Input requested: Glock 26/27, Kahr Arms

This is a discussion on Input requested: Glock 26/27, Kahr Arms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking of adding a smaller pistol to the inventory, preferably something compact that would work in a tuckable holster. I would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input requested: Glock 26/27, Kahr Arms

I have been thinking of adding a smaller pistol to the inventory, preferably something compact that would work in a tuckable holster. I would be interested in opinions on the Glock 26/27 and any of the Kahr Arms products that you folks have experience with.

I plan to try these at my range soon, but I'd be interested in this group's thoughts as well.

Thanks,

SSKC

Exclamation G27 my $.02

I can relate what I have found. I didn't pick this gun up and start point shooting it well right off. I'm getting close to 1000 rounds out of it now and I can point shoot it pretty well, good enough to stake my life on it. It has caused me problems in that I short stroke the reset on my 1911 after I get tired and am shooting the Glock and several other handguns for several hours. I had never shortstroked a trigger in my life before this. As for carrying the little Glock. WOW it's a dream. Recoil. I don't think it is bad at all. You will want a rubber grip as the backstrap is very rough and will make your hand burn a little after 150 or 200 quick rounds. The recoil is a quick little snap not a kick. I like the extention that I got to cover a G23 magazine to convert the grip to a longer surface. I have never just shot the gun with it on alone to see if the palm "burn" does not happen. Anything I didn't cover? Oh yes, I have not shot defensive rounds in the dark as of yet to see how much flash I get. I have Corbons for carry and will try them at night next week as I will be some place that I can do that without concern to disturbing folks.

I have a G27 that I carry off duty all the time. But if I had the money, I would get a Kahr PM40. The G27 is just as thick as the full sized Glocks, which will make it print more than a Kahr if you get a tuckable holster. The Kahr is flatter, and will definitely be easier to conceal under a tucked in shirt. It's 0.94 inches versus 1.18 wide. It doesn't sound like a lot, but when you have to conceal it tucked, it makes a LOT of difference. In my personal opinion the Kahr is just as smooth, if not smoother than the Glock, and just as good of quality.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

DC Founder
    I, too, have been thinking about a backup lately and the Kahr PM40 is what I am thinking I will go after. It's subject to change if I get on a different kick before my fund gets built up enough to actually buy one.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I carry a Kahr Arms P9

I carry virtually every day and love it. Aside from a Kel Tec it is the most compact auto there is. Believe me if you carry a lot you want light weight and compact.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

FLM
    I bought a Kahr PM9 a few months ago and I'm extremely pleased with it. With 147 gr Ranger T, the recoil is mild, it's amazingly accurate and I've yet to have a misfire. The perfect pocket gun in my opinion.

Sorry for a long winded answer

Well to be honest I have had 2 Kahr K 40s and 1 MK40 and a K9 and a E-9 and will be very honest I like the K series alot it fits my hand quite well. I found that with any of the Kahr Poly 40s to watch out they seem to be having alot of problems. My last K40 had a major problem with the slide and barrel peening I fought with Kahr for about 3 months to get the slide and barrel replaced. I would had wished they replaced the whole gun but was lucky to get what was done,done. My first K40 has over 6000 rounds thru it and is nice to carry but I am not happy with the accurcy with the cartiage in the Kahrs. The MK series is great for concelment but with my bear paw size hands was a realy #$^%@ to shoot.
    I have not dealt with 9mm since I left the Army and only carried a M9 for about 7 months. Last month I bought a Kahr K-9 and E-9. I'll tell you these 2 guns can shoot. At 25 yards off of a rest htey keep under 3". Recoil to be honest what recoil, I am shooting +P & +P+ loads and it feels like 38 wadcutters. Follow up shots are a breeze, the locals LEOs can't keep up as far as speed,( but I think I have alot more years in training than they do. No offense but most of them around here are under 10 years on the force). As far as Kahr Poly 9s go I think they are good guns but IMHO I will pratice with my steel or stainless 9s and use the poly as a carry not shot alot gun. Now about the Glocks go I had a 17 & 19 in 1987 fired 50 round out of each and gave them both to my brother. They can really shoot but I am was stuck on wheel guns and anything above a 40 cal then. As I have gotten older I find I am looking at Glock differently and even considering a 19 or a 26 down the road.
    With either gun you won't go wrong. I would say get the one that feels right and practice woth it till you feel confortable with it.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    As you know, I feela combat gun is like a Dixie-Cup or an airbag. It has a job to do, it's not designed to be gilded or worshipped.

