duty gun question - Page 2

duty gun question

This is a discussion on duty gun question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mocarryguy If I couldn't carry my Glock, I would go back to a wheel gun! A wheel gun...why that only gives you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: duty gun question

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    If I couldn't carry my Glock, I would go back to a wheel gun!
    A wheel gun...why that only gives you a maximum of 8 shots with certain revolvers. Everyone knows you need at least 18 rounds with three extra mags, plus a BUG or two hidden away. You sound like a very logical guy, all makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Actually, mag capacity was one of the least reasons that I chose the Glock. The main thing that sold me on the Glock was the weight, reliability and durability of the weapon. I have a rust issue. Every other auto I owned (and I've owned them all except for an Hk USP!) turned to rust in my hands...except the Glock! If hi-caps were banned again, it really wouldn't hurt my feelings that much. I can get the job done just fine with 10 rounds or less. If you need to fire your weapon to defend yourself and your family, and you need more than 6, 8 or 10 rounds - you've lost already!

You can not miss fast enough in a gunfight.

I actually have a pair of Sigs (226 and 228) and a pair of 1911s (Norinco and a Commander) that I routinely carry. I personally have found little difference between the full size and and the compacts as far as concealability. But then again I am 604/300, so that might have something to do with it. I am a big fan of the Sigs. For a duty gun I would go with a 226 with night sights. If this was also your off duty carry weapon and you can't conceal something that big then I would go with the 229. I am not saying the 229 is inadequate in any way, just that if you have to go with precision aimed fire I like the longer sight radius of the 226.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    If I couldn't carry my Glock, I would go back to a wheel gun!
    A wheel gun...why that only gives you a maximum of 8 shots with certain revolvers. Everyone knows you need at least 18 rounds with three extra mags, plus a BUG or two hidden away. You sound like a very logical guy, all makes sense.[/QUOTE]

I think Glock 'em down is talking about Glock's simplicity of arms. It's also why the SA XDs are getting so popular. They're basically as simple to get into action as a revolver.

The Glocks are also very durable because of their Tennifer finish & polymere (Plastic) frame. I don't know about XDs personally, but they seem to have similar traits, plus the grip safety.

What I find amusing about the XDs is that they're about the same width as the Glocks (Aren't they?), but people talk about the Glock's being so blocky.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

OD*
    Where in the heck are all these folks buying revolvers with wheels?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Could not agree with you more about the revolvers. Just seems most believe that you have to have an arsenal on you to be secure. To the point, if I need that much ammo, I have probably lost the battle. I have a Smith 7 shooter 686 and a 625, just cuz I like the 45ACP in it. Not hard to sell me on revolvers. I own about 12 of em...
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Those 625's are sweeeet! I would love to have one and would darn sure carry it along with a couple full moons and feel well protected indeed!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Administrator
    Honestly, I dont know what I would do if I had to carry a revolver. I never have, and never was much good with them.
    I've joked that I was going to carry a Colt SA on each hip, maybe I should...
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien Nation View Post
    Those 625's are sweeeet! I would love to have one and would darn sure carry it along with a couple full moons and feel well protected indeed!
    Yep I do

Taurus111,
    Not really sure what your choices are. Most departments issue duty weapons. In some cases you might have a list of approved duty options. Other than the special units, very few departments allow 1911 platforms for duty carry. I carried 1911s for years, but finally gave in to the Glock 21. It made more sense as a uniform duty weapon due to the firepower available on the belt. Important in an area where backup is not always available. Your choice should be simple based on department guide lines, and personal preferences.
    str1

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frankborelli View Post
    If you refuse to carry a Glock, go with the Sig.
    I cant disagree more. After 20 years on the job, and seven of them forced to carry Sigs, there are tons of weapons that are better suited for the job than Sigs, unless you like that weapon, but I wouldnt recommend it to a rookie.

If your agency allows single action carry, then I'd look at a Browning HP, STI, Kimber or Para Ord for duty carry. With ParaOrd you also have the option of carrying their LDA (light double action) if your agency does not allow single action carry.

In non-1911 frames, the Springfield XD is an awsome duty weapon, as are Glocks. Serious discussion nation wide holds true that it is harder to train officers on Berettas, Sigs and S&W (non-1911s) AND any weapon that has a transition type of trigger system.

Depending on your agencies requirements, and your personal preference is the major factor, but I would highly recommend that you not choose a system that has a transitional trigger design (Double Action first shot and Single action afterwards).

Just my opinions, but their also based upon over twenty someodd years of experience.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I am going to carry a Sig 220 on duty and may switch to a 220 Carry DAK when I get out of the academy. Sig does make a SAO 220 which is the 45acp Sig. So its similar in operation to the 1911.

But the 229 is a fine duty weapon and I've seen more than one Officer carrying one. It also has the same capacity as the larger 229 in 40/357 Sig. And I would go with the standard or two-tone finish as they are less expensive and the Equinox is really too fancy for a duty weapon.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Our local Sheriff's department went through extensive tests and settled on the Smith M&P. It is gaining in popularity, and seems that it is earning it.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Fed wif a sig, I am not sure I am getting you on this. I definitely agree that the transitional trigger is a big issue with inexperienced shooters. Your comment about there being tons of guns out there better suited makes me wonder if its just the action or is there a deeper issue? I mean if its just the action would you not recommend either a 226 or a 229 thats double action only?
    Just curious

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    There are better DAO trigger systems out there (Lighter & shorter). I believe the Sig DAK system is one, but I'm not that familiar with the DAK system.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I definitely agree that the transitional trigger is a big issue with inexperienced shooters.
    This is going to be a thread hijack, but why? It's very easy to see how and why the trigger pull changes. It's just as easy to remember to de-cock as it is to remember to re-engage a manual safety.

I was just taught to shoot by the military on a Beretta M9, and my duty gun is a sig DA/SA, so that's the only system I've ever carried professionally. I've taught hundreds of students the basics of firing one, as well, and never found it particularly difficult.

I understand personal preferences, but I don't think there's anything inherently more difficult about DA/SA, aside from needing 10 minutes more explanation than a DAO system. And it requires the same amount of time as any SA system, as you explain cocking/decocking (yeah, I know you shouldn't have to de-cock)/all the various safeties.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links