duty gun question

This is a discussion on duty gun question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this is really not the entirely correct place to ask this but I figure there are a lot of leos here and the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: duty gun question

duty gun question

I know this is really not the entirely correct place to ask this but I figure there are a lot of leos here and the might have some input along with everyone else.
    I need a 40 service size weapon. I would prefer a 1911 but if I am correct Para and Kimber are the only ones that make one? What about buying a new barrel magazines and converting a 45? Also thing about th p229 equinox. Would this be too small for a duty weapon? .please don't mention xds or glocks. I have owned an XD and am well aware of their pros and cons. And I will NOT I repeat NOT carry a block. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am about researched out. (just FYI I am really interested if anyone has converted a 1911. Really want to try that)
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

2. Remove Ads

Talking wow

Last time I post to the forums from my blackberry! I can't spell on this thing worth a poop!
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

OD*
    What about buying a new barrel magazines and converting a 45?
    You would need a slide also, the .40 S&W's case rim is considerably smaller than a .45 ACP's.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    The key to duty weapons is finding something that you like, and something that you can get holsters for, as well as parts. You cannot afford your duty gun to be down while you wait and wait some more for parts.
    Sigs are great, Beretta, HK and S&W all have fine offerings in .40.
    The 229 is a fine gun for duty and it can fill the role as a off duty too. I personally would not buy an equinox for duty, its slightly ghetto, heavy and it will get ruined after you carry it for a bit. I would stick with the plain 229, maybe spring for night sights.
    I would also forget about the .40 1911, they are not known for their stellar reliability. If you are going to do a 1911, go .45. Oh yeah, there is no simple conversion from 40 to 45.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 1st, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    1911s in .40 are pretty rare, (with the exception of the Paras, even then they are few and far between) I've seen 4, two of them I own, the other was a custom/mutt of an STI slide on an Essex frame, the other was a Colt Gov't model.

Another member here has a Kimber in .40.

IIRC, STI regulary makes 1911's in .40

Single stack 1911 mags in .40 are expensive.

Mags from Metal Form cost over $25, Colt factory mags in .40 are equally expensive, the Kimber factory mags in .40 aren't that grat in my opinion and retail for around $22.

Tripp Research makes really good 1911 mags in .40, but don't work too well in my Kimber.

If you don't want a Glock, I'd suggest a Sig 226 or a Smith & Wesson M&P model.

Or as Sixto pointed out, HK.

+1 w/Sixto on the P229 w/night sights. I carried one daily till I picked up the P229SAS, which I just love. They go with me wherever I go. Luck in your choice.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

VIP Member
    The 229 would be a good choice but why not the 226?
    I had one in stainless / .40 and would have loved it for a duty weapon!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I don't know why exactly you're interested in a duty .40. If it's to carry on duty or maybe even as a Reserve Officer, keep in mind many PDs don't allow single action guns.

Like Sixto said, the major manufacturers are the way to go. Parts is an issue, but being able to get an in-policy holster is just as important.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

If you refuse to carry a Glock, go with the Sig.
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

VIP Member
    Sig 226 seems to be the answer to me.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

H&k Usp 40

I believe that the ideal gun for your application would be the H&K USP 40, which can be carried cocked and locked for single action use like a 1911. But it can also be decocked and used in DA/SA mode if you worked for an agency that required this.

Although Sigs are excellent guns, they are somewhat heavy to carry for 8 or 10 hours straight. The USP 40 has the advantage of being about 6 ounces lighter weight than a corresponding Sig, due to its polymer frame. So it is much easier to carry.

I have two USPs and two Sigs, and believe that the USPs are fully as reliable and accurate as the Sigs. Here is a photo of a USP 40:

I'm not a big .40 fan but if I was goingto get one it would definitely be a CZ75B in.40S&W or the new CZ .40 compact(pic).

“You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Yeah, I'd suggest a plain 229 over the Equinox, myself...DA/SA or DAK per your preferences, but for a duty gun, I'd probably recommend the 226 like many others here.

That said, if you're going to conceal it, either on or off duty, the 229 is a fine choice. I carry mine concealed on duty and don't feel short-changed (no pun intended) by the capacity or barrel length.

Personally, as a LEO, I find I like a weapon with no external safety. When I was in the military, it didn't bother me, but given the different circumstances of being a LEO (not always being part of a large unit, working in closer proximity to people who could suddenly turn out to be threats, carrying concealed underneath garments, and, frankly, having more realistic training in handgun scenarios beyond the actual shooting part), I really started to see the value in something that has simple and reliable operation with minimal manipulation. I may have to draw and fire one-handed under less-than-ideal conditions, while fighting off an attacker with one hand or something, and I don't want my inability to establish a good range-style grip or manipulate a small lever to stop me from getting shots off when I need them. Just MHO.

Edit: The 226 X-five models might serve well as an open-carry duty gun, and you could get one SAO if you find it mirrors your 1911 preferences a little more...
    Last edited by AgentX; June 2nd, 2007 at 11:41 AM.

I'm an LEO and I carried a 1911 on duty for about a month or so. Then I discovered polymer bliss and have carried a Glock 22 for 16 years! Police work, IMO, is complicated enough - my weapon doesn't need to be. Glocks are like the revolver - draw, fire, holster. And I'm not even gonna start with the reliability issue OR the fact that if you ever had to use your "custom" 1911, in an armed encounter, even a mediocre defense lawyer (not a GOOD one!) could convince a jury that because your weapon is "custom" you made it MORE LETHAL! Yeah...I've seen it happen. If I couldn't carry my Glock, I would go back to a wheel gun!
    Last edited by Glock 'em down; June 2nd, 2007 at 11:52 AM.

If I couldn't carry my Glock, I would go back to a wheel gun![/QUOTE]

A wheel gun...why that only gives you a maximum of 8 shots with certain revolvers. Everyone knows you need at least 18 rounds with three extra mags, plus a BUG or two hidden away. You sound like a very logical guy, all makes sense.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links