I carry a Glock 27. I like the .40 SW Golden Sabers. I believe they can save my life and the lives of people in my care.

After the shooting, if I'm still standing, the investigating officer can have my gun. If he'd like to keep it, I won't really care.

*POOOF*, the airbag worked. *Crush*, that Dixie-Cup of water was just the thing I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by FLM
    I bought a Kahr PM9 a few months ago and I'm extremely pleased with it. With 147 gr Ranger T, the recoil is mild, it's amazingly accurate and I've yet to have a misfire. The perfect pocket gun in my opinion.
    I also have a PM9 and have never had any sort of a malfunction, though it did take me a good while to figure out to take it apart for cleaning as the instructions were wrong. A great and very concealable pistol

I've been carrying a Glock 26 in a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. since december. I dont tuck my shirt in due to Ohio's asscinine car carry requirements, but I have tried tucking at home and it does a pretty good job if I blouse the shirt out around the gun.Just have to watch reaching or bending to avoid printing. If they ever change this car carry BS, or when I move the heck out of this state to South Carolina(which ever comes first ) I will buy all of my shirts in Xtra Tall size so I have plenty of shirt tail to blouse with. I gettin tired of walking around looking like a bum with my shirt tails out!

Scott.

G27 is one of the best, RELIABLE packages out there for CCW/BUG. I have read many bad stories about Khars...tho I havent owned one....I carry Glocks...having a 23, 27 and a 30...and a 9mm conversion barrel and G26 mags...Ive almost gotta G26 as well...

I shoot Glocks better tahn any other handgun I've tried..it fits, it works...shoot the guns you want to buy..see how they feel in YOUR hand..and then research to see if it's a viable shoice.

Good luck
    Brad B.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've shot both and currently own a Kahr P9. The grips on Glocks have never felt right to me (feels like it is shifting in my hand) and the new finger groves are even more uncomfortable. I've never heard anything bad about the Kahr's metal frames or the 9mm polymer frames. By all accounts, the PM40's (Polymer Micro 40 S&W) has had quite a few issues. The Kahr's recoil is not bad at all, despite the low weight and it is flat.

Well, I went to the range yesterday to try 'em out. The plan was to shoot the G26 and Kahr 9mm side by side, then do the same with the G27 and Kahr .40. When I got to the range I found out they were closed due to a ventilation problem. I'll try again when they get it fixed.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts on these mini autos. If anyone else has some input, please let us hear it.

SSKC

Lightbulb Hi-Cap Options....

Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    I would be interested in opinions on the Glock 26/27 and any of the Kahr Arms products that you folks have experience with.SSKC
    I just got back from my IDPA match and used my Glock 27. This match was the deciding factor in what to carry on my upcoming trip to Texas to pick up the new pup in June. I was struggling to make the decision on whether to carry the Sig P245 or the Glock M27. Don't want to carry them both for reasons of security for the gun.

Today's match made the decision for Glock easy. I can carry a standard 9rd mag in the weapon for easy concealment and have the two M22 mags on my hip for backup. I have the little plastic "spacer" in place on each hi-cap so it's like holding a full sized grip instead of a minigun with the mags sticking out. That's a total of 40rds (including the chamber) on tap instantly. One course of fire was a tad bit long for what also classifies as a BUG under IDPA rules, but I kept all rounds in the "A" zone anyway.

I love my P245 because it's a Sig and a 45 but on such a long trip where much of it will be rural travel, I like the option of having LOTS of "bang" before I have to top off the mags from a box. Yes, I'll have the aforementioned 40rds in the mags, on my person, but on such a trip I'll also be carrying a couple of 50rd boxes of more carry ammo....just in case.

I have heard only good things about Kahr the gun. But does it matter to you that the majority stock holder is the Reverend Sun Yung Moon? It's a "Moonie" company. I mean, heck, they produce a great product...but it does matter to some folks. I just stick with my Glock for the hi-cap options. I don't think Kahr makes any hi-cap mags....
    Last edited by ExSoldier; April 23rd, 2005 at 04:35 PM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a Glock 27 (although I prefer 9mm to .40), and I think that it is a great carry gun. It conceals very well, but it also big enough to control easily. One big advantage to them is that you can carry a spare mag from the 19/23 or even 17/22 models. I usually keep a 27 mag with a +1 on it when I carry my G27, but I do have several G23 mags that I can use with it if I so desire.

Another advantage is that you can also use the compact or fullsize counterpart Glocks and get really comfortable with one manual of arms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links