Witness Compact vs. Glock 29 ?

This is a discussion on Witness Compact vs. Glock 29 ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the full sized witness in 10mm and really like it. I am considering swapping out my old carry, G36 for the Witness Compact. ...

I have the full sized witness in 10mm and really like it. I am considering swapping out my old carry, G36 for the Witness Compact.

I've had a few Glocks...like them well enough, but not a "Hot on Glock" devotee. I prefer the SA in the Witness.

Thoughts?
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Witness 10mm steel compact?

EAA makes two Witness compacts, a polymer and a steel framed version. I presume you are talking about the steel frame, since you imply that you want a 10mm gun. The polymer frame Witness compact does not come in 10mm caliber.

EAA Witness website

The 10mm Witness compact is a 12+1 capacity, 30 ounce weight, 3.6 inch barrel semiauto.

The Glock 29 is a 10+1 capacity, 25 ounce weight, 3.78 inch barrel gun. So the Glock is somewhat smaller in weight and capacity than the Witness, but similar in dimensions. Both have double stack magazines and are fairly wide or "chunky" guns compared to your existing Glock 36. They would be a little more trouble to conceal, but would certainly give you more firepower than the 6+1 capacity G36.

I think your choice comes down more to personal preference than one gun being better than the other. If you liked the trigger system better on the Witness, that might be the determining factor.

I really like my Witness, I have the P Carry in 45acp 10+1
    Very lite and compact and a great shooter, It is one of my favorite CCW's
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

If the 29 is a bit smaller are there controll issues I am likely to face. What are other shooters reporting in the area?
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have experienced no control issues in training with my G29....
    However, I recommend renting one if you have reservations regarding recoil, etc....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

yes there is a poly version
    Price: $393.00
    Description:
    The EAA Witness Polymer features include integral locking system, auto firing pin block, windage adjustable sight and grip extension. Unlike most other semi-automatic pistols, the slide rides inside the frame rails rather than outside. This provides a very tight slide-to-frame fit, very good barrel lock-up and contributes to good accuracy. It is also one of the few production semi-automatic pistols available in the 10mm Auto chambering.
    SA/DA. Produced by Tanfoglio of Italy. Integral locking system. Auto firing pin block. Accessory rail. Windage adjustable sight. Grip extension. Blue finish. Wt.: 27 oz.
    Additional Information
    Manufacturer European American Armory
    SKU GAG_EA999063
    Condition New in Box
    UPC 741566111396
    Model Witness
    Manufacturer Part Number 999063
    Finish Per Color Wonder Finish
    Capacity 12Rd
    Frame Per Material Polymer

VIP Member
    I don't like extended beaver tails and external hammers on my concealed carry guns, so I would go with the Glock.
    Last edited by Mike1956; May 13th, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbrown777 View Post
    If the 29 is a bit smaller are there controll issues I am likely to face. What are other shooters reporting in the area?
    The ammo you use will determine the amount or lack of recoil, generally much of the 10mm ammo sold is loaded down closer to .40S&W specifications. At the other end of the spectrum is the hot rod stuff from Buffalo Bore and some of the other boutique brands. I never really liked how Glocks with abbreviated grip frame's felt, (or any other pistol for that matter), and didn't keep my G29 very long. If I had gotten a G20SF it would probably still be around.

Links