HK p7 Q .

This is a discussion on HK p7 Q . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here have one of these spendy little jewells ? and if so how do you like it ? I have wanted one for years ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK p7 Q .

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

HK p7 Q .

Anyone here have one of these spendy little jewells ? and if so how do you like it ? I have wanted one for years , and just bought one sight unseen but supposedly at a very good to as new in box condition with extra mags for about 800 . Now i know if the pistol is as represented i can spin it at no loss , but even tho i cant afford it right now .... well you know how it is to want a gun for a while and then luck into an " affordable " purchace .. so am i a fool , or do the p7s live up to the hype ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Is it a P7 PSP, M8? Also Find out whats stamped as the importer.

I have HEARD from a guy whos had a few that there are certain ones that have better parts in them based on the import facitily. I think he said that the older Chantilly, VA guns are a little more sought after, and hold up better then the newer Sterling guns. This is third hand so someone might have to enlighten me as well.

However for 800 dollars that hard to beat!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Rob at this point all i know is its a p7 HK is the importer , and its a used police trade in that is preported to be in LNIB shape . There seems to be some shook loose reciently and i have my name on oine of the 50 or so prime ones out of 1300 or so that are comeing in . I am assuming heel mag release ect.. but the manual of arms for the P7 is so different from anything else , that change does not bug me as much as it most likely should lol . As you said tho at that price with 3 mags IMHO its hard to go wrong on an exelent to like new in box p7 of any variety . I was just hopeing for some shooter input on pro/con on the p7 formfactor .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I am assuming heel mag release ect.. but the manual of arms for the P7 is so different from anything else , that change does not bug me as much as it most likely should lol .
    If it is billed as a police gun, and has the heel release, that's a PSP. The M8 has the Americanized release. Wander over to Park Cities Tactical- Cult of the P7.

Flat, fast and accurate. Makes a great club, if you run dry, too! I had two, that I sent to Ford's for hard chrome. BladeTech makes a good "economical" holster; Rosen and Del Fatti are premium.

I have heard of some knuckle-dragging, scaborous, pustulating heathens that did not like them, but that's about all.

No real cons, aside from weight and capacity. Shoot more than 5 mags in rapid succession, and the frame gets a bit warm. Much like a grip-safety J Frame- carried much, shot little, or fondled gently in the door of the safe.

Rob at this point all i know is its a p7 HK is the importer , and its a used police trade in that is preported to be in LNIB shape . There seems to be some shook loose reciently and i have my name on oine of the 50 or so prime ones out of 1300 or so that are comeing in . I am assuming heel mag release ect.. but the manual of arms for the P7 is so different from anything else , that change does not bug me as much as it most likely should lol . As you said tho at that price with 3 mags IMHO its hard to go wrong on an exelent to like new in box p7 of any variety . I was just hopeing for some shooter input on pro/con on the p7 formfactor .

To be honest it sounds like a PSP not an M8.

The M8 Right now are brining in close to 12-1500 I've seen the PSP which are stamped P7 brining in 8-1000. If its a trade in I think Probably its a PSP.

The P7 series guns are outstanding guns. Super accurate if your used to a Glock or a 1911 the grip angel is awesome they may have just built the gun inside your hand. They heat up real bad. After 4 mags though you can almost not touch the gun. Fixed barrel, Cans out of the question. I have also seen one melt a holster after a qual course.

I guess I confused you about importer.

HK used to have their import plant in Chantilly VA untill they sold it to Fairfax County police Department for 1 dollar. Fairfax turned it into the criminal justice academy. They have really cool ranges in the basement from what I hear.

HK moved to Sterling (Loudon coundy VA)
    HK recently just moved their importer to Mississippi ( I think)

This is kind of like Sig when they went from Tysons Corner VA (thats when they missprinted abunch of 226's to say Lysons Corner, VA) To Herndon VA, to Exeter NH.

