Storm Lake Barrel for G23?

This is a discussion on Storm Lake Barrel for G23? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered a Storm Lake drop in barrel for my G23 so I can shoot lead at my club's indoor range. Does any anyone ...

Thread: Storm Lake Barrel for G23?

Storm Lake Barrel for G23?

I just ordered a Storm Lake drop in barrel for my G23 so I can shoot lead at my club's indoor range.

Does any anyone have experience with Storm Lake barrels? Please share.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have one in a 1911......great barrel! I would purchase another one!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thanks. The price couldn't be beat ($98) and since I just wanted it for the lead slinging capability and not match grade accuracy, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Administrator
    They are great barrels.
    The non ported GLOCK barrels sell for 139.00 at Brownell's...so you saved yourself a bit of $$$.
    I think they make the barrels for the SIG & Detonics also.

OK - Here is some info for you.

Mfr: STORM LAKE

Easy Installation, Superb Accuracy Stainless Steel Gives A Unique Contrast To Black Slide

Storm Lake Barrels manufactures quality match grade handgun barrels for 1911, Glock, SigArms, and Springfield XD model handguns.
    Several well known and respected handgun manufacturers in the industry have also chosen Storm Lake Barrels as their OEM barrel manufacturer.
    Storm Lake Barrels have been recognized for their accuracy and longevity since 1983.
    All barrels are machined from solid rifle-grade 416 stainless steel bar stock and hardened to 40 - 42 HRC.
    Storm Lake Barrels uses only cut broach rifling for all barrels, which we believe provides the most accurate barrels on the market.
    Rifling features one turn per 16 inches with a left hand twist.
    Options such as porting and threading are available on all barrels manufactured.
    Storm Lake Barrels is dedicated to excellence in accuracy, excellence in quality, and excellence in value.
    This is our guarantee. All Storm Lake Barrels are proudly made in the USA in our own facility by our own staff.
    We do not subcontract our work.

Barrels and Bushings made from 416 Stainless Steel machined from solid barstock.
    Tolerances are held to +/- .001" or less in critical areas.
    Finish heat treat on barrels and bushings is 40-42 Rockwell C.
    Bushings are run in .582 Std and Commander length.
    Barrels feature cut broach rifling; One turn per 16" left hand twist - 6 equal spaces
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've got a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 23. I LOVE IT! Two pistols in one! Plus, the barrel is stainless, which contrasts nicely with the Glock tenifer finish. It is completely drop-in, no fitting needed. Slap in a Glock 19 mag, and you're ready to go. I had no malfunctions with 100 rounds of Winchester White Box and 50 rounds of Remington 115 grain fmj. Everything worked fine, no problems with the .40 extractor pulling out the 9mm cases.

I'm thinking about getting the .357 Sig barrel, just for grins. 3 pistols in one!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I have a storm lake barrel for my G23, but i have not shot it yet. The barrel is "in the white" and I want to have it finished first.
    Look like a nice barrel, but what can you tell by looking ??

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    The barrel is "in the white" and I want to have it finished first.

How are you finishing it, and are you doing it yourself?

Eh, that's been the slow part. I want to do a PVD finish but there is a really slim selection that are done at low temp (<@700F). Most of them run 700-1200F and that would ruin the barrel's temper.

I've got one

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I just ordered a Storm Lake drop in barrel for my G23 so I can shoot lead at my club's indoor range.

Does any anyone have experience with Storm Lake barrels? Please share.
    I have a pretty new SL barrel on my Glock 23 and so far am VERY pleased. I was blown away by the quality of manufacture and it feeds Rainier plated bullets without a bobble. After reading Metro 40's post I wonder if I should have gotten the 9mm conversion. I didn't because of the recommendation that you not use them for CCW.

Administrator

Post GLOCK Drop In Barrels

The aftermarket barrels available for Glock that are "drop in" like Storm Lake and EFK Firedragon BarSto are Match Grade barrels.
    They are held to tight internal and external tolerances.
    If you "drop one in" and it fits - and it does not move at the muzzle and it does not move at the rear they will give you match grade performance and accuracy.
    Actually the standard factory Glock barrel is technically a high quality match grade barrel if it fits properly.

just fyi
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by MajorDude View Post
    I have a pretty new SL barrel on my Glock 23 and so far am VERY pleased. I was blown away by the quality of manufacture and it feeds Rainier plated bullets without a bobble. After reading Metro 40's post I wonder if I should have gotten the 9mm conversion. I didn't because of the recommendation that you not use them for CCW.
    I just use mine for target shooting/plinking. It's good to have a 9mm, even if you don't particularly care for the caliber. 9mm is like .22lr, just a standard caliber that every place that sells any ammo at all will have in stock. Plus, I'm teaching my son to shoot, and the 9mm in a Glock is a great way to teach semi auto shooting. Ammo is still fairly cheap, also.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorDude View Post
    After reading Metro 40's post I wonder if I should have gotten the 9mm conversion. I didn't because of the recommendation that you not use them for CCW.
    No problem using the 9mm barrel for CCW as long as you also change the ejector for a 9mm unit.

Links