Kel-Tec PF-9 -- First Range Report

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF-9 -- First Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Managed to get to the range today and put some rounds out of the new Kel-Tec PF-9. Fired 150 rounds through it with only two ...

Thread: Kel-Tec PF-9 -- First Range Report

Managed to get to the range today and put some rounds out of the new Kel-Tec PF-9. Fired 150 rounds through it with only two failures to feed and no failures to eject.

Ammunition used was CCI Blazer FMJ(aluminum), CCI Blazer FMJ (brass), Magtech FMJ, Remington Golden Saber, & Federal Expanding FMJ.

Both FsTF occurred with the Golden Saber ammo and both from the same magazine (have 3 magazines). They weren't a partial feed jam, it was more like they didn't feed up from the magazine at all. Both jams were corrected by a quick pull/release on the slide and the jammed round fed directly into the chamber. At this point, I'm not sure it it's an ammo problem or a magazine problem, but all other ammo, including the square nosed Federal Expanding FMJ was completely reliable.

Accuracy was not bad for an inexpensive firearm. Shooting unsupported two hand hold at 10 yards, I was able to keep 21 rounds (3 - 7rnd mags) in the 9 & 10 ring. About a 5" group fired at a moderate pace.

Trigger pull was tolerable, but not what you'd be real proud of. It is fairly smooth through the first 4/5 of the travel but loads up a fair amount in the final 1/5 of the trigger travel. The trigger isn't so bad as to be detrimental to accuracy for a carry piece, but I wouldn't want to try and shoot bullseye with it.

All in all, I wasn't unhappy with it for a 15oz., sub $300.00 pistol. At this point, I have every indication that, with the selection of the right ammo, it will be a reliable back-up carry piece to my Kahr PM-9 for less than half the cost.

I'd be glad to try and answer questions that anyone may have about my experience with this pistol.

All for now.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thanks for the report.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sounds like a winner for you! Thanks for the review and let us know if your going to put the gun to work as a carry gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Moderator
    Nice report, Let us know if the trigger smooths out with more rounds through it.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Does your PF-9 have the old barrel or the modified, new one? The old design (essentially, it was a P-11 barrel in a different gun) was the cause of a lot of feed problems when the guns first came out last fall. MyPF-9 has the new design and it's had no problems.

Here's a photo of the two PF-9 barrels. The new design is on the left.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rachilders; June 1st, 2007 at 02:28 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Mine has the new style barrel. Before shooting it, I took the Dremel to it and polished the feed ramp. It wasn't really rough to start with, just very dull.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

very nice report Hoss. I'm interested in these guns myself. I dont even own a 9mm at this point, so that might be a new option for me. ;)
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

for the price any kel tec is worth the $$$. i have a p11 and a p3at, both are tops. break it in and you will find out that the gun will be with you at all times. the f&b is also something good to do.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have one with the new feed barrel, and I didn't have any trouble with Golden Sabers feeding. That said, I had problems with the trigger spring (as well as me taking it apart beyond my ability to get back together...my fault!) that caused me to send it back in...I just got it back yesterday, and it looks like they may have replaced everything but the frame! Grip, magazine, barrel, slide...all looks newish, if I can tell. So I'll have to break it in again, may be completely different results this time. Overall, great tiny little pistol for the money, just may take a bit of extra love to get running smoothly (like many guns).

VIP Member
    Probably the mag, clean and re-lub it and try again.

Sponsored Links