Its an incredible gun to have in your collection.

If your looking for specifically a Brand new M8 Last time I checked about 2 months ago one of my buddies had 5 for sale. He is a FFL holder in Vienne VA. I think he was asking 12-13 NIB. PM me and I'll send you his email address.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; June 1st, 2007 at 04:06 PM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

LMAO rob thanks for the review . I know some of the cons ( butt heavy , possibility of an idiot shooting self by holding trigger back and depressing the grip cocker ect.. ) as far as leather goes i will most likely place an order with one of our resident smiths for a nice " bbq rig " since that is most likely the use the p7 will get .. bbq duty , possibly eventualy engraved and refinished if it is in fact as clean as its supposed to be . Heck from what i can see a p7 is destinctive enough to make a fine bbq pistol if left stock lol . In any event it wont be a " beater " gun , but i hope that my years of fantasy about just how sweet they are is not disappointed on the range . I have fondled them many times , and if i remember right i shot one once , but it was the double stack and i thought it was " chunky " and over priced for how it behaved in the hand . anyway all input is appreciated . If you have experiance with the p7 good , or bad , chime in .

P7

I have one of the "purple" P7M8s. It has macined groove on the slide and an odd finish. Supposedly from a removal of a police marking and a refinish job. Mine had night sights that were almost dead, and a bit loose in the slide, I assume after being removed for refinishing and reinstalled. Replacements from Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...2fNIGHT+SIGHTS
    I have heard bad things about Pro-Mag magazines from some online sources. I have not tested them myself. I have 10 factory magazines. They're expensive. Available by the ton on Ebay, if you like shopping for gun stuff there. Any shop should be able to order factory magazines for you. Several distributors had them when I got mine (as payment for some gunsmithing). I've seen an armorers manual on CD/DVD advertised, and I'll probably invest in one of those. I used the one from Gun Digest I had in the gunshop's reference library to do the detail strip on mine (it was for the PSP, but the M8 is nearly the same). http://www.amazon.com/Digest-Book-Fi...727503&sr=1-77
    It does not kick any harder than any other 9mm, but the slide seems to move faster. Call it "snappy" the recoil impulse is very quick. I'm a lefty, and leather is not easy to find in any case. Having a holster made by:http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/17A.htm
    I carry 124gr Hydra Shok in it. I think I'll stay as close to standard 9mm as I can. Don't want to mess with +P+ or subsonic 147gr in a gas-delayed pistol. It shoots them, and range ball, with great accuracy. I've had zero malfunctions, and am careful to clean it after every session at the range.
    I plan to carry it concealed as well as exposed when I'm working at the gunshop. I have a few guns that I carry when I'm going to carry exposed that are rare, or not commonly seen. Call it gee-whiz factor, CDI, or whatever. It gets extra points for rarity and being cool, but it's also a fully capable CCW and defense gun.

YES: That's the term I was looking for. BBQ gun!
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; June 1st, 2007 at 04:09 PM.

oO( damm dual rob's dont see that often on a thread this close lol )
    Rob99VMI04 As stated i really dont know the actual importer , or how they may " electro pencil " crap onto the p7 but i was told by the guy i am getting it off of it is HK importing . I might have mis understood , as you speculate , I admit i have not asked all the questions that i should on the firearm , but as stated i have confidince that if i am dis pleased in any way i can re coup my $$ if not make some . Heck look at the price of mags alone lol . If i can possibly scrape up another $100 ill tag on some more mags at the price ( about $24 each on the deal ) .

Edited to add just got my local dealer on getting in contact with the seller so that ffl issues wont hold anything up next week or so . Now to round up the cash and put it on the debit card so there is no holdup lol .

