simple.

One piece of advice if you do decide on that Kimber. I suggest shooting a 3" alloy framed 1911 prior to laying down your money. If you're used to 4-5" slides/barrels and steel frames, you are going to notice a significant difference in shooting experience. I'm not saying it's unpleasant, but it's definitely different.

B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links