LMAO rob thanks for the review . I know some of the cons ( butt heavy , possibility of an idiot shooting self by holding trigger back and depressing the grip cocker ect.. ) as far as leather goes i will most likely place an order with one of our resident smiths for a nice " bbq rig " since that is most likely the use the p7 will get .. bbq duty , possibly eventualy engraved and refinished if it is in fact as clean as its supposed to be . Heck from what i can see a p7 is destinctive enough to make a fine bbq pistol if left stock lol . In any event it wont be a " beater " gun , but i hope that my years of fantasy about just how sweet they are is not disappointed on the range . I have fondled them many times , and if i remember right i shot one once , but it was the double stack and i thought it was " chunky " and over priced for how it behaved in the hand . anyway all input is appreciated . If you have experiance with the p7 good , or bad , chime in .
    The Double stack one is the P7 M13 and I think they made a M10. My buddy at my other job says hes got one that shoots 380, 32, and 22 its got different converssion kits apparently. I've never seen it but I trust the guy.

Basically its HK Hype! Don't get me wrong great piece of machinery. From what I understand HK discontinued that gun in late O5 or early 06. I remember reading on another board that somebody got one that was date stamped 06 and called HK a bunch of times, got transffered all over the company and finally got hung up on. The M8's when they were still being sold, were retailling for aroun 600-800 New, and almost over night jumped $500. Now they have almost double in price. It sounds like their trying to have a gun that has serious collectors value. Which people are buying them. I want one nickle finished only because of DIE HARD-When Hans Grubber "BUUUUBBY" had one.

oO( damm dual rob's dont see that often on a thread this close lol )
    Rob99VMI04 As stated i really dont know the actual importer , or how they may " electro pencil " crap onto the p7 but i was told by the guy i am getting it off of it is HK importing . I might have mis understood , as you speculate , I admit i have not asked all the questions that i should on the firearm , but as stated i have confidince that if i am dis pleased in any way i can re coup my $$ if not make some . Heck look at the price of mags alone lol . If i can possibly scrape up another $100 ill tag on some more mags at the price ( about $24 each on the deal ) .

It will still say HK but it will say as well the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    My buddy at my other job says hes got one that shoots 380, 32, and 22 its got different converssion kits apparently. I've never seen it but I trust the guy.
    P7K3- interchangeable barrels and mags(and I believe a slide too). I had a .380 and never could find a conversion kit. 2 months after I traded it off, I stumbled across a mint .22 and .32 kit, As-NIB, for something like $250, in a pawn shop. The K3 uses a hydraulic buffer, instead of the gas cylinder and piston of the larger cousins

RR, you can suppress it. It requires an extended, threaded barrel, and it would have to be pressed into the frame. A couple of guys on PCT and HKPro reported excessive, nasty, blowback, however, and the concensus was there were better platforms, unless you were like "Bo". Search him on HK Pro. An HK collection to make you cry.

I have a P7M8 and I love it. It was a handgun I'd coveted for over 2 decades prior to acquiring one. It carries well, shoots well, and is just a neat little piece of machining/engineering. I still need to get it a good holster (K&D) and some new grips (probably Nill).

B.

I shot one once at an HK factory demo and it was the most natural pointing pistol I have ever held in my hand. I think they are fabulous pistols and I hope that you enjoy yours.
    Lifetime NRA Member
    Bleeding Heart, Gun-Toting Liberal (sort of)

VIP Member
    I have a "PSP." Great gun....gets a bit hot after firing a full mag of ammo. Very accurate.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have 2 of them.........both P7 with Euro mag releases...........I've also had the P7M8s as well...........ALL work flawlessly, but the older Arlington Va guns heat up (all the P7 Euro guns> The M8 version has the heat shields and the longer trigger guard as well...........the Chantillty Va guns are sought after...
    The P7 is considered to be one of the safest handguns out on the market...........You can actually take out the firing pin assy, (from the rear of the slide) and it's considered totally safe............away from smaller hands and eyes.....<kids> I've carried mine for over 25 yrs now, and would stake my life on it.. <I bought mine for the "outragous" price of 375.00 each in 1980-82>